We reasoned these folks would make excellent prospects for The Wildlands Project because they 1) had a relationship with the solicitor, 2) had proven their concern about environmental issues, and 3) had demonstrated the ability and inclination to make a charitable gift. Tony Realini, MD, MPH, is a professor of ophthalmology and glaucoma fellowship director at West Virginia University in Morgantown. While I consider myself a die-hard environmentalist, I don’t agree that the environmental impact argument justifies ending direct-mail membership acquisition. The proposal to begin treating newly diagnosed glaucoma patients with selective laser trabeculectomy instead of traditional medical therapy challenges decades of clinical reasoning and practice patterns. I’m not alone in this opinion. Exploratory meta-analysis on dose-related efficacy and morbidity of bone morphogenetic protein in spinal arthrodesis surgery. We have data to support an evolution in practice patterns. At Native Seeds/SEARCH, we organized a series of recruitment dinners in private homes. And the significant progress that has been made toward protecting Utah’s magnificent canyon country may well have been far more limited had there not been a sizeable membership to back up the organization’s goals with letters, phone calls, attendance at public hearings, funding, letters to the editor, and general political clout. We call this “peer-to-peer” fundraising. In glaucoma care, we keenly appreciate issues of adherence and burden of treatment—very patient-centric aspects of care. The results? But suppose I asked how many of your patients with newly diagnosed POAG receive primary SLT—would you join most of our colleagues and lower your hand? He was appointed to the City of Seattle Landmarks Preservaiton Board and Washington State Council on Historic Preservation. Author: Kevin Corrigan Publish date: Sep 20, 2019. The more I mailed, the more uncomfortable I felt. 9. This site needs JavaScript to work properly. And here’s my confession: I used to be one of those doctors. Spine J. Albright TH, Grabel Z, DePasse JM, Palumbo MA, Daniels AH. Try casting a wider net: Ask volunteers, former board and staff, and your most loyal donors to also contribute leads. With the first approach, you lose money, you waste resources, and you’re still dealing with strangers even after you receive their gifts. As my mentor Rob Fechtner, MD, arguing the other side of this issue on page 50, once told me, “There’s never been a documented case of nonadherence to trabeculoplasty.”. Medication patients were excluded from laser. "Andy Robinson (www.andyrobinsononline.com) provides training and consulting for nonprofits in fundraising, board development, marketing, earned income, planning, leadership development, facilitation, and train-the-trainer programs. Many, many political campaigns have been funded with contributions solicited at coffees, brunches, cocktail parties, and private dinners. Carlson and Crowley sparred a total of 722 times until February 7, 1993. Attempts to find a new opponent for Carlson failed and the segment was not revived. On Halloween 1985, the two taped a rehearsal debate on economic sanctions against South Africa's Apartheid system (Carlson anti, Crowley pro). Sweet. Crowley served as HistoryLink's president and executive director until his death in 2007. Asking board and staff to review published donor lists photocopied from the annual reports and newsletters of other conservation groups, to see if they personally knew any of the donors. Meanwhile, Walt Crowley wrote a memoir of the 1960s in Seattle, prepared histories of the Rainier Club, Metro Transit and Group Health among other institutions, and authored the National Trust for Historic Preservation's official guide to Seattle landmarks. For at least some patients, finding access to a laser treatment would pose a burden on them. For many cash-starved grassroots groups, this is unrealistic. Point-Counterpoint: SLT vs. Medical Therapy Experts debate first-line approaches to glaucoma therapy. Paradigm shifts don’t come easily. In other words, for every 100 pieces you send out, you get one or two new members. Time is precious, especially when we’re face-to-face with our patients. When other crises— real or imagined — pop up, donor tracking is one of the first things to go. Watch Saturday Night Live highlight 'Point Counterpoint: Lee Marvin and Michelle Triola' on NBC.com Bone morphogenetic proteins for spinal fusion. The exercise should be good for us as reviewers as well as for you as the readers. If you break even acquiring a new member through direct mail, you’re doing well. In addition to charitable solicitations, your mailbox is filled with catalogs, magazines, newsletters, insurance pitches, credit card offers, flyers, free samples, sweepstakes forms, and even an occasional letter from a friend. Dr. Fechtner is professor and chair of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse.