How to Use Perfect Verb Tenses in English, Past and Past Participles of Common Irregular English Verbs. Present perfect and present perfect progressive. Present Perfect Progressive Tense Example Sentences. The future perfect progressive tense is used for an ongoing action that will be completed at some specified time in the future. Here are a couple of examples of the past perfect tense: After she had sewn up the wound, the doctor realized that her watch was missing! If you are studying English grammar, these three tenses — present perfect, past perfect, and future perfect — may give you gray hair, even if you are only 12. Vocational rather than academic, "Grammar for Grown-ups" is packed with real-life examples and keeps you engaged with a wealth of great quotations from Homer the Greek to Homer the Simpson. Uninstall instructions, End-User License Agreement & Privacy Policy, Use since or ever since with a specific month, year or a period in the past > I have been jogging in this park, Use for with a number of hours, days, months, years > She’s been talking on the phone, Roger ______ at his mother’s house since his divorce.

To form the perfect progressive, use the appropriate tense of the verb have with been and the progressive (-ing) tense of the main verb. There are six progressive tenses: present, past, future, present perfect, past perfect, and future perfect.

Has Jerry been picking fruit from my trees again? I _______ the football score. (has pleaded is in present perfect tense), Roger has been studying marble shooting for fifteen years without learning any worthwhile techniques. Some actions can be expressed in either tense, especially those that started in the past and still occur in the present on a habitual basis. Compare the preceding sentences with examples of the past perfect progressive (try saying that three times fast without spraying your listener! The progressive tense involves action that is, was, or will be in progress at a certain time. (have been counting is in the progressive form of the present perfect tense).
The sales team hasn’t been performing at the top of their game. At least two events are on the timeline. Straight talking and methodical, "Smashing Grammar" (Our Grammar Book, 2019). It can be conjugated to be used in the past, present, or future. Do you disagree with something on this page. The perfect progressive tense describes actions that repeated over a period of time in the past, are continuing in the present, and/or will continue in the future. Test your knowledge of this grammatical aspect. It covers the past perfect progressive tense, the present prefect progressive tense, and the future perfect progressive tense. (travel). My back is killing me! This mixture of present (has, have) and past is a clue to its use: present perfect tense ties the past to the present. The present progressive tense is used for an ongoing action in the present. Now take a look at the progressive form of the future perfect tense: When the clocks strikes four, Appleby will have been chewing for 29 straight minutes without swallowing even one bite. Learning or teaching English? By tonight, it will have been raining several hours, and the street will be very wet. Past Perfect Progressive Tense Example Sentences.
I have gone to the school cafeteria every day for six years, and I have not yet found one edible item. The structure of Perfect Progressive Tenses combines the auxiliary verbs of both perfect and progressive tenses. (bark).