“He’s worked hard on his swing, but his essence of hitting is bat-to-ball skills,” Rockies manager Bud Black said. From 2016-18, Tapia bounced between the big leagues and Triple-A, always with blazing Minor League numbers and variable Major League performance. by Retrosheet. Updated: Saturday, October 17, 2020 10:52 AM ET, Park Factors Tapia needs to smooth out his full game. But Tapia feels prepared after an apprenticeship as a prospect and a fledgling Major Leaguer. Died: in , All Rights Reserved. All the eating was a little much for Rockies outfielder Raimel Tapia in the beginning. Drew E. Creasman was born in Grand Junction, Colorado and currently resides in Boulder, CO. - Mickey Mantle Generally considered to be the greatest starting pitcher in the history of the New York Yankees, Whitey Ford was among the premier hurlers of his time. Be in better position to hit; playing time depends on it. Raimel Antonio Tapia Linarez (born February 4, 1994) is a Dominican professional baseball outfielder for the Colorado Rockies of Major League Baseball (MLB). We bring you cool stories about the game, players, ballparks and the people that shaped the game! After a leadoff single by Hank Bauer and a sacrifice bunt by Tony Kubek, Gil McDougald hit a line drive that turned into […], On October 4, 1955,  after more than half a century of futility, the Brooklyn Dodgers finally win a World Championship, thanks to Johnny Podres' 2-0 shutout of the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. DENVER -- Rockies manager Bud Black has a catch phrase for the intermittent bolts of lightning, occasionally thunder, outfielder Raimel Tapia provides: “Tap Time!” “He took that to heart,” Salazar said. His expectation is that, as is ours for him.”. Follow him on Twitter @harding_at_mlb and like his Facebook page. Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy (updated 09.02.2015)  |  About Our Ads. Stottlemyre is 1 of 2 players over 9 Post Starts that was able to beat Gibson. Rockies manager Bud Black has a catch phrase for the intermittent bolts of lightning, occasionally thunder, outfielder Raimel Tapia provides: “Tap Time!” With his first clear opportunity for regular starts, Tapia, 26, believes 2020 is truly his time. “But I knew that following that schedule was going to make me a better baseball player and was going to help me support my family and follow my dreams.”. Follow him on Twitter @harding_at_mlb and like his Facebook page. But this spring, Tapia is up about 15-20 pounds (to around 190) from last season, thanks to his dietary changes, a training program and a maturing 6-foot-3, 26-year-old frame. Skip to main content. Reported as the pre-2020 season number of waiver options remaining. I think that’s a good goal to have for myself.”. Rockies manager Bud Black has a catch phrase for the intermittent bolts of lightning, occasionally thunder, outfielder Raimel Tapia provides: “Tap Time!” With his first clear opportunity for regular starts, Tapia, 26, believes 2020 is truly his time. Tapia came up with a deliberate toe-tap. “At 6 a.m., 9 a.m., at noon, 4, 8 and 11 p.m., so [many] different meals throughout the day,” Tapia said. “From the time he was hitting on the back fields of the Dominican, he was able to put bat to ball.”, “Shoot, I don’t know if he can gain an ounce of fat,” Salazar said. Bulked-up Tapia seeks power surge in 2020, 277 hitters with 25 or more extra-base hits. “I’ll watch that, study the pitcher, watch the pitches. There were some fielding mishaps and his tracking of balls toward the wall needed improvement, but to Tapia's credit, he put in extra work pregame and maintained his game energy. The coaches respected Tapia’s instinct and his willingness to listen. “At 6 a.m., 9 a.m., at noon, 4, 8 and 11 p.m., so \[many\] different meals throughout the day,” Tapia said. “So when we played at Texas [March 8], he led off the game with an opposite-field home run.”. Colorado Rockies selected the contract of Raimel Tapia from Modesto Nuts. “My goal would be to win MVP,” Tapia said in Spanish through a translator on Tuesday -- but he was sure to say the three magic letters clearly, so they would be understood in any tongue. Sandy Koufax throws a 3 hit shutout on 2 days rest. He has adjusted that, but his mannerisms, from smelling the bat to some bat-pointing and shoulder touching, give off a quirky nature. Game 3 shifted to Three Rivers Stadium and with Steve Blass available, The Pirates were up 2-1 in the Bottom of the 7th as Frank Robinson had just homered to make it a one run game for the […], "If the World Series was on the line and I could pick one pitcher to pitch the game, I'd choose Whitey Ford every time." “I’ve worked a lot and I’ve worked really hard. “But that’s all the work that I’ve been putting in over the offseason, making myself stronger.”. Thomas Harding has covered the Rockies since 2000, and for MLB.com since 2002. SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- All the eating was a little much for Rockies outfielder Raimel Tapia in the beginning. Colorado Rockies. Black has challenged Tapia to be on time for "Tap Time. Signed by the Colorado Rockies as a non-drafted free agent on Nov. 29, 2010. The Official Site of Minor League Baseball, Isotopes Open Series in Vegas with 6-3 Win, Toolshed: Prospect projections gone right, Fortune favors bold on Isotopes' center field hill, Tapia continues hitting tear for Isotopes. Colorado Rockies recalled CF Raimel Tapia from Albuquerque Isotopes. But so far this year, Tapia’s exit velocity on his four extra-base hits has measured an average of 105 mph. Game 5 of the 1969 World Series. A fierce […], On October 9, 1956 --In a 10-inning scoreless pitching duel with both starters going all the way, Jackie Robinson's walk-off single to left in the bottom of the 10th won the game for Clem Labine and kept the Dodgers' championship hopes alive. The improved timing showed up during his two-run double Tuesday off the Reds’ Dylan Rheault. Raimel Antonio Tapia Linarez (born February 4, 1994) is a Dominican professional baseball outfielder for the Colorado Rockies of Major League Baseball (MLB). Same song, different day for the Rockies who got solid starting pitching and more sparkplug stuff from Raimel Tapia but fell apart late in a loss to the Giants. All Win Expectancy, Leverage Index, Run Expectancy, and Fans Scouting Report data licenced from TangoTiger.com. All UZR (ultimate zone rating) calculations are provided courtesy of Mitchel Lichtman. And he’s ready for that. “It’s not easy,” Tapia said. Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress, Uninterrupted full game broadcast of the New York Mets and the Baltimore Orioles. Raimel Tapia . Tapia doesn’t just dream about hitting. Positions: Bats: L Throws: L Height: 74 Weight: 180 Born: Friday, February 04, 1994 in San Pedro de Macoris, San Pedro de Macoris D.R. With his first clear opportunity for regular starts, Tapia, 26, believes 2020 is truly his time. An off-balance swing with a long finish may make it look like he was trying to hit home runs, but often he was trying to recover from lateness and poor decisions. Died: in , Debut: 9/2/2016 Last Game: 9/30/2018 Full Name: Raimel Antonio Tapia Colorado Rockies optioned CF Raimel Tapia to Albuquerque Isotopes. ", “He’s had enough time in and around the big leagues to know what this big league competition is all about and how he needs to play his game to be a contributor. There is competition, with power-swinging, lefty-hitting Sam Hilliard hoping to build on a solid two-month debut in 2019, although the grueling condensed schedule and the designated hitter in the National League could help many folks get an opportunity. If he realizes his dream, Tapia would qualify. “With ‘Tap,’ and he’ll agree with this, but when he’s under control and he’s controlling the strike zone, I’m not going to say he’s going to be a 100-walk guy, but when he’s swinging at the pitches that he needs to swing at and he’s got his effort level under control, he can do a lot of damage in this league,” said Magadan, who noted that Tapia was one of the team’s better hitters after last year’s All-Star break, when Tapia slashed .290/.321/.375 overall and had a .304 average in July and .351 in August. His aspirations are bigger than that. In what appears to be a lopsided trade, the A's trade a stunned Jeremy Giambi (.274, 8, 17) to Philadelphia in exchange for pinch-hitter John Mabry (.286, 0, 3). Play-by-play data prior to 2002 was obtained free of charge from and is copyrighted Prior to the start of Game Seven of the 1964 World Series, Cardinals starter Bob Gibson grudgingly obliged the press by posing […], October 14, 1965 - Game 7 1965 World Series. Forecasters already are musing that this 60-game, pandemic-affected season could produce strange Award winners. Last season, Tapia’s 37 extra-base hits (nine home runs, including one inside-the-parker, five triples and 23 doubles) averaged 95.3 mph. “My brothers will help me out and send me video.”. The latest Raimel Tapia Stats, Video Highlights, News and more from MiLB.com. With his first clear opportunity for regular starts, Tapia, 26, believes 2020 is truly his time. Contents 1 Career