What about the Cincinnati Reds prospects we never saw in 2020? Hassell's swing is easy and as smooth as they come. With the dramatically shortened Major League Baseball amateur draft coming up later this week, we wanted to take a look at some of the names that are floating around the Reds spot (number 12) in the first round.

Each week we have been profiling one player who might be chosen as the Mariners’ first-round pick, with the caveat that it’s very early in the draft cycle, and players will emerge and rise and fall and get injured and get healthy and all the vicissitudes of a young baseball player’s life. 16-rated prospect in the MLB 200 as an outfielder. Here are 10 things to know about prep outfielder Robert Hassell, selected No.

It's got to be the same game and fun at the same time. Robert Harris Hassell III (born August 15, 2001) is an American baseball outfielder in the San Diego Padres organization. Hassell is currently listed a very lean 6’2”, 190-195 lbs. What’s most impressed me in watching Hassell’s at-bats is his ability to make adjustments mid-at-bat; he picks up what a pitcher is trying to do against him quickly and adjusts his plan at the plate accordingly. I normally don't burn much time talking about preps, as updates from high school games are normally about useless. 8 overall. A lost year for our ability to see them, but not completely lost for their development - we hope. pic.twitter.com/mmHAqkInv3. Yes, he's heard them. But the hope is to at least lay some groundwork during the quiet and baseball-less months so when draft time approaches—in the midst of the MLB and MiLB seasons—we have a solid base of information to pull from. "It's just a base hit.

The day it's not fun to me anymore is the day I'll have to hang it up.". By grabbing a name in each range that intrigues you and doing an hour or two of homework spread between now and June, you could help us all better know a prospect. Hugh Fisher is No. Robert Hassell Scouting Report.

Hassell burst onto the baseball world at a young age.

The ones who really like him obviously trust that it will be at least average in the future, but others aren’t so sure.

It's my life. With the Astros losing two 2020 choices in a reportedly strong draft, the Cubs sit at 16 and 51, pending the Marcell Ozuna signing and the Red Sox punishment decision. He followed that by hitting .514 at the 18-U World Cup in South Korea, earning International Player of the Year for his performance in the tournament. Hassell, a Vanderbilt signee, is listed as the No. The Under-18 Baseball World Cup is going on right now, giving us a chance to see some of 2020’s prominent names in action; for Hassell, who was barred from playing in the Perfect Game All-American Classic because of a ridiculous Tennessee athletics rule (athletes cannot participate in showcases or All-Star Games after school starts), it’s been a bit of a coming-out party. The teacher often learns more than the student. Preller had made plans to select sweet-swinging outfielder Robert Hassell at No. "He came back inside and told my mom, ‘I think that's the worst thing I've ever seen in my life; I think we should try something else,'" Hassell said. Today the theme remains the same, as I’ll go deeper on Robert Hassell, a lefty batting outfield prep prospect. Last week, Wick took a look at two potential prospects, Austin Hendrick and Pete Crow-Armstrong, two lefty batting outfield prep prospects that have been linked to the Reds in recent weeks. 59 prospect in the MLB 200. The MLB Network preview show begins at 1 p.m. PT, with live coverage on MLB Network and ESPN2 beginning at 2 p.m. PT. MLB Reacts: For which remaining team doth thou fan hardest?

"I knew at an early age I wanted to grow up and be a baseball player. Here's a look at Hassell. Vanderbilt has four players in the MLB 200 who are expected to be picked. Hassell is expected to be the first Tennessee high school baseball player selected on Wednesday during the MLB Draft (6 p.m. CT, ESPN, MLB Network). It was Hassell's first exposure to the bright lights, and he says the experience prepared him to play regularly in front of dozens of scouts. "People ask me if I'm nervous. Along with that, there’s some concern that as his body fills out a little more as he ages, Hassell may size himself out of center field. The Franklin, TN native is currently committed to Vanderbilt, but I imagine a selection in the top 10-15 of the draft will probably change that commitment. A 6-foot-2 center … The bat doesn't sound like a serious concern yet, and he seems to have am advanced approach. Rest easy, Joe. Two years later, Hassell was a freshman playing varsity baseball at Independence High. Here’s the blurb from his Perfect Game page: Lean high waisted athletic build, lots of physical projection and room to get stronger. He has an ability to put the good part of the bat on the middle of the ball.". A left-handed hitter from Independence. General manager A.J.

AJ Cassavell covers the Padres for MLB.com.

Mock Drafts. In their latest 2020 mock MLB draft, Baseball America had prep outfielder Robert Hassell going to the Cubs with the 16th overall pick. He doesn’t sell out for power alone, though; here he is making a slight timing adjustment while down in the count, meeting the pitch where it is, and lining it into center for a base hit.

The draft has been reduced to five rounds this year, down from its usual 40, because of the coronavirus pandemic. An incomplete list of baseball names you can sing to Van Halen’s “Panama”, Red Reporter Community Prospect Rankings 2012, Inappropriate cities for current MLB monikers - A Friday List. On Wednesday night, that competitiveness came oozing out in Hassell's response to the two critiques of his game.

And follow @MLBDraft and @MLBDraftTracker on Twitter.

An MLB.com mock draft has him going No. [10] Hassell entered his senior season as one of the best high school prospects for the 2020 Major League Baseball draft and was named a preseason All-American by Baseball America. Padres draft high school OF Hassell at No. Ht/Wt: 6' 2"/195 lbs Position: OF Team: Independence HS (TN) Robert Hassell III- Prospect Profile MLB.com - May : "The best pure hitter in the 2020 prep class, Hassell has a pretty left-handed stroke and the hand-eye coordination to barrel balls with ease. 8 overall by the Padres in the 2020 MLB Draft • Hassell, MLB Pipeline's No. He was selected eighth overall by the Padres in the 2020 MLB draft. And he stuck to his plan. Hassell is currently listed a very lean 6’2”, 190-195 lbs. “First at-bat, he went deep, halfway up the light pole. The sweet swinging lefty from Independence, Tennessee could be in play for the Reds at number 12 in the draft. He was selected eighth overall by the Padres in the 2020 MLB draft. [14], "Vanderbilt picks up two new underclassmen commitments", "The 2018 WILLCO Awards Have Been Handed Out, and Here's Who Won", "Here are 10 Nashville area high school sports athletes to watch in 2019", "2018 MaxPreps Underclass All-American Baseball Team", "Tennessee baseball standout Robert Hassell III 'a freak' at the plate", "Vanderbilt baseball recruit Robert Hassell named Gatorade Tennessee Player of the Year", "Forty-One USA Baseball Alumni Selected in the 2020 MLB Draft", "Indy's Robert Hassell makes USA Baseball 18U National Team roster", "Baseball: Indy's Hassell named USA Baseball's top player after busy summer", "Robert Rakes: Hassell raking in awards ahead of senior season", "These are the best high school 2020 Draft prospects", "2020 High School Preseason All-Americans, Best Tools", "Robert Hassell: Padres Believe They Added 'Best Prep Hitter' in 2020 Draft", "Padres sign first-rounder Robert Hassell III for $4.3 million", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Robert_Hassell_(baseball)&oldid=983163986, United States national baseball team players, Articles which use infobox templates with no data rows, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Career statistics and player information from, This page was last edited on 12 October 2020, at 16:44. He hit three home runs and six doubles with 35 RBIs. Later in the evening the Padres gambled on another high-upside high schooler, selecting right-hander Justin Lange at No. Hassell, a two-time Tennessee Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year, hit .423 as a junior with 14 home runs, eight doubles and 36 RBIs. SAN DIEGO -- Surprises piled up during a wild first hour of the MLB Draft on Wednesday, but the Padres remained unmoved. FanPost Friday: Walk-off, strikeout, or lay out. The Draft continues on Thursday with Rounds 2-5. He was 11 and 12 during those years. mlb . "We think," said Padres scouting director Mark Conner, "we added the best prep hitter in the class.". I just take it as that. It always has to be fun. Lean high waisted athletic build, lots of physical projection and room to get stronger. 16-rated prospect in the MLB 200 as an outfielder. There is some consensus among scouts and writers that Hassell is the best pure hitter in the prep class, with MLB.com including this in his draft bio: Hassell has a pretty left-handed stroke and the hand-eye coordination to barrel balls with ease.

Baseball America has RH3 right on the cusp of the Top 10 HS draft prospects in their latest re-rank and FanGraphs has him 16th overall, neither of which would be slam dunks for opting for a signing bonus rather than college, although MLB’s Jonathan Mayo is significantly higher on Hassell, calling him one of his favorite hitters in the draft. General manager A.J. We'll see what happens. It was Hassell's freshman year at Independence in an intrasquad game before the season. The only potential stumbling block is that Hassell is committed to Vanderbilt, so that might present a signability problem. 16 Draft prospect, is considered the best pure hitter in the high school Draft class, with tremendous hand-eye coordination and a beautiful swing from the left side of the plate that produces hits to all parts of the field. If that sounds kinda familiar, it seems eerily similar to where the Reds were with Jesse Winker a few years ago. Robert Hassell III- Prospect Profile MLB.com - May : "The best pure hitter in the 2020 prep class, Hassell has a pretty left-handed stroke and the hand-eye coordination to barrel balls with ease.

That's been a question, and I don't understand why, honestly.