After Burns' positive COVID test, Masvidal stepped in on six days' notice, only to be dominated by Usman in the main event on July 11. Burns and Usman trained together at Sanford MMA, setting the stage for a rare showdown between teammates. The promotion typically tries to stack its December fight card with talent, leaving open the question of another high-profile booking to take its place. section: | slug: ufc-256-fight-card-kamaru-usman-vs-gilbert-burns-welterweight-championship-match-targeted | sport: mma | route: article_single.us | Kamaru Usman vs. Gilbert Burns is almost officially on the books for a second time. Usman and Burns were originally supposed to meet at UFC 251 in Abu Dhabi on July 11, but Burns was forced to pull out of the contest after testing positive for COVID-19. “Let’s make it one thing here: My birthday is July 20, and it’s going to be Leon’s anniversary, one year without fighting. “I’m just fighting for the belt,” Usman stated. Israel Adesanya: Jon Jones ‘scared’ of heavyweight, ‘I’m coming for him’ at International Fight Week 2021. UFC Fight Island 6 Results: Ortega vs. Korean Zombie. ©2020 EHM PRODUCTIONS,INC. The Kamaru Usman vs. Gilbert Burns UFC welterweight title is off on Dec. 12, per sources. “Since his fight, I’ve fought four times. Burns is the No. New, 38 comments. 2-ranked challenger in the welterweight division behind Covington, who lost to Usman via TKO at UFC 245 in December 2019. Because I beat the guy that he was supposed to beat? I didn’t want any surprises. Report: Usman vs. Burns scratched from UFC 256, could take place in early 2021, Silva claims UFC welterweights duck him: ‘What do I have to do, rob a bank?’. That’s the next fight. Usman (17-1) has not lost since the second fight of his pro career. “It was all for the best. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Burns was confirmed as the next title challenger by UFC President Dana White after a positive COVID-19 test scratched him from a scheduled fight with Usman at UFC 251. Usman left the camp to train with Trevor Wittman ahead of UFC 251 and figures to remain with his new head coach ahead of the rescheduled clash with Burns. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: mma | pageType: stories | I’m gonna be killing my body. Also, we're told the UFC is close to locking up the highly anticipated Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal rematch for the BMF belt for the same night!!!! “I just spoke with Dana White on Sunday and he said I’m next. The 34-year-old is riding a … Ngannou, meanwhile, is on a four-fight winning streak with all four wins coming by first-round knockout. Most people, including Dana White, believe Burns is undoubtedly the next guy since it was his pen that had hit paper before Masvidal. While not yet confirmed, the pay-per-view event will likely be held at the UFC APEX in Las Vegas. UFC 256 - ‘NUNES VS. ANDERSON’: TITLE FIGHT! 1 contender’, Dana White: Contracts just need to be signed for Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier 2, nixes AT&T stadium suggestion. Since UFC 251 came to a conclusion, the MMA community has been discussing what should be next for Usman following his second title defense, and 12th straight octagon victory. The Kamaru Usman-Gilbert Burns fight, which was scheduled to be the main event of UFC 256, has been postponed because Usman needs more time to … I had two fights, but I had three hard training camps. This past Saturday night (May 30), Burns took on former UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley. So, with Usman-Burns off, it certainly makes sense. Burns has won his past six bouts and broke into title contention with a dominant win over ex-champ Woodley in May. I’m from Rio, I would take that three piece and soda back, 100-percent. Kamaru Usman vs. Gilbert Burns will happen in 2020 -- the welterweight title fight is officially set for UFC 256 on Dec. 12, TMZ Sports has learned. “If I wait for the fight with Kamaru, I’m gonna make five or six bags of coins, and fight for the title. “I feel better than I did a couple of weeks ago,” Burns said. See Odds Shark’s Best UFC Sites He was replaced by Jorge Masvidal, who took the fight on short notice ... but couldn't overcome Usman, who won by unanimous decision. I have nothing against the guy, but for sure I wanted Kamaru to win because, otherwise, Nate Diaz would be jumping on the opportunity, or maybe ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson, who knows.