Born in Manhattan's Washington Heights neighborhood, the four-time All-Star grew up on the island's Lower East Side. He was the first reliever in baseball history to have 100 or more strikeouts in five consecutive seasons. Dellin Betances says he's happy to be staying in his native New York after being introduced as a member of the New York Mets on Thursday. In 2018, Betances made 66 appearances, with a 2.70 ERA and 115 strikeouts in 66⅔ innings.

The New York native is 0-1 with a 6.10 ERA in 13 appearances this season. For now, however, at least the pieces are in place. After spending his first eight seasons in the majors with the crosstown Yankees, the New Yorker joined the Mets on a one-year contract with a player option for 2021. NEW YORK -- The New York Mets have placed struggling pitchers Dellin Betances and Steven Matz on the injured list, one day after they both made appearances against the New York Yankees. Recibe noticias, estadísticas, videos, resúmenes y más sobre New York Mets relevista Dellin Betances en ESPNDeportes. The anatomy of a 3-0 comeback, MLB Friday Takeaways: Astros make history in forcing Game 7; Dodgers stay alive, How MLB old school beat new: Inside the Astros' big inning that won Game 6, Ranking 35 trades that shaped the Rays, Astros, Dodgers and Braves, Baseball keeps losing legends in 2020, and Joe Morgan might have been the smallest and mightiest of them all, 2021 MLB draft order set by 2020 standings, How the Rays are winning big without spending big money, MLB offseason preview: What's next for teams already out of the playoffs. We believe that a healthy and dominant Dellin combined with Edwin Diaz and Seth Lugo and Justin Wilson, Jeurys Familia, Brad Brach, Robert Gsellman. "Cano, he got involved closer to the end, and Carlos again had a conversation late in the process. He appeared in 358 regular-season games with the Yankees, posting a 2.36 ERA. Will Smith homering off Will Smith, Dodgers' Taylor (ankle) out of Game 6 lineup, Astros rekindle memories of '04 Red Sox in ALCS, 'Dangerous' Seager hits 2 HRs, L.A. stays alive, Braves' Minter K's 7 in 3 innings in starting debut, Ex-Angels employee indicted in Skaggs' OD death, MLB players extend COVID-free streak to 47 days, MLB Playoffs Daily: Can Braves eliminate Dodgers, plus climactic Astros-Rays Game 7, Could the 2020 Astros join the 2004 Red Sox on Saturday? "His health is something that we got comfortable with throughout the process.
"He's probably one of the players that I would say is just hungry for baseball," Betances said of rookie manager Carlos Beltran.

If Betances is truly healthy and Diaz can return to his previous form, Van Wagenen's optimism may be warranted. A year later he suited up for Low A Staten Island, eventually making his big league debut at Yankee Stadium in 2011, "I feel like we've been spoiled throughout our career," the 31-year-old Betances said about playing in the city in which he grew up. "This signing was intended to blow the cover off of our ceiling. Get the latest updated stats for New York Mets relief pitcher Dellin Betances on ESPN.com "From our standpoint we expect him to be fully on track for the start of spring training.". To replace Matz and Betances on the active roster, the Mets recalled right-handed relievers Drew Smith and Franklyn Kilome from the alternate site in Brooklyn. Betances threw a wild pitch on Saturday in the ninth inning that allowed Clint Frazier to score the winning run in the Yankees' 2-1 victory. "I think Carlos had a relationship with Dellin and the fact that both were here in New York presented opportunities for them to be in communication," said Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen, noting that several teams were interested in Betances. Secondly, even in his difficult time last year he still struck out 99 batters over the course of the year," Van Wagenen said of Diaz.

Mets place pitchers Betances, Matz on injured list, Passan: MLB's most wonderful 2020 playoffs moment? Betances tore his Achilles tendon during that appearance and has not pitched since.

Matz is 0-4 with an 8.63 ERA in six appearances; Saturday was his first time in relief this season. Latest on New York Mets relief pitcher Dellin Betances including complete game-by-game stats on ESPN The Yankees drafted Betances out of Brooklyn's Grand Street Campus High School in 2006. I know how much a lot of the players are going to be excited to play for a guy like that, a future Hall of Famer.".

"Then we know the work that he's putting into his training -- from a nutrition standpoint, strength and conditioning as well as nuts and bolts mechanics.". The embattled closer has been working with new pitching coach Jeremy Hefner, and the GM is encouraged. Opponents have hit just .170 against Betances during his career, the third-lowest mark among active players with at least 300 innings pitched. "My arm was feeling really strong and healthy, so I'm pretty bummed about it.". The Mets and reliever Dellin Betances have reached a one-year deal, which is worth $10.5 million with potential for Betances to earn $13 million, sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan. Listed at 6-foot-8 and 265 pounds, Betances strikes an imposing presence on the mound. "Christmas, in fact, came a little bit early as we celebrated our signing with the New York Mets.". He was sidelined since spring training with a strained lat before making his 2019 debut in mid-September, an outing that lasted just eight pitches. "This past week-and-a-half has brought a lot of excitement to myself and my family," Betances said during his introductory news conference Thursday at Citi Field, where he was joined by more than two dozen family members. He allowed four combined runs in his first two starts, but was tagged for 19 runs in his next three starts and pulled from the rotation after allowing six runs in a 6-2 loss at Philadelphia on Aug. 15. A lot has to go right for that to happen. He can throw in the high-90s, his fastball coupled with an effective knuckle curve. "First and foremost, he's healthy. The deal was announced on Christmas Eve and guarantees the towering right-handed reliever at least $10.5 million. "He's got size, he's got strength and he's got swagger when he takes the mound," Van Wagenen said of his club's newest acquisition. This collective group has the potential to be one of the best bullpens in baseball.". He joined the team on … The anatomy of a 3-0 comeback, MLB Friday Takeaways: Astros make history in forcing Game 7; Dodgers stay alive, How MLB old school beat new: Inside the Astros' big inning that won Game 6, Ranking 35 trades that shaped the Rays, Astros, Dodgers and Braves, Baseball keeps losing legends in 2020, and Joe Morgan might have been the smallest and mightiest of them all, 2021 MLB draft order set by 2020 standings, How the Rays are winning big without spending big money, MLB offseason preview: What's next for teams already out of the playoffs.

Betances learned a lot from Chapman, Miller, Yankees unveil baseball's most dominant back end of bullpen. This Big Apple baseball tour culminates with his new team in Queens, where Betances will be counted on to play a key role on a club managed by a former teammate and close friend. This signing's different," he said about adding Betances. He missed nearly two months as a rookie with a lat injury, missed the final month of 2016 with left shoulder tightness and had two stints on the injured list in 2017 with left elbow injuries.

Mets place pitchers Betances, Matz on injured list, Recapping MLB's offseason moves, from blockbusters to those you probably forgot, Mets keep distance on 1st day of Citi camp, MLB to return in 2020?

Copyright: © 2020 ESPN Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. He did his rehab here in New York," Van Wagenen said. "The only thing is that I have to work a lot harder now to try to gain some of that strength that you lose when you have to wear a boot for six weeks.". Will Smith homering off Will Smith, Dodgers' Taylor (ankle) out of Game 6 lineup, Astros rekindle memories of '04 Red Sox in ALCS, 'Dangerous' Seager hits 2 HRs, L.A. stays alive, Braves' Minter K's 7 in 3 innings in starting debut, Ex-Angels employee indicted in Skaggs' OD death, MLB players extend COVID-free streak to 47 days, MLB Playoffs Daily: Can Braves eliminate Dodgers, plus climactic Astros-Rays Game 7, Could the 2020 Astros join the 2004 Red Sox on Saturday? "Normal offseason as far as throwing-wise and preparation," he said. Betances has been long tossing and plans to throw off of a mound in about a week. "I was feeling so good coming in," Matz said. Buster Olney's top 10 starting pitchers: Which Big Apple ace is No. The Mets signed Betances to a one-year deal with a player option for 2021 in December. Matz was placed on the IL with left shoulder discomfort and will see a doctor Monday to determine the next step. The 4.95 ERA ranked 12th in the National League, and the bullpen converted a paltry 38 saves in 65 opportunities. "I've talked many times this offseason and in the past that our goal is to increase the floor of our projected win total.

I think the rest of my family were excited, so I think it worked out perfect.". Mets hope Betances can play key role in bullpen revival, Passan: MLB's most wonderful 2020 playoffs moment? Beltran influenced Betances' decision to sign with the Mets, as did several others in the organization, including veteran second baseman Robinson Cano, who had multiple FaceTime video calls with the reliever.

Betances landed on the injured list with right lat tightness. Latest on New York Mets relief pitcher Dellin Betances including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on ESPN On Sunday, he said the injury was a surprise because of how well he had been feeling. Matz made his debut for the Mets in 2015, but he has spent time on the injured list in every season. "Obviously, him being the manager here definitely helped out. But Carlos more regularly and then Robbie more actively.". The deal will guarantee him $10.5 million.

"I definitely felt like I didn't have anything today," Betances said. Manager Luis Rojas said he did not think this injury was related to the lat strain that sidelined him for most of last season with the Yankees.

He is averaging 93.2 mph on his fastball, down from the 97.8 he averaged on the pitch in 2018, his last of five straight seasons with at least 100 strikeouts. Matz was moved to the bullpen and felt discomfort in a relief appearance on Saturday. The New York Mets have placed struggling pitchers Dellin Betances and Steven Matz on the injured list, one day after they both made appearances against the New York Yankees. "I was definitely excited to stay home.

Breaking down MLB moves you might have missed over the holidays. A weak spot last year, the Mets' bullpen has plenty of potential heading into 2020.

The biggest disappointment was former All-Star Edwin Diaz, whose ERA ballooned from 1.96 in 2018 to 5.59 in his first year with New York. Matz briefly was sidelined in the previous two seasons. For some players, the financial stakes are higher than others, Same city, new chapter: Betances gets fresh start with Mets, Mets hope Betances can play key role in bullpen revival, Breaking down MLB moves you might have missed over the holidays, Mets sign reliever Betances to one-year deal, Yankees hire tech-savvy, 34-year-old pitching coach, Betances told Achilles surgery not recommended.

"His power stuff can overmatch and overpower, and ultimately he can intimidate his opposing hitters.".

Betances' journey has taken him through all five of New York City's boroughs.