It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Miriam is "star of the sea". Mirriam, M iriam as a girls' name is pronounced MEER-ee-em. Interesting. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Miriam, try our name generator. American Baby Names Meaning: I don't like Miriam in full as I think it sounds too clunky and old but I love the selection of nicknames: Mimi, Miri, Mira, Ria, Mamie. What does Miriam mean? The name is borne in the Bible by the sister of Moses and Aaron. Miriam name meaning is in american meaning is : sea of bitterness; rebellion and the lucky number associated with is 2. Plus Miri, Mim, Mira etc are really cute!

This is a stunning name which feels light and feminine, but also grounded. The noun תמורה (temura) means exchange.

I think it's more popular in the Jewish community because basically every one of my family friends has a relative named Miriam lol! These names tend to be less commonly used than Miriam. Mirit The nickname Mira on its own is so much cuter. It's rather captivating I think. The name Miriam is a girl's name of Hebrew origin meaning "drop of the sea, bitter, or beloved". The origin and meaning of the name Miriam is unclear, although — as many Levite names are for some reason Egyptian — it may have to do with the Egyptian word for Beloved (see the name Merari). Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. My personal favourite is short, sweet Mim. However, some sources cite the alternative definitions of "rebellion," "wished-for child," and "mistress or lady of the sea." Also note that the popular name Maria (or Mary) is the Greek transliteration of the Hebrew name Miriam, which is why this name occurs 14 times in the New Testament; see full concordance. (2000 U.S. CENSUS), Miriam reached its apex rank of #146 in the U.S. in the 1910s, and is at #303 currently. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names reads Their Rebellion. But otherwise I like my name. Meryam, The original meaning of Maryam is uncertain, but theories include "drop of the sea" (from Hebrew roots mar "drop" and yam "sea"); "bitter" (from Hebrew marah "bitterness"); and "beloved" (from the Egyptian root mr). That meaning makes me like Miriam more. In Hebrew Baby Names the meaning of the name Miriam is: Rebellious. Would you like to follow Miriam?

Miriam is currently the Number 1 girls' name in Israel. A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z. (2018 BIRTH STATISTICS). My mother is Jewish and she has Miriam in her family tree.

We're excited that you have an opinion about the name Miriam. I love Miriam. Miryan, Mariam, Exactly what I thought!! The name Miriam is a girl's name of Hebrew origin meaning "drop of the sea, bitter, or beloved"..

I also love the nicknames surrounding this as well such as Miri, Mimi, Minnie etc.

Why not use it? More relaxed nicknames: Miri, Mira, and Mimi. One notable namesake is South African singer Miriam Makeba. NOT a song you would want to associate with your child Miriam, but it is a good song! To a creative audience, the first part of the name Miriam could also be regarded as related to the verb מרר (marar), meaning to be bitter or to be strong, whereas the second part of the name Miriam holds some resemblance to the word ים (yam) meaning sea: The noun ים (yam) means sea, and was also used as synonym for west (sea-ward) or the future (as "east" corresponds to "past"). It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Miriam is "star of the sea". The verb מור (mor) means to change. Jerome (4th century AD) suggested relations with the word מאור (ma'or), meaning star, from the verb אור ('or), to be light or shine. I think Nameberry might be wrong here.

A lovely choice. Would probably not use it myself but still I'm kinda hooked on the combination.

Miyanna,

I love it. Other possible meanings are "wished-for child", "rebellion" or "sea of bitterness".