What was that like? Everything else is time-consuming and stressful, but I keep a happy face. When I’m working with artists, I don’t try to make my shit completely theirs. I want to give my mom her house back,” the 20-year-old producer and singer-songwriter says when explaining that he’s been considering an alternative living situation. Do you still make songs on your iPhone? Not now, but soon. You just can’t chase anyone else’s path. I never think about this. He’s too busy giving right now. But, it’s okay. Steve Lacy wears Acne Studios trousers, adidas Originals sneakers, Gucci socks and Emanuele Bicocchi bracelet. Sure. With everything you have going on right now—The Internet’s Beats 1 show, the new album, performances, modeling—what part of your career is most exciting to you? People look at you like [you’re] a perfect Barbie doll for them. Yeah, for the most part. Stream Some by Steve Lacy from desktop or your mobile device. I would say that people come to me for my chord progressions and my guitar tone, maybe. When talking to Lacy about all of this, he appears to be extremely discerning, pausing to answer questions and responding in a hushed voice. I guess it was pretty big, though. I didn’t expect opportunities like that. Are there any artists who you look up to, in terms of thinking about where your career could go? Whatever I make with someone is not the same as I would make with someone else, or myself. His delicate, hypnotic melodies and effortlessly emotive chord progressions are what he’s known for, standing out in both his solo project Steve Lacy’s Demo and in his contributions to the band, formed by the enchanting singer-songwriter Syd and celebrated producer Matt Martians. Is your network connection unstable or browser outdated. Just really organic. To find out more and learn how to opt out, please visit our Being known, unexpectedly. SoundCloud. Take that shit off.” She goes, “Yeah, if you like it, I love it.”. Sign in That’s just the wrong thing to do, any time. Khalila Douze is a freelance writer and tarot enthusiast based in Los Angeles. Then, when I get some time for myself that’s when you can’t get a hold of me. “I feel selfish. Chords for STEVE LACY - SOME. At other times, his position is fervent, immediate, and clear. Yeah, very strong no. Need help? if my bf here’s this ily <33. Getting his own place will be a new adventure, but Lacy’s used to moving around and experimenting. It was such a big moment in fashion, and arguably the biggest show this year. In high school, the young musician jumped between three different schools in search of a musical “purity” he experienced in ninth grade—one that could only emerge from being in a new place and from his receptivity to change. SSENSE uses cookies that identify your device to provide you with a better online shopping experience, tailored to your preferences. Khalila Douze spoke with Steve Lacy on an afternoon car ride from Compton, CA to Orange, CA, while he enjoyed his first meal of the day: a breakfast burrito and horchata. Your current browser isn't compatible with SoundCloud. When I enter the front door of his childhood home, parked on a corner where two quiet streets meet in Compton, CA, all I see are things. It was amazing. We make the small events big events, because that’s all there is to do over here... going to Jamba Juice like, “Yo, we’re about to get lit. I’m working on Steve Lacy shit. I call it “get into my groove.” That takes days at a time of just being at home experimenting with sounds. Steve Lacy is that dude. So, it’s a blessing and a curse. Now I’m focusing on giving—giving my inspiration and my creativity to others who it will inspire. Steve Lacy wears Missoni crewneck, Acne Studios trousers, adidas Originals sneakers and Gucci socks. It could be small things too. I’m not broke anymore. Solange. Need help? Some by Steve Lacy published on 2016-11-01T13:54:34Z. a song series. That’s the only approval I really give a shit about.