This bag is usually a whole tawed skin turned wrong side out, with the legs tied up and the neck forming the opening. Shepherd God’s flock among you, not overseeing out of compulsion but freely, according to God’s will; not for the money but eagerly; And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away. (Luke 2:8) cf. That a shepherd of the flock is one who exercises the good of charity, must be obvious to every one, for this is a familiar figure in the Word of both Old and New Testaments. A second time He asked him, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?”“Yes, Lord,” he said to Him, “You know that I love You.”“Shepherd My sheep,” He told him. Shepherding was the chief occupation of the Israelites in the early days of the patriarchs: Abraham ( Genesis 12:16 ); Rachel ( Genesis 29:9 ); Jacob ( Genesis 30:31-40 ); Moses ( … The progenitors of the Jews in the patriarchal age were nomads, and their history is rich in scenes of pastoral life. The routine of the shepherd's duties appears to have been as follows: In the morning he led forth his flock from the fold (John 10:4) which he did by going before them and calling to them, as is still usual in the East; arrived at the pasturage he watched the flock with the assistance of dogs, (Job 30:1) and should any sheep stray, he had to search for it until he found it, (Ezekiel 34:12; Luke 15:4) he supplied them with water, either at a running stream or at troughs attached to wells, (Genesis 29:7; 30:38; Exodus 2:16; Psalms 23:2) at evening he brought them back to the fold, and reckoned them to see that none were missing, by passing them "under the rod" as they entered the door of the enclosure (Leviticus 27:32; Ezekiel 20:37) checking each sheep, as it passed, by a motion of the hand, (Jeremiah 33:13) and, finally, he watched the entrance of the fold throughout the night, acting as porter. When you look at the deeper meaning of a word, you can look at the total numerical value in different ways (I only use one). Proud member Sometimes the word "pastor" is used instead ( Jeremiah 2:8 ; 3:15 ; 10:21 ; 12:10 ; 17:16 ). Behold, he shall come up like a lion from the swelling of Jordan against the habitation of the strong: but I will suddenly make him run away from her: and who is a chosen man, that I may appoint over her? (John 10:3) [See Sheepfold, under SHEEP] The shepherd's office thus required great watchfulness, particularly by night. I will give you shepherds who are loyal to Me, and they will shepherd you with knowledge and skill. And Moses was a shepherd with the flock of Jethro, his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the west [of] the desert, and he came to the mountain of God, to Horeb. The usual time for watering is at noon, at which time the flocks are led to the watering-places (Genesis 29:2,3). "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". All Rights Reserved. All the flocks of Arabia shall be gathered together unto thee, the rams of Nebaioth shall minister unto thee (Isaiah 60:7). They were offered as burnt offerings (Leviticus 1:10 ), sin offerings (Leviticus 4:32 ), guilt offerings (Leviticus 5:15 ), and peace offerings (Leviticus 22:21 ). Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. Once you experience the swiftness and ease-of-use SwordSearcher gives you right on your own computer, combined with the most powerful search features available, you will never want to use the web to do online study again. And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them. He will also trample the winepress of the fierce anger of God, the Almighty. Jesus commissioned Peter to feed His sheep (John 21:1 ). In the winter of 1910-11 an unprecedented storm ravaged Northern Syria. Furthermore, sheep were major offerings in the sacrificial system (Exodus 20:24 ). Shepherd, Flock That a shepherd of the flockis one who exercises the good of charity, must be obvious to every one, for this is a familiar figure in the Word of both Old and New Testaments.