Does anyone have suggestions for books about black children by POC that are early chapter books? Adichie does this with sagacious humor in her novel. She chose New Kid as her Christmas gift to her cousins this past year because she wanted to share the love! From essays to poems, these pieces will leave you thinking about them long after you’ve finished reading them. Vashti Harrison’s Little Leaders books on exceptional men and women in Black history are so good.

published 1980, avg rating 4.11 —

286,950 ratings — — Yvette Alberdingk Thijm (TED Talk: The power of citizen video to create undeniable truths), The Awkward Thoughts of W. Kamau Bell by W. Kamau Bell One of my favorite books growing up as a child was Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters, by John Steptoe. Only the little kids were not white, which was a huge departure back then. 120,693 ratings — This book will open your eyes and increase your empathy. Butler is a masterful science fiction author. Both are big hits with my two year old. Many, though not all, of the authors share the identities of the characters. 3,156 ratings — Tar Beach made a big impression on me when I was a kid, especially in my school of mostly non-black students. 1,971 ratings —

— Sofia Jawed-Wessel (TED Talk: The lies we tell pregnant women), Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay (TED Talk: Confessions of a bad feminist) There are so many more, enjoy! This book, which is written in French, is a poetic essay on the myths of Africa’s decolonization. 51,168 ratings — It's a book with a magical plot that involves witchcraft, communists, a military revolution and a passionate love story. This is one of the most exquisite nonfiction books I’ve ever read.

It’s a life lesson. Lester so beautifully describes his experience growing up in a devout southern Christian family during the Civil Rights era before he decided to convert to Judaism. published 2013, avg rating 3.68 — Christine Platt! We love Donald Crews books too.

An hour with this book will change even the pitch of your internal thoughts, as poet Duplan reshapes it with her vivid and hypnotizing words.

After a few pages, I knew this book was going to alter my perception on incarceration in America, as we need to hear first-hand stories straight from people who were systematically put there rather than through Hollywood movies or researchers or journalists. published 2003, avg rating 3.66 —

A Cup of Jo is a daily lifestyle site for women. Thanks for including some for older kids! I hope Atinuke writes more!! Thank you for purchasing from independent booksellers and especially supporting minority-owned businesses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_(comics). Given my interests, I hoped to find a few minority writers, both male and female. Donald Crews’ board books are essential though. All Rights Reserved, This is a BETA experience. Did you read along with the text? 19,427 ratings —

Thank you for linking to Mahogany Books instead of Amazon so that people can support a black owned small business! 37,372 ratings —

Anything by Christian Robinson – Leo, last stop on market street, rain, carmela full of wishes – so many good ones! Don’t miss Kelly Starling Lyons… She’s an amazing author. — Nikki Clifton (TED talk: 3 ways business can fight sex trafficking), Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi — Laura Boushnak (TED Talk: For these women, reading is a daring act), Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela He attended Cooper Union (the only Black student at the time) and was accepted only because Cooper Union had a blind admissions process (you basically submitted a tray of your artwork). I know there are some issues with the accuracy of the manuscript, and as a scholar that interests me greatly.

Duplan’s writing is bold and dangerous, rough and intelligent, angelic and humble. And I so appreciate how Marguerite Abouet wrote them to dismantle the “violent, impoverished Africa” trope, and gave a healthy, beautiful, communal, nuanced narrative that has been missing in literature.

147,254 ratings — Also, a great resource for books written or illustrated by POC is the ALA’s Coretta Scott King Award list. I am taking notes and saving books on a wishlist, but would love to capture these resources and refer to them again and again in the future.

You have already started the work and have expanded your content and contributors to cover all people.

I really like ‘Baby Goes to the Market’ and ‘B is for Baby’ by Atinuke. that we were all exploring — resulting in both our edification and corruption — in the mid-to-late ‘90s. Being honest and forthright about our past mistakes is a painful but important part of unlearning racism.

165,977 ratings —

It’s a wonderful book about a Black child with autism. An incredible list of the 50 best children's books published from 1950 to the present day that celebrate cultural and ethnic diversity is released today — Reniqua Allen (TED Talk: The story we tell about millennials and who we leave out), For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow was Enuf: a choreopoem by Ntozake Shange 85,370 ratings — I felt she was in my (flat) shoes! I highly recommend Storyline Online. I wish that you’d taken full responsibility for the racial bias in the first list. Storm of Locusts book.

My little guy is 8 months, I want to be sure that the books I’m reading to him, and he’s chewing on (ha), have POC faces. Leo Learns to Swim is another.