Cup Final by beating Chelsea 3-0 in the semi-final replay, at White Hart Lane. He remains one of the most popular players to represent the Club in the past 30 years. New Brighton Tower were one of the clubs created to fill a stadium (like Chelsea and Thames Association). See also here. Arsenal were in the middle of an almighty fixture pile up. Davis played throughout the successful Littlewoods Cup run in 1987 but picked up an injury at the start of the 1988/89 campaign and sat out the dramatic denouement at Anfield. However Davis did play in the two cup finals in 1993 and was a driving force behind the Cup Winners' Cup triumph in 1994. Arsenal reached the semi-final but were knocked out by Tottenham. To close a submenu press the escape key. “I look at people like Raheem Sterling and realise players now are stronger and have more power and more voice but there is still only so much they can do.”. Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. I followed his career after that but it never really went anywhere.”. Davis coached in the Arsenal academy for a time and occasionally co-commentates for Arsenal Player's Matchday Show. 7 April 1919: I know it’s not Arsenal but – on this day the Original Dixieland Jazz Band brought a completely new form of music to England. Trailblazer Davis added: “I was the first black player to play for Arsenal for any prolonged amount of time. Crowds of 4000 or less were common in the stadium that held 80,000. Paul Davis is a member of a small, highly-talented and yet highly unfortunate group of Arsenal players. Check out our exclusive Wallpapers for desktop and mobile today! Arsenal score three on this day in 2015: see the video, Arsenal v Panathinaikos on this day. Davis says racism was just part and parcel of being a professional player in his era and has praised England ace Raheem Sterling for being brave enough to stand up to his abusers. Arsenal in the 70s part 9: July to Dec 1972. The day when Arsenal never play – but we still have a video! He could also put his foot in. “It was not a great situation but if you got bitter or angry it would only have taken away from what you were trying to achieve. “That community felt they could connect with me and, in later years, David Rocastle and Michael Thomas. I remember thinking, ‘Wow. He was a regular over the next couple of seasons, becoming a firm crowd favourite in the process. View our online Press Pack. Was he the best Arsenal player never to wear the Three Lions? In a season when we played a gruelling 70 matches. In the end they stayed for 15 months and transformed the entire music scene in England. 7 April 1900: Arsenal 5 New Brighton Tower 0. 7 April 1928: Tottenham 2 Arsenal 0. 7 April 2008: Having pulled out of shareholdings with Liverpool and Man U, ITV sold its 50% shareholding in Arsenal Broadband to Stan Kroenke for £22.7m. I feel really proud.”, Van Dijk reportedly facing 'seven or eight months out' after star 'injures ACL', Maguire heads in equaliser after Shaw scores early own goal, Real & Barca to fight for Fernandes in shock move after just 8 months in England, Kepa makes ANOTHER howler as he bottles tackle to hand Southampton goal, Sterling scores only goal as City get back to winningways, ©News Group Newspapers Limited in England No. All told Paul Davis played 447 times for Arsenal and scored 37 goals. 7 April 1979: Steve Brignall became the Arsenal player with the shortest ever career at the time. “What really shocked me was they had a black player named Paul Canoville on their bench. To inquire about a licence to reproduce material, visit our Syndication site. Watch Henry score in a PL game with a back heel. 7 April 2009: Robert Pires played for Villareal against Arsenal in the Champions League quarter final. Paul Davis: the Arsenal midfielder ahead of his time who remains one of the club’s most under-appreciated legends 20/02/2019 by Steven Scragg 0 F rom the middle of February to the middle of March 1989, Arsenal’s seemingly inexorable stroll to a first league title in 18 years ground to a gradual halt. He could not have imagined that 50 years later he’d be parking his car below a 60,000 stadium for each home game as an honoured guest of the club. “There were certain grounds I used to dread going to, Chelsea and West Ham in particular, and anywhere up north was proper bad — Leeds, Liverpool, Everton, Sunderland, Newcastle. London, N5 1BU. 679215 Registered office: 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF. The cultured midfielder rose through the ranks at Highbury and played 447 times during a 17-year spell - but he never got capped for England. “We did not have mobile phones back then so I could not really call my family to tell them the good news. With the league championship clearly between the last two teams of Chapman’s career, 55,930 packed Highbury to see Shaw’s team take a major step to the second consecutive league title.