Hull joined his Monsoon teammates and the seven other Tempe Minors teams on Saturday to help unveil the 41st "Diamonds Back" field in the D-backs and Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation's youth field-building program, supported by APS. You can’t always control the results. By submitting your phone number, you are agreeing to receive automated text messages from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. You’re a beloved guy and when you go to Seattle or here what’s the magic of that man? Please turn on JavaScript and try again. Jake: What are some of the things that you might tell a young Willie coming up now? He was the guy that worked the hardest and wouldn't be outdone. Many historical player head shots courtesy of David Davis.

[4] He played in 197 games with the Royals over parts of 2 seasons, hitting .265. [8][9], Bloomquist is married and has four daughters, Natalie, Ava, Layla and Sydney. Bloomquist was drafted out of South Kitsap High School in Port Orchard, Washington by the Seattle Mariners in the eighth round (237th overall) of the 1996 MLB draft, but was not signed. Willie: You as well! In 2019, he was inducted into the CoSIDA Academic All-America Hall of Fame. Bloomquist played baseball at South Kitsap High School in Port Orchard, WA, then was drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the 8th round of the 1996 amateur draft.

And I don’t mean that in a dog-eat-dog world, but let’s be honest – we are in a tough tough industry. Or write about sports? This op-out process does not apply to phone calls, which will continue in case BCBSAZ needs to reach you. Jake: 14 years in the bigs. In 1998, Bloomquist tied a College World Series single-game record with five hits in a game with Long Beach State. Chicago Cubs.

How I hope to be remembered is [as] somebody who played the game the right way, had the respect of his teammates, fans and friends, and went about his business the right way. Jake: Oh yeah!

Willie Bloomquist enters his fifth season as a Special Assistant to D-backs President & CEO Derrick Hall after joining the front office in May 2016. There was a time in triple-A that I would…first half of the year I was hitting about a buck forty. You perform any exercises at your own risk. But it ultimately, the whole ride, and the big leagues was phenomenal. Jaycee Park.

Boston Red Sox.

"When we put a player's name up on one of these fields, we have to make sure that it is a player who truly has made an impact on the fan base and the community -- and one that we are going to be proud of forever," said D-backs president & CEO Derrick Hall. Man, and we’re here at Chase Field. Some defensive statistics Copyright © Baseball Info Solutions, 2010-2020. At the all-star break I might go “there’s no way I’m gonna make it up” and ended up just kind of going back to the basics. A fan favorite in both Seattle and Arizona, Bloomquist has long been involved in the communities in which he played and was the D-backs’ 2012 Roberto Clemente nominee for his efforts with Phoenix Children’s Hospital. And that's Willie Bloomquist. In 2018, the team dedicated Willie Bloomquist Field in Tempe as part of the Diamonds Back Field Building program, in conjunction with APS. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. In 2012, he set career highs with a .302 average and 21 doubles. "When you play on this field, I hope that you will respect the game, respect your teammates, respect your coaches, respect the uniform and, most importantly, respect yourself.". The Mariners signed Bloomquist to a contract extension through the 2008 season worth $1,875,000, in 2006. In 2018, the Arizona Diamondbacks dedicated "Willie Bloomquist Field" in his honor in Tempe, AZ. Blue Cross, Blue Shield, and the Cross and Shield Symbols are registered service marks of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans. People in Seattle and people here in Arizona I think recognized that and respected that about the way I played.

It looks like your browser does not have JavaScript enabled. when they see my name on the scoreboard, my hope and my desire is that someone will say that's a guy that represented the people that weren't the most athletic or the most talented. Not always the flashy way, but to go out and just play the game the right way. So for him, he introduced me to the game and kind of being the cornerstone as I was growing up – that was my inspiration. He and his wife, Lisa, have 4 daughters, Natalie, Ava, Layla and Sydney. Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. He played for a total of 384 outs, equivalent to 14.22 9-inning games. The youngster's team-first mentality is ironic, since it's reminiscent of the overall group effort that went into Tempe's Willie Bloomquist Field.Hull joined his Monsoon teammates and the seven other Tempe Minors teams on Saturday to help unveil the 41st "Diamonds Back" field in the D-backs and Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation's youth field-building program, supported by APS. We present them here for purely educational purposes.
Bill Bloomquist, a long time Port Orchard Rotary member, recognized for his commitment to the community. Message and data rates may apply. Willie: I was questioned my whole career. This park does not have restrooms, PARK RENTAL FACILITY - BILL BLOOMQUIST ROTARY PARK ATHLETIC FIELDS, Grass field for Youth Baseball, Softball, Soccer. As much as I think it was, you know, a lot of times the preparation and the effort that you can give.

Baseball, it’s your career.

Willie: You know, I would have to save my dad. Ultimately, what you get out of the game is what you put into the game. In 225 games for the D-backs, he hit .289 with 36 doubles, 8 triples, 4 homers, 63 RBI, 43 walks and 27 stolen bases. The Rotary also funded improvements to the parking lot. The Washington native played 3 seasons at ASU (1997-99) and earned 1999 Pac-10 Player of the Year honors as a junior. [3] On June 15, 2007, he hit an inside-the-park home run in Minute Maid Park. 817 W 5th St. Tempe Arizona United States 85281 (Last updated 03/24/19 at 01:45 PM ) View Directions. Bloomquist was All-State and all-league MVP in baseball at South Kitsap High School in Port Orchard, Washington and was an eighth round pick in 1996 MLB draft. And how do you like me now?” sort of thing. Primarily an outfielder and shortstop, he played every position, aside from catcher and pitcher, during his baseball career. So if there’s a message I could pass on to younger guys, it’s even though it’s the new millennium and everything’s kind of given to you, you got to work for what you get in return. Willie Bloomquist was the prototypical utility player, playing at least 45 games at every position except pitcher and catcher in a fourteen year career. Opting for college, he played for Arizona State, and was drafted by the Mariners again, this time in the 3rd round of the 1999 amateur draft. Really great to see you man!

You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. He finished his college career with a .394 (256/649) average over three seasons and was named ASU On Deck Circle Most Valuable Player.[2]. When he made it to the major leagues he captured the hearts of Mariners fans, and now plays for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Bloomquist attended the dedication at the Tempe Sports Complex. You may unsubscribe at any time. When he made it to the major leagues he captured the hearts of Mariners fans, and now plays for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Nozomi Park.

I’ve always said life’s about moments and how you overcome challenging moments. [6] He hit .266 in 97 games with the Diamondbacks in 2011 and re-signed with the team after the season. Arizona Diamondbacks. You agree to contact BCBSAZ through MyBlue to update your Account Profile if you change your home number. Let us know what you think...questions you have or aspects of your health that you'd like us to cover. Bill Bloomquist Rotary Park DedicationSon Willie Bloomquist became a great local ballplayer and part of the South Kitsap local color. During his 14-year Major League career, which included time with the Mariners (2002-08, ’14-15), Royals (2009-10) and Reds (2010), Bloomquist hit .269 with 778 hits, 110 doubles, 23 triples, 18 home runs, 225 RBI and 133 stolen bases in 1,055 career games. Win Expectancy, Run Expectancy, and Leverage Index calculations provided by Tom Tango of InsideTheBook.com, and co-author of The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball.

In addition to playing for the D-backs from 2011-13 -- which included filling an important role on the '11 National League West championship club, his lone playoff appearance in a 14-year MLB career -- Saturday's field dedication was in the shadow of nearby Arizona State University, where the Sun Devil Hall of Famer earned 1999 Pac-10 Player of the Year honors and posted a collegiate batting average of .394 over three seasons. Field #1: Grass field for Youth Baseball, Softball, ... Bill Bloomquist Rotary Park Dedication Son Willie Bloomquist became a great local ballplayer and part of the South Kitsap local color. Long range plans may include a batting cage, team benches, bleachers, storage facility, and expanded parking. He was drafted again by the Mariners out of Arizona State University in the third round (95th overall) of the 1999 MLB draft and signed. Local Rotarians searched diligently to find a fitting project that recognizes his leadership and involvement – and his love for baseball. Some high school data is courtesy David McWater. I was there, always that vision of I wanted to play major league baseball, you know. On June 30, 2012, Kitsap County and Port Orchard Rotary honored Bill Bloomquist with the dedication of the Bill Bloomquist Rotary Park. Bid on Willie Bloomquist Autographed Baseball at MLB Auctions. In his junior season, the team won the state AAA football championship [1], He chose to accept a scholarship to Arizona State University. To reduce and avoid injury, you should check with your doctor before beginning any fitness program. Career: 18 HR, .269 BA, 133 SB, OF/SS/3B, Mariners/Diamondbacks/... 2002-2015, b:R/t:R, born in WA 1977, Spork Willie! Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. Home 1 / My Health Videos 2 / Motivation 3 / Willie Bloomquist – Keys to Accomplishing Goals. In December 2001, he graduated from ASU with a degree in management and in 2013, he was inducted into the ASU Sports Hall of Fame. All rights reserved. (Kelsey Grant/Arizona Diamondbacks), D-backs unveil Willie Bloomquist Field in Tempe. In 2018, the team dedicated Willie Bloomquist Field in Tempe as part of the Diamonds Back Field Building program, in conjunction with APS. Much of the play-by-play, game results, and transaction information both shown and used to create certain data sets was obtained free of charge from and is copyrighted by RetroSheet.