Maybe Bart will find a way in intrasquad play to prove himself ready. With the roster expansion, I’m sure that will mean some more pitching but there has to be some more position players added also. Let's do it again 2morrow! The Dodgers catcher and the Braves lefty share more than a name, they now share a decisive moment in history. If and when he appears, it’ll represent his 15th season of MLB duty. Assuming there is some sort of season, and assuming the awful DH rule is used in both leagues or all divisions or whatever the format ends up being, I’d have a DH for Barnes every time he was catching and let whoever is pitching hit for themselves. The entire country shouldn’t be governed as if it was a liberal big city. Mets among teams that have checked in on Russell Martin. #GEARUPLA Some of his beliefs are conservative others are not. Anthony Rendon Atlanta Braves Austin Barnes Freddie Freeman Los Angeles Dodgers Russell Martin San Diego Padres Washington Nationals, MLB Trade Rumors is not affiliated with Major League Baseball, MLB or MLB.com, Clayton Kershaw Scratched From Game 2, Tony Gonsolin To Start, The Giants’ Options For Replacing Buster Posey, per Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Mets, Others Have Shown Interest In Russell Martin, Baseball Prospectus’ Fielding Runs Above Average, Athletics Considering Free-Agent Catchers, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Russell Martin Discusses Possible Retirement, Injury Notes: deGrom, Cano, Scherzer, Dodgers, Blue Jays, Sanchez, Dodgers Place Russell Martin On 10-Day IL, NL Notes: Rendon, Freeman, Dodgers, Padres, Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register, Qualifying Offer Value Set At $18.9 Million, KBO’s Kiwoom Heroes To Post Ha-Seong Kim This Offseason, Reds President Of Baseball Operations Dick Williams Resigns, Class Action Status Approved In Minimum Wage Case Against MLB, Rhys Hoskins Undergoes Tommy John Surgery, NL West Notes: Taylor, Padres, Myers, Giants, Luciano, Dodgers Plan To Start Walker Buehler In Game 6 Of NLCS, Braves To Start A.J. Let's Tie This Up Tomorrow! The only one that can possibly beat Trump at his own game. Important to clarify that Sherman’s tweet said he was tending to a “family matter”, not because of “family reasons”. Momentum Is Ours.... He governed based on his beliefs. Grand Tour Nation Events Wherever he goes (if he signs anywhere), he’ll have to settle for a low-paying major league contract or even a minors deal. Log in Register, MLB Trade Rumors is not affiliated with Major League Baseball, MLB or MLB.com, Clayton Kershaw Scratched From Game 2, Tony Gonsolin To Start, Nolan Arenado Discusses Relationship With Rockies, Zack Wheeler Heard “Crickets” From Mets In Free Agency, Qualifying Offer Value Set At $18.9 Million, KBO’s Kiwoom Heroes To Post Ha-Seong Kim This Offseason, Reds President Of Baseball Operations Dick Williams Resigns, Class Action Status Approved In Minimum Wage Case Against MLB, Rhys Hoskins Undergoes Tommy John Surgery, NL West Notes: Taylor, Padres, Myers, Giants, Luciano, Dodgers Plan To Start Walker Buehler In Game 6 Of NLCS, Braves To Start A.J. Here's how ... and how Houston can follow the blueprint. The Giants support Posey in his decision, and they’re going to continue to work with Bart and Bailey to get them ready for their big-league debuts. But, what if Smith or Barnes is out long-term with an injury? After that, boom! - Minter In Game 5 Of NLCS, Blue Jays Notes: Bichette, Shoemaker, Vlad, Framber Valdez, Blake Snell To Start Game 6 Of ALCS, How To Set Up Notifications For Breaking News. Without him, the Giants are looking at Chadwick Tromp, Tyler Heineman, and Rob Brantly as the top options from their player pool. Mets, A’s and a few other teams have checked in on free agent catcher Russell Martin. Again, Ruiz is not ready and I don’t believe Gale or Lobaton are guys I’d want to get a lot of starts. The 37-year-old is coming off a season in which he made 249 plate appearances and hit .220/.337/.330 with six home runs but racked up 1.2 fWAR in that time thanks to his work behind the plate. That remains the case, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. We’ve reached the middle of February, but longtime major league catcher Russell Martin is still without a job. Martin: Dodgers capitalized on Nats' pitching mistakes, Sutcliffe: MLB needs to change Choo-Martin rule, Most wonderful 2020 MLB playoffs moment? It’s going to be, do I have the desire? Time to retire! Jonathan Lucroy Oakland Athletics Russell Martin, By Jeff Todd | November 6, 2019 at 10:34am CDT. Add the Mets “and a few other teams” to the list, Jon Heyman of MLB Network tweets. Grand Tour Nation News The only one who could beat Trump is the ghost of Saddam Hussein. He’s close, appearing in 22 games at Double-A last year and raking to the tune of .316/.368/.544. The fact he doesn’t race to the fringe and does stick to his narrative of past cooperation and civility with the opposition, including persons he deeply disagreed with… yeah, probably the best bet not to use the levers of power to push through things he can’t get anyone to work with him on. I’m a big believer in Smith but Ruiz is not ready. Small difference, but the original implies he may be open to playing anywhere and just wasnt in a time when he could focus on that. Brantly, 30, is by far the most experienced of the three, but he hasn’t seen substantive time in the majors since 2017. Martin has long been lauded for his defensive chops and still grades as a plus pitch framer. Seager has 10 RBIs this week. Barnes sported an otherworldly 1.110 OPS when Martin hit the IL with lower back inflammation on April 10, but he’s now down to .729 in that category. Set to turn 37 on Saturday, the former Dodger, Yankee, Pirate and Blue Jay is statistically one of the most successful catchers ever, ranking ninth all-time at his position in fWAR (55.2). Probably the least likely of anyone to be nominated – Biden. I’ve always been a Martin fan. #ProspectHugger. He has a decent season with the Dodgers in 2019 as he had a .8 WAR in 83 games. Boston won. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a14e0dc508f6e3172473647854536bbf" );document.getElementById("fda58081dd").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. He was a hero when he played for the Blue Jays and it’s likely he wants to get as close to his home as he can. Rendon spoke about his future earlier in the week and didn’t sound particularly optimistic about an extension coming together. The team brought back veteran Rene Rivera, who made just 20 plate appearances at the major league level—all with the Mets—last year. Even the Jays could use him with the uncertainty surrounding McGuire aka Blowy McGee. As of November, Martin was still planning to play in 2020. Or gets caught squeezing one out in a parking lot…. @dodgers Contribute – Full-Time and Part-Time Positions in Los Angeles Sports, Dodgers Postseason: Corey Seager Dodges Odd Francisco Lindor Trade Question, Dodgers NLCS: Los Angeles Wins Game 5 to Stay Alive in the Series, Dodgers: Alex Wood Feels Team’s Past Success Makes it Difficult to Get Motivated in Big Moments, Dodgers NLCS: Dustin May Gets the Ball With LA Facing Elimination. Looie/dewey: I tend to also try to keep politics out of things, but, as you said, bloom berg is paying to keep the light on here soo….. My opinion, worth what was paid for it, goes something like this. This may be sarcasm, or not. Noooot so much. Russ brought a culture change and some much needed stability behind the plate. The Mets are among the teams that have checked in on veteran catcher Russell Martin, who is still available in free agency, per Jon Heyman.The 37-year-old is … happy when they got him back. Here’s the latest on other injuries from around baseball…, Aaron Sanchez Jacob deGrom Los Angeles Dodgers Max Scherzer New York Mets Rich Hill Robinson Cano Russell Martin Toronto Blue Jays Washington Nationals, By Jeff Todd | April 10, 2019 at 3:09pm CDT. He also played other positions, what more do you want? A healthy Hyun-Jin Ryu comes close, Martin hoping to catch 'magic' with Dodgers, 'Pop' science: Your guide to learning a new MLB stat, Bad money: The worst contract investments on all 30 teams, The hidden reason the DH rule hurts the NL. It could be. Both deGrom and manager Mickey Callaway expressed little concern over the soreness, leading the Mets to reconsider the previous plan to schedule an MRI for Monday. Am I going to enjoy myself doing it? That’s funny, man. Martin will be 37 on Opening Day 2020, so it isn’t any surprise that he has been considering the end of his career. He forgot how to hit years ago. 129,617, Official Instagram Account of #DodgersNation ⚾️. Given all that, the Dodgers should sign Russell Martin as soon as possible. This could possibly be my last year. Be a good 26th man on a team with catchers that can play other positions. The A’s aren’t giving up Canha for a backup catcher and a #7 starter. I see Smith as a hot and cold hitter. It’s unknown how recent the Mets’ interest in Martin was, but it does look as if the team could use a competent veteran to team with starter Wilson Ramos. DODGERS LEAD 4-2!!! #DodgersNation #dodgers #losangeles #lafans #doyers #baseball #mlb #besbol #fans #lableedsblue #thinkblue #ChavezRavine #HollywoodLifestyle #ItsAnLAThing #ITFDB #LATogether #coreyseager ... Mookie Monster! Please go sign him. He also kept up his eminently useful ways behind the late, where he finished both 17th among all catchers in Baseball Prospectus’ Fielding Runs Above Average metric and as a pitch framer. Meanwhile, Ramos has a long injury history. Don't Miss Any of the Latest Dodgers News, Rumors, and Exclusive Offers! Lololol. But he’d still like to play. He’ll be replaced on the active roster by fellow receiver Rocky Gale. I would like at least one of our late-2000’s players to have a last shot at a World Series. So, looking at bloomberg’s sound bites and what he’s done in NYC… well, that plays well to the coastal liberal bases, but those moderate conservatives/democrats? I have always liked Russell Martin. He’s also a highly respected veteran who’d help draw the best out of a pitching staff and add gravitas to the dugout. Gale, on the other hand, has done anything but thrive as a Dodger. by Nobody needs a veteran catcher more than the Dodgers. Not only was he the backbone of three, count ’em, three World Series titles, but he’s a class act and a fan favorite. Some are worried about Will Smith also, as he did have quite the up and down season. “Being on a team like this is fun, but if I wasn’t on a winning team, I’d have to be really selective on where I would go. Behind Ramos and Nido, the most established option in the New York organization is non-roster invitee Rene Rivera, who – despite having earned the trust of prominent right-hander Noah Syndergaard in the past – has never been much of an offensive threat in the majors.