In a letter to her father Mary accepted her father’s authority as the leader of the Church of England, as well as the illegality of her parents’ marriage: “I do freely, frankly and for the discharge of my duty towards God, the king’s highness and his laws, without other respect, recognize and acknowledge that the marriage formerly had between his majesty and my mother, the late princess dowager, was by God’s law and man’s law incestuous and unlawful.”. A strict ‘Heresy Act’ was revived, under which people of protestant faith were either exiled or executed by burning. Following her enthronement, Mary carried out a number of reformations. Also, in 1549, the First Book of Common Prayer was introduced, which was printed in English, rather than Latin. The feeble Edward VI (1537-53) was only ten years old when he came to the throne. However, the council rejected her claim and instead, Northumberland and his troops marched towards Kenninghall. The movie Pirates of the Caribbean, is based on the English pirates of Queen Elizabeth's time. Following the execution of Anne Boleyn, Mary recognized that her position was still not secure and would ultimately need to reconnect with her father in order to obtain any form of political standing. Shakespeare would go on to write some of the greatest titles in English literature. It is clear that, although Edward had moved England to a Protestant country, many in England wished a return to the Roman Catholic Church, and Mary was just the ruler to move them back in that direction. This Queen of England was popularly nicknamed ‘Bloody Mary’ for her persecution of Protestants during the imposition of ‘Heresy Act.’, https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/mary-i-of-england-6456.php, Top NBA Players With No Championship Rings, The Hottest Male Celebrities With The Best Abs. Additionally, there marked a decline in Antwerp cloth trade. Fearing the restoration of Catholicism if Mary ascended the throne, Edward, before his death, excluded both Mary and Elizabeth from the line of succession and instead named his cousin Lady Jane Grey as the queen of England. Her movements were restricted which in turn caused her great discomfort. However, the announcement of Jane Grey was not entirely welcomed by those in the country. It was there where she eventually learned of Edward’s death at the age of fifteen, and that Lady Jane Grey would be pronounced Queen. However, in 1555, Mary's half-sister, Elizabeth, a suspected Protestant, was released from the Tower of London. This was a true political marriage and had nothing to do with love. Play a Mass from Thomas Tallis, who was the Tudors’ favourite composer, and read from ranmer's Mary I in 1544 #4 She remained a devout Catholic during the spread of Protestantism under Edward VI. As such, she betrothed Prince Philip of Spain, son of Holy Emperor Charles V. Her decision to marry Philip was highly unpopular. During this time Mary infrequently visited court due to her brother’s Lord Protector, Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset. Continent to help supervise changes in England. Following news of her brother’s death, Mary sent a letter to the Privy Council demanding them to recognize her as Queen, which was mandated in her father’s will: “You know, the realm and the whole world knoweth; the rolls and records appear by the authority of the King our said father, and that King our said brother, and the subjects of this realm; so that we verily trust there is no good true subject, that is, can, or would, pretend to be ignorant thereof.”. Furthermore, an alliance with Spain directly resulted in England being dragged to military war with France. Elizabeth, like her father before, was declared the head of the Church of England. After a war with France, Elizabeth signed a peace treaty with England's constant rival in 1564. Furthermore, Catherine’s deep religious conviction and charitable acts served as a model for Mary, who frequently visited court to be with her mother. During the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, William Shakespeare became an aspiring playwright. King Henry VIII went on to marry Jane Seymour. After only four months into Mary's reign, the Parliament met to bring back the Catholic Church to England. She was dethroned, following a swell in popular support for Mary. The Duke of Somerset was executed in 1552. to Catholicism under Mary. For example, in the second Prayer Book (1552) the In 1590, Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream, two of his more famous works. declined. It was only after her accession to the British throne that marriage became a serious consideration for Mary, as she wanted to remove her half-sister Elizabeth from direct line of succession. Her father repeatedly demanded her to take the oath recognizing him as the supreme head of the Church of England. Following the birth of Henry and Jane’s son, Edward, Mary began to accept the fact that she was not next in line to the throne. University of Victoria Library. Elizabeth was not a religious person, she had seen how religion had torn the country apart, beginning with the reign of her father. authority in England. for religious reasons in forty-five years under Elizabeth I. siblings: 1st Duke of Richmond and Somerset, Edward VI of England, Elizabeth I of England, Henry FitzRoy, Henry FitzRoy; Duke of Richmond and Somerset, Henry; Duke of Cornwall, Founder/Co-Founder: Queen Mary's Grammar School, See the events in life of Mary I Of England in Chronological Order. iconoclasm--stained glass windows were shattered, and statues After Edward's death in 1553, Lady Jane Grey was proclaimed queen by her father-in-law, the Duke of Northumberland. Edward VI died of tuberculosis in 1553. In 1550, the Duke of Somerset was replaced by John Dudley as regent and Lord Protector of England. However, the marriage was largely unpopular. In 1588, the Spanish Armada, a navy containing 130 warships, arrived in the English channel. In 1553, she was crowned the queen of England. In Edward VI’s Chronicle, he describes that within the request Charles threatened war with England had they not let Mary continue to freely worship. She died of influenza epidemic on November 17, 1558, at St James Palace. Her unhappy marriage was childless, and the next in line to the throne was her half-sister, Elizabeth. However, after the fall and execution of Seymour for essentially kidnapping King Edward VI and for planning to raise an army to maintain his control in government, the rise of John Dudley, the Duke of Northumberland as the new Lord Protector, resulted in Mary’s situation becoming even more dangerous. Mary also realized that she was in more danger now that Henry’s pregnant wife, Anne, was officially recognized as the sole queen of England, and that if their child was a son, then he would be recognized as the rightful heir to the throne. Protestants were decaled as heretics. notorious Black Rubric stated clearly the Calvinist view that As this all happened on Elizabeth's "watch," she was seen as a very popular leader. They reasoned that Jane, who was married to Northumberland’s son, Guildford Dudley, would produce an English heir and maintain the lineage of the throne. Elizabeth I of England; Mary I of England; Edward VI of England; Anne of Cleves; Katherine Parr; Henry VIII of England; AU; Summary. She suffered from constant stress and depression. This was evident when Mary was no longer permitted to practice Mass in her household. With the death of Martin Luther (1546) and Queen Catherine provided Mary much of her early education. By clicking on any links the user is leaving the Penfield School District website, the district is not responsible for any information associated with these links. In 1525, she was sent to Wales to preside over the ‘Council of Wales and the Marches.’ She even received royal prerogatives, reserved primarily for the Prince of Wales.