"Pretty good" is an understatement. Johnny Podres Stats, Fantasy & News. But I guess things worked out alright.". Podres always will be remembered for his dramatics in the 1955 World Series. Australian Football Stats - Australian Football Search "He was one in a million. Return to Top; MLB Players . In the final game, Podres scattered five hits for a 2-0 shutout over a stunned crowd at Yankee Stadium as the "Bums from Brooklyn" finally got their chance to celebrate. He appeared in four World Series and posted a 4-1 record and sizzling 2.11 ERA. "They (Dodgers) weren't even sure I would be on the Series' roster," Podres recalled. Three of four teams playing Saturday face elimination. And when he got the opportunity, Podres certainly made the most of it. In 1961, in just the Dodgers fourth season in Los Angeles, Podres posted an 18-5 mark and led the league in winning percentage at .783. "A lot of people wondered why Walter Alston (Dodger manager) started me in that seventh game," Podres recalled. The AL pennant will be won, but will we also crown an NL champ? "I was pretty young and didn't have a great season. Born in Witherbee, New York, where he grew up rooting for the Dodgers, Podres broke in with Brooklyn in 1953 when he was only 20. "I have to thank Whitey Ford," Podres cracked. The Johnny Podres World Series stats seen below include his World Series year-by-year hitting stats, World Series fielding stats, and World Series pitching stats (where applicable). We lived in Royal Oak and I enjoyed going to the race track in Hazel Park.". All Rights Reserved by Baseball Almanac, Inc.Hosted by Hosting 4 Less. "A lot of people don't even know I'm Polish," he said. On August 8, 2002, Johnny Podres - the last ERA Champion for the Brooklyn Dodgers (2.66 in 1958) - was inducted into the National Polish-American Sports Hall of Fame (link). While Podres will forever be remembered for his 1955 World Series dramatics, he distinguished himself consistently over a 15-year major league career. Upon returning from the Navy, Podres picked up right where he had left off. Copyright © 2020 Stats Crew, Stats Crew - The Home of Sports Statistics. Part of the Baseball Almanac Family, St. Peter and Paul Cemetery, Moriah, New York. Podres also is happy-and quite proud- about being elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame. Height: 5'11" Where what happened yesterday is being preserved today. I had a lot of fun.". document.write(update); In that classic World Series, Podres posted a pair of complete game victories, including a 2-0 gem in the historic seventh game. All Position(s) Played: P, PH, PR "That's just the way I am," Podres modestly explained. Primary Position: P How MLB old school beat new: Inside the Astros' big inning that won ALCS Game 6. He finished the season with a 9-10 mark. 2020 MLB playoffs: Could the 2020 Astros join the 2004 Red Sox on Saturday? Copyright: © 2020 ESPN Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. "He was one in a million. He began playing during the 1953 season and last took the field during the 1969 campaign. "By the time I got to the Tigers, I was over the hill," Podres admitted. About Us - Contact Us - Credits - Privacy Policy - Schedule and Scores Coupled with his natural supply of self-assuredness, Podres proved to be too much to handle-even for the powerful Yankees who always saved their best games for October. Seager has 10 RBIs this week. "That gave me a lot of confidence.". He began playing during the 1953 season and last took the field during the 1969 campaign. Soccer Stats - MLS - Women's - Division II & III - NASL - MASL - MISL - Search John Joseph Podres Johnny Podres career pitching statistics for Major League, Minor League, and postseason baseball Johnny Podres compiled a career record of 148 wins and 116 losses in his 462-game career with the Brooklyn Dodgers, Los Angeles Dodgers, Detroit Tigers and San Diego Padres. All the latest information about the expanded baseball postseason. Podres jumped out of the gate quickly in '55 with a 7-2 record by June. Lacrosse Stats - MLL - NLL - Lacrosse Search When he was 70-years-old he still flashed that engaging, carefree demeanor that sparked him to World Series immortality. Only two MLB teams have ever forced a Game 7 from down 3-0. In Game 3 at Brooklyn on Sept. 30, 1955, Podres celebrated his 23rd birthday with an 8-3 victory to set the stage for his Game 7 masterpiece. var pfHeaderImgUrl = '';var pfHeaderTagline = '';var pfdisableClickToDel = 0;var pfHideImages = 0;var pfImageDisplayStyle = 'right';var pfDisablePDF = 0;var pfDisableEmail = 0;var pfDisablePrint = 0;var pfCustomCSS = 'https://www.baseball-almanac.com/css/print.css';var pfBtVersion='2';(function(){var js,pf;pf=document.createElement('script');pf.type='text/javascript';pf.src='//cdn.printfriendly.com/printfriendly.js';document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(pf)})(); Did you know that Johnny Podres, who started and threw two complete game victories in the 1955 World Series (Game 3 - when Brooklyn was down 0-2 & Game 7 - Series tied 3-3 and game played in Yankee Stadium / pictured below), won the first ever World Series Most Valuable Player Award ever given to any player? In 1955, when the Brooklyn Dodgers defeated the New York Yankees for their first World Championship, Podres was superb. Johnny Podres | New York Daily News | January 13, 2008 | Photoshop by Baseball Almanac Corey Seager homered twice for the Dodgers in Friday's 7-3 Game 5 win over the Braves in the National League Championship Series. Your Account; Logout; Login; Create Account; You are here: BR Home Page > MLB Players > P Listing > Johnny Podres Statistics and History. He won at least 13 games in each of the next six seasons. Boston won. "But I enjoyed my time there. This is quite an honor and I'm proud to be part of an organization that has so many distinguished athletes.". So does his induction into the National Polish Sports Hall of Fame. "I never took myself too seriously and wound up with a pretty good career. Full Site Menu. His biographical data, year-by-year hitting stats, fielding stats, pitching stats (where applicable), career totals, uniform numbers, salary data and miscellaneous items-of-interest are presented by Baseball Almanac on this comprehensive Johnny Podres baseball stats page. After hitting two home runs, Los Angeles Dodgers' Corey Seager says 'everything is kind of clicking'. Weight: 170Career: 1953-1969 The anatomy of a 3-0 comeback. update=copyright.getFullYear(); Copyright 1999- "He beat us in Game 6 to give me a shot at history.". MLB Playoffs Daily: Can Braves eliminate Dodgers, plus climactic Astros-Rays Game 7. "After I won Game 3, Alston told me that if there is a Game 7, I would be his starter," Podres said. I have said this many times: I've had many good pitchers on my teams during my career, including the best in the business in Sandy Koufax, and I am sure that all these pitchers will agree that if a club had to win one game, it would be (Johnny) Podres that would get the call." Get the latest news, stats, videos, highlights and more about Pitcher Johnny Podres on ESPN. Throws: L Johnny Podres was a four-time All-Star (1958, 1960, 1960, 1962) who also won four World Series rings (1955, 1959, 1963, 1965) and led the National League in shutouts in … Year Team League; 1958: Los Angeles Dodgers: NL: 1960: Los Angeles Dodgers: NL: 1960: Los Angeles Dodgers Podres finished his career with a 148-116 record and 3.67 ERA. When Rays ace Blake Snell ran into trouble, Kevin Cash played the odds, but Dusty Baker's team grabbed the win. Hockey Stats - NHL - WHA - Minor League Hockey - Search But his career record proves he was far more than a "one-season wonder.". In 1957, he posted a 12-9 record and led the National League with a 2.66 ERA and six shutouts. Johnny Podres was a four-time All-Star (1958, 1960, 1960, 1962) who also won four World Series rings (1955, 1959, 1963, 1965) and led the National League in shutouts in 1957 (6) and win-loss percentage in 1961 (.783). Statistical data from Baseball Databank, made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License, Baseball Stats - AL - NL - AAGPBL - Minor League Baseball - Search He was traded to the Detroit Tigers during the 1966 season. The awards banquet featured this wonderful brief biography written by Dan Ewald: Johnny Podres was a bold, brash left-handed pitcher who complemented a sneaky fastball and wicked curve with just the right pinch of confidence to make him one of the most memorable starters in Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers history. After coming back, he suffered another injury when the grounds crew at Ebbets Field accidentally crashed the batting cage into his ribs during pre-game practice.