The biggest thing is you just pitch. I enjoy being around these guys, and I like learning from the other coaches, as well, on the staff. GREG MADDUX: Well, nothing is set yet. Maddux relied on a sinker, circle changeup, cutter, and two- and four-seam fastball during his 23-year career. If you win tomorrow, you won't play until Saturday. Phone: 602.496.1460 ET on MLB Network.

And depending on the outcome of that game, then we'll have our plan for the next game. Happy 54th birthday, Greg Maddux. The focus, I think.

Q: When you put him in the fifth spot, do you expect so many bases loaded opportunities for him? They were on board, and I can't thank them enough. Sunday, April 19th . Q: So it'll depend on the slotting and the way the games fall out, that's when you'll make your decisions on who pitches when and where? GREG MADDUX: Well, he did it. He played the Interleague Series and you'd see him, he was just a nice young man. Q: How unique will it be for you to kind of manage against Robby, things like that? JOE TORRE: Well, I felt that the key, really the key to our success offensively was going to be the top two guys, and they've ham and egged it pretty good, both of them, sometimes one, but they'd always do something. Q: Joe, obviously you know New York and kind of an interesting sidelight for New York in this game coming up is the Yankees' best player against the Mets' best player on two different teams.

Here’s to possibly the most interesting player in Major League history. I'm glad I'm here, and I'm glad Joe picked me.

And David, yeah, you always knew he was special.

I mean, Derek, I just felt very fortunate to have started managing the Yankees when he got to the Big Leagues to stay. The only thing that's set is that Dickey is going to pitch tomorrow, and then depending on the game and everything, we'll go from there. I know in Spring Training the people made that connection, the captain things, but do you see some things in Wright that remind you of Derek? Later, he discussed how MLB is taking part in a large-scale study of coronavirus antibody testing. I grew up with three teams in New York, so you figure everybody watches somebody on TV every day, you know. Spiegel then discussed a Chicago player making an odd comparison to his team and an iconic baseball movie. GREG MADDUX: Well, I think you let Dickey go out there and do his thing. The scouting reports are kind of out the window when he pitches. And they're two the most impressive thing and the thing that I think the fans obviously embrace is the fact that they both play well under pressure. Can you talk about that matchup, Cano and Wright? In the second hour, Matt Spiegel was joined by Hall of Fame pitcher and four-time Cy Young winner Greg Maddux to reflect on his approach to the game. JOE TORRE: Well, we expect it to be a good game. If you win Saturday, then you won't play until Tuesday. I mean, they don't lack confidence. GREG MADDUX: Well, you know, I just kind of passed on my experiences that I've had. It's going to be a good game, but again, like any game, it's going to depend on who pitches better. In the 11 years that Greg Maddux pitched for the Braves, fans knew they were seeing something special, but they didn’t always understand why.

All the pitching coaches that did that were kind of on our team, as well. I've admired him from afar being a former catcher myself. He went out there and he threw every pitch. GREG MADDUX: Well, it's been really simple. When I was managing the Dodgers, he left his mark on me hitting a home run to win the ballgame. He's very special. If it's not, he'll be there next time. I mean, you just had to figure out which guys you wanted to pitch what day, and then their pitching coaches really had to do all the work. Settle in today and check out a full slate of Greg Maddux programming beginning at 10 a.m. As far as how we're putting them in order, you know, the top is not going to change. I thought even threw some good changeups. He scares you because he's got a great deal of confidence. He's one of your quiet leaders, too. Of course, the relative I was talking about the other night when I said he's my favorite player was my daughter. But when we asked, it was easy to get response from people who had seen him. You just kind of get rid of all the eyewash that goes around outside of pitching and just worry about pitching. How has the experience been here for you doing this? The biggest thing is you just pitch. GREG MADDUX: Well, you know, I just kind of passed on my experiences that I've had.

Q: Greg, just a two part question. Q: I know when you were a pitcher, like to this day a guy like Jake Peavy said it's no coincidence that he had his best year when you were on the Padres with him and you could help him work through some things. And that's a pretty good reach for her to go away from the Yankees on that. You forget about all the stuff going on outside of pitching. Phoenix, AZ 85004 The right-hander used a combination of location and changing speeds to keep hitters off balance rather than blow them away with high velocity. You know what I mean? Robby is very special, and there's really no there's no weakness in this kid, not to say obviously you can get him out, but he scares you. Happy 54th birthday, Greg Maddux. In the second hour, Matt Spiegel was joined by Hall of Fame pitcher and four-time Cy Young winner Greg Maddux to reflect on his approach to the game. Spiegel: Greg Maddux interview (Hour 2) Hit & Run with Matt Spiegel. I mean, all of our starters were set up to pitch on their first day two weeks before Spring Training started. You've got two teams that are talented, and obviously I was here for most of the first game yesterday, and you could just see the passion on that bench over there, especially when they'd fallen behind and they started climbing back. Being a New Yorker myself, you sort of take it for granted. GREG MADDUX: Well, I think we have our plan tomorrow. And then of course Braunie is such a good hitter. JOE TORRE: Yes, Arencibia will catch and Mauer will DH. But she asked what kind of I said he's everything that you hoped he would be, and that's the way I feel about him. In the second hour, Matt Spiegel was joined by Hall of Fame pitcher and four-time Cy Young winner Greg Maddux to reflect on his approach to the game. His knuckle is unpredictable and it does unpredictable things. And if it's good enough, so be it. And having not been to a World Series my whole playing career and then watching what Mariano did and how guys perform in stress situations, that's pretty impressive to me. I think when guys just worry about what do I throw and how do I throw it, they seem to start doing better.

He was even better than what people had talked about. That's something that you have to be around to really appreciate. Q: Close enough. Chicago Cubs pitcher Greg Maddux, left, and wife Kathy talk to reporters at Wrigley Filed in Chicago after Maddux was named the winner of the 1992 National League Cy Young Award, Nov. 11, 1992. I think it's just going to be a constant adjustment that we're going to have to make, and a lot can happen after the game tomorrow night, and we'll have our decisions made based on the result of the game. And you obviously have probably Gio set for a semifinal game, whether it's Sunday or Monday, right? All the pitching coaches were great about that. We had a lead in the ninth inning. What's the plan for the pitching under those circumstances the next couple of days? 1995 Atlanta Braves, Cronkite School at ASU I mean, Dickey was prepared to pitch tonight, but that's not going to happen so he's going to pitch tomorrow. Q: They have a certain joy of the game that comes through, and you guys are intense in your own way. I enjoy being around the players. I think when guys just worry about what do I throw and how do I throw it, they seem to start doing better. JOE TORRE: Well, I don't think Greg and I knew a great deal about him. Later, he discussed how MLB is taking part in a large-scale study of coronavirus antibody testing. GREG MADDUX: Yeah, I mean, I heard nothing but good things about him, and then when I had a chance to see him, he was kind of underrated. Q: Joe and Greg, how much did you know about Cishek coming into this thing? GREG MADDUX: Nobody really dropped out.

Q: So now you go to this sequence here, which is the first time in the whole tournament that you really don't know what's going to happen because there has to be contingencies. Who knows what's going to happen down the road, but right now I'm having the time of my life. Q: So basically you're saying you gave them your rotation, what you wanted to do, and then they fit everybody in accordingly? I know a lot of people when they see him smile they don't think he cares, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Q: How did that change when you had a few guys drop out and Detwiler was thrown in late? And how many side armers have you seen throw as hard as he does? Joe has been talking about how you had to interface with all the pitching coaches to get guys on their schedule, which is a little different than what you'd be doing under regular circumstances as a pitching coach. Tim Tebow proposed an alternative to social media 'likes' – and the responses were hilarious, Denver Broncos assistant coach tests positive for COVID-19, Broncos RB coach tests positive for COVID-19 ahead of game vs. Patriots, Saban coaching Alabama on Saturday night after false positive, Disney+ launches ‘Simpsons Forever’ campaign after acquiring the animated show’s entire catalog, Kim Kardashian jumps out of a giant cake ahead of her 40th birthday, Tony-nominated actor Anthony Chisholm dies at 77, Chrissy Teigen breaks silence after losing baby: ‘We are quiet but we are okay’, J Balvin y McDonald’s revelan su colección colaborativa. Q: This kind of came to mind last night when Wright was talking and he kept referring to you as Mr. Torre, and I couldn't help but think of another guy who did that, as well, in Derek Jeter.

Q: Right. He's the reason that he didn't give up a run. And that on top of the fact that he catches Gio for the first time, and it's like he's been back there for five years with him. And Mauer, that at bat he had last night against a left handed pitcher, he's cool as a cucumber. Spiegel then discussed a Chicago player making an odd comparison to his team and an iconic baseball movie. Q: Greg, a couple of weeks ago in a press conference Joe was saying about you when he called you to be pitching coach on this team that your response was, do you have the right Maddux? To his credit, he located his fastball very well.

That first year in '96, with all the veterans we had on our club, they pretty much looked to him in August and September to do something.