I switched my party from Democrat Ro no-party this week as I see that to be part of the solution. When it inevitably came down to it, they were always going to choose themselves over Trump.

Sasse: I regularly think about leaving GOP, Sen. Sasse: Trump's call to Putin weakened US, GOP senator on tariff threats: This is nuts, GOP official quits over Trump-Putin summit, Trump mocks George H.W. And, frankly, neither of these parties are for very much more than being anti. The freshman from Nebraska often criticizes Donald Trump, though he's a reliable vote for the president's agenda. It is your right and your responsibility.
The Soapbox, Politics, Donald Trump, Ben Sasse, Republican Party, Election 2020. Updated 1552 GMT (2352 HKT) September 9, 2018, Washington (CNN)Republican Sen. Ben Sasse said Sunday that he thinks about leaving the GOP "every morning.". Ben Sasse’s Plan to Save the Senate Will Bury It Instead. Sasse is one of President Donald Trump’s most vocal Republican critics in Congress. Here’s how. Sometimes circumstances make it hard or impossible for you to vote on Election Day. More From The Soapbox. Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) Sasse's campaign website indicates that he is pro-life, stating "even one abortion is too many". CNN's Michael Callahan contributed to this report. Sign up for membership to become a founding member and help shape HuffPost's next chapter, Register to vote and apply for an absentee ballot today. Sasse also downplayed any speculation that he might challenge Trump in the 2020 presidential race.

Matt Ford. For the past few years we’ve seen Republican Senator Ben Sasse occasionally try to put on a good air of dignified leadership, only to then fall in line with Donald Trump every time. Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb., spent the past week rekindling his musings about not fitting in the Republican Party, from TV appearances to committee hearing rooms to …

What Sasse gave away is that GOP Senators like him were always going to selfishly sell Trump out if and when they concluded that he’s toast. All rights reserved. But this party used to be for some pretty definable stuff. This story has been updated with Sasse comments on “Meet the Press.”. He attracted attention during the 2016 presidential campaign when he said he would not vote for Trump but instead would back a third-party candidate. Bush at campaign rally, Lawmaker: Trump sent chilling message to GOP, Boehner: Trump presidency a complete disaster, Sen.: Trump claim embarrasses GOP colleagues, Sen. Flake calls for a GOP challenger to Trump, Flake slams Trump's tweets, defends Schumer, Flake: More Republicans will be speaking out, GOP senator won't say if he backs Trump 2020 bid, Trump: Flake smart for not seeking re-election, Lawmaker: Don't want my kids talking like Trump. Hayley Miller contributed reporting. So I’m not really that interested in incumbency.”. Visit your state election office website to find out if you can vote by mail. ©2020 Verizon Media. We made it easy for you to exercise your right to vote! Visit the state elections site. Ben Sasse deserves zero points for being a complicit coward for four years, only to turn against Trump three weeks before his presumptive election loss. ", Sasse, who has been a vocal critic of President Donald Trump, criticized the "chaos" and "reality TV circus" that he said is going on inside the White House, remarks that come. For the past few years we’ve seen Republican Senator Ben Sasse occasionally try to put on a good air of dignified leadership, only to then fall in line with Donald Trump every time.

Do you have information you want to share with HuffPost? Polling hours on Election Day: Varies by state/locality. But it’s not about whether Sasse is correct in his expectation that Trump will lose; that’ll come down to voter turnout. Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) delivered a blistering critique of Donald Trump during a phone call with constituents, saying the president mishandled the coronavirus pandemic, curries favor with dictators, mistreats women, flirts with white supremacists and mocks evangelicals behind their backs. Visit your state election office website to find out whether they offer early voting. After all, it’s Trump’s party, and Sasse is ambitious but he’s also a coward, and Sasse wanted to make sure he was still standing by the time Trump took his inevitable fall.

Each state has its own rules for mail-in absentee voting. yep — regularly consider it (except the “from Dem” part) https://t.co/ZZCQKOPhL9.

He also is expected to vote to confirm Trump’s controversial Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh. So what is Ben Sasse doing? acknowledged on Saturday that he “regularly” considers leaving the Republican Party, making the admission as part of a series of tweets in which he decried the increasing role conspiracy theories play in today’s politics and media.
But your state may let you vote during a designated early voting period. According to the FiveThirtyEight website’s congressional tracker, Sasse votes in favor of Trump’s policies 86.7 percent of the time. You don't need an excuse to vote early. ", Sasse said he is "committed to the party of (Abraham) Lincoln and (Ronald) Reagan as long as there's a chance to reform it. "I think the odds are a lot higher that I run for the Noxious Weed Control Board of Dodge County, Nebraska, than that," he quipped. But it’s nonetheless a big deal that GOP Senators are in fact selfishly stabbing him in the back.

Your vote is your voice! “Right now, it feels like there’s just way too much drama every day.”, WATCH: Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) tells Chuck Todd that the “White House is a reality-show, soap-opera presidency” #MTP@BenSasse: “Way too much drama every day” in the White House pic.twitter.com/VXvrvZnQs9. The Nebraska senator's comment comes after he, Sasse expanded on the thought Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union," telling anchor Jake Tapper, "I probably think about it every morning when I wake up and I figure out, why -- why am I flying away from Nebraska to go to D.C. this week? For your voice to be heard, in most states you must register before you can vote. Bill Palmer is the publisher of the political news outlet Palmer Report, ← Trump and the GOP try one last Hail Mary, Donald Trump has bizarre meltdown about his own “fake” NBC town hall →. Today is National Voter Registration Day! "We shouldn't have elections like that in the future.". RINO Ben Sasse, who needed my support and endorsement in order to get the Republican nomination for Senate from the GREAT State of Nebraska, has, now that he’s got it … While this was not a publicly broadcast conference call, it was the kind of call where Sasse had to know with certainty that his remarks would end up leaking – which means he wanted these remarks to leak.

Are we going to get real stuff done? “I’m the second or third most conservative person in the Senate by voting record, and I don’t hide any of that,” he said during a Wednesday appearance on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “But most of what I care about isn’t stuff that we’re actually debating in the Congress. Sen. Ben Sasse Admits He 'Regularly' Considers Leaving The GOP. Last week, Sasse called out the president for assailing Attorney General Jeff Session over the Justice Department pursuing federal criminal charges against two Republican House members, both of whom were early and staunch supporters of Trump. "Both (Trump and Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton) went into the election mostly being against the other one, and the American people basically said 'a pox on your houses,' and then they decided who to vote for who was the less bad, in their view," Sasse said. Sasse, elected to his seat in 2014, said he feared the U.S. was “headed toward a place where hefty majorities of both sides of the electorate are going to regularly embrace unsupported and blatantly false assertions.”, When one of his followers asked him if he ever considered switching parties, just as she switched from Democrat to no-party, Sasse replied: “yep, regularly consider it.”. Matt Ford. The Nebraska senator went on to call the 2016 election a "dumpster fire" and decried party divisions he believes both major presidential candidates sowed. Meanwhile, the senator’s advisers told The Washington Post not to take seriously his suggestion that he might abandon the Republican Party.