Are New Zealan.. He influenced results. His contributions were significant in their success.

Blues coach Brad Fittler will have to cull at least nine players in contention for a NSW jersey when he names an expected 27-man squad for this year's State of Origin series in a month's time. refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or

Games against touring teams from New Zealand, Great Britain and France are not included.

After 90 games with both Newtown and Illawarra, his career was brought to an end by injury in 1982. Smith vs Thurston: Who is the Greatest of the Generation? Learn more about Finder Laurie will question it, though. Although the Blues continued their losing streak during Stuart's tenure, he is credited with restoring passion and pride to the NSW jersey and closing the gap between the two states.

But I based the selections on 3 factors: impact, success and longevity in the Origin arena specifically (i.e. Brooks was selected in the second row for Game 3 of the 1985 series, replacing Noel Cleal. In 1912 the New South Wales team first toured New Zealand.

Acceptance by insurance companies is based on things like occupation, health and lifestyle. It was a tremendous Origin contest. Johns was having none of that.

I don’t think anyone who has been involved with Daley, either playing with or against him, at Origin level will argue with this selection. Just like the inaugural Origin competition of 1980, there was only one Origin match in 1981 and Jensen was chosen as hooker. Champion playmaker Brad Fittler's Origin record speaks for itself.Credit:Fairfax Media. Oops! This is the common trait among all great Origin players.

He was a fearless defender. One big hit he made on Queensland second-rower Trevor Gillmeister in the early 1990s still features prominently in State of Origin highlight compilations today.

Wizard was an apt name for Andrew Johns to be brandishing on his state jersey in 2005.

Good side stacked with blokes who actually performed at Origin level.

Laurie Daley answered the call when NSW was crying out for a hero. He was a reluctant captain. Niszczot was a big, hard-running back who took no prisoners and he played 114 games for Souths between 1980 and 1984. He’s actually my all-time favourite player. By the end of his career he was NSW's most capped player.

The primary colour of New South Wales Blues is sky blue, which represents the state colour of New South Wales.

* HFC Finance sponsored the NSW Origin team for the one off exhibition game in Los Angeles in 1987, The official New South Wales rugby league team supporter group is known as "Blatchy's Blues".[7][8][9][10][11][12][13]. Rugby League Opinions is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

He is a three-time winner of the Brad Fittler medal, including in the 2014 series when the Blues broke Queensland’s eight-year winning streak.

It was a stunning performance. If you're unsure about anything, seek professional advice before you apply for any product or commit to any plan. Become a member to join in Australia's biggest sporting debate, submit articles, receive updates straight to your inbox and keep up with your favourite teams and authors. 2003 was a great year for Bailey, representing Australia against New Zealand following the Origin series and at season’s end he was selected in the Kangaroo team to tour England and France. Throughout the 1980s no fullback consistently dominated the position like G.. One of the game’s greatest ever wingers in terms of tries, Martin Offiah wa.. As a coach Graham Lowe reached the highest levels of the game, leading both.. Interview with Canada Rugby League President Paul O'Keefe. Peter Sterling? Barry Jensen

Like it.

I would completely understand if you did.

Comment on stories, get exclusive content and submit your own articles!

None were better than Lazarus.

In 2017, New South Wales were widely tipped to win the series as Queensland had a number of key players injured. It’s very rare for a front-row forward in Origin football.

Despite fullback being his preferred position, Jarryd Hayne has played most of his Origin career on the wing.

During the week, Nine asked me to compile a list of the top five NSW State of Origin players of all time.

Maybe you have a different opinion.

‘Big Sirro’ enjoyed plenty of success in the Blues jersey, being an important part of their dominant forward pack in the hat-trick of series wins between 1992 and 1994. Will the Maroons make massive changes to prevent NSW from winning three straight series and will the Blues remain loyal to last year's players even though there will …

Terry Campese Lazarus played the full 80 minutes.

NSWRL Hall of Fame inductee and Immortal Brad Fittler is the incumbent coach for the NSW Blues. That try was one of only two that Lazarus scored in his Origin career, but it helped New South Wales to level that series at 1-all. Champion playmaker Brad Fittler's Origin record speaks for itself.

Queensland won the game comfortably but lost the series. However, it really did get to the point of embarrassment that NSW teams just couldn’t match the passion and commitment of their Queensland rivals.

The secondary colour is navy blue, with additional contrasting colour of white. The Blues went on to win the series 2–1.

He is clearly one of NSW's greatest. Tom Trbojevic will be named in the NSW Blues extended State of Origin squad despite an injury-plagued season.

Stream instantly!

‘Freddy’ is another player like Ettingshausen who played three positions during his Origin career – centre, five-eighth and lock.

They also visited New Zealand in 1913. Though he was roundly criticised for the move,[4] the Blues went on to win the series 2-1, easily defeating Queensland 38-6 in Game 2 in Optus Stadium in Perth Western Australia, the greatest winning margin of a Blues squad since Game 3, 2000. The Manly fullback made his comeback from …

Glenn Lazarus had the Midas touch at club and representative level. However, you should be aware that while we are an independently owned service, our comparison service does not include all providers or all products available in the market. You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about. They have been trying to write there new chapter for 4 years!

I’ve picked players in positions where they played at least a reasonable chunk of their Origin careers, rather than putting players into positions they rarely played at Origin level. She is passionate about helping people find the best deal for their needs. How many games did Mullins play at fullback for NSW? Momentum plays an undeniable role in the composition and outcome of Rugby L.. History suggests that whenever James Maloney switches teams, the fates of t.. “The shoulder’s all right, it’s not too bad, a bit of a Grade Two carry on,” Trbojevic said.

Despite rugby league’s inherent marketability, and the publicity and goodwi.. ‘Forwards win games, backs decide by how much.’ We’ve all heard the saying,.. Two of Jack Gibson's greatest rugby league sides go head-to-head. We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. Big Lazo just smiled and headed to the showers. Quite simply, the teams that Lazarus played for usually won. A great goal-kicker, O’Connor is still also New South Wales’ all-time leading point scorer. That injury put him out of the series and he retired from the NRL at the end of that season. She was previously the publisher for banking and investments and has also written comparisons for energy, money transfers, Uber Eats and many other topics.

Very good player when not injured. Laurie Daley over Brett Kenny? Captured a great grassroots sporting moment? Both that game and the series went to the Maroons. Daley was made captain of NSW in 1992.

He is an Immortal for God’s sake. Herb Brackenreg. The only one they lost was the famous 1995 series when they were upset by an underdog Queensland team during the Super League war (when many elite players from both sides were absent).

[2], In 2018, Brad Fittler was appointed as the new coach and left out established players such as Aaron Woods, Josh Jackson, Blake Ferguson and Josh Dugan.

The blokes I chose tended to be stronger in 2 of those 3 areas in my opinion. On Sunday night Fittler announced Tom … He was replaced by former Canberra, NSW and Australia teammate Laurie Daley. Glenn Lazarus was the dominant prop at club and representative level for most of the 1990s. It's no secret that State of Origin football is the pinnacle of rugby league, and something that all players from NSW and QLD (and other areas) aspire to play. Some product issuers may provide products or offer services through multiple brands, associated companies or different labelling arrangements. He totally obliterated Queensland in the first 40 minutes to drive the Blues to a 21-4 lead. He was a rarity, a Cootamundra-based player picked from Country Firsts and never playing in NSWRL before or after his brief Origin career. To me, Fittler's greatest qualities as a player were his honesty, his humility and his toughness. In Game 3, New South Wales lost the series losing 22–6 in Brisbane. Impossible, I said. NSW fans have always said Kenny had it over Lewis but he doesn’t even make it? Unfortunately, his career didn’t kick on to the heights of his more famous cousin, Cliffy. Fittler names first pick for NSW Origin squad, FULL TIME: Panthers vs Rabbitohs – Preliminary Finals, 2020, Updated Team Lists: Panthers vs Rabbitohs, Brisbane star Jack Bird closing in on deal with rival club.

[3] In 2019, the Blues were widely tipped to win the series owing to the retirement from representative football of Queensland Origin greats Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater and Cameron Smith. This represents 1.55% of the team. Ziggy Niszczot 1984 was a rocks-and-diamonds season for Conlon, selected in three Origin games and one Test for Australia, before being dropped from first grade and missing out on selection in the Bulldogs’ winning grand final side, before moving on the greener pastures at Balmain. In 2016, New South Wales lost the series 2–1 but managed to win the third and final dead rubber game.

He was a mountain among men. Bradley was NSW's youngest player.

This article lists all rugby league footballers who have represented the New South Wales rugby league team in matches played since 1980 against Queensland under State of Origin selection criteria.

This was the first Origin match to be played at the newly renovated Suncorp Stadium. He was a major reason we were still in the contest.

We don’t Although he retired from Origin football more than 25 years ago, it was only this year that Michael O’Connor was joined by Jarryd Hayne at the top of the Blues’ all-time list of Origin try-scorers.

Hazem El Masri

I guess my main criteria here was that every time I think of NSW Origin football, the pictures, visions or moments that I recall so vividly always seem to include these players.

While it’s been slim pickings for New South Wales in the Origin arena over the past decade in terms of wins, there have certainly been better times and some great players who have worn the jersey over the years.

Finder's decision to show a 'promoted' product is neither a recommendation that the product is appropriate for you nor an indication that the product is the best in its category.

Brad Clyde had a relatively short Origin career compared to another lock contender for this team, Paul Gallen, but there is no doubting the impact or success he had.

He more than held his own in that stoush.