It was directed and choreographed by Larry Fuller and featured Daniel C. Cooney as Che. DeVito's performance of "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina" in the screen test caused much positive buzz. A touring production was mounted in anticipation of the film version which lasted over a year and featured several actresses in the title role, including future Tony nominee Marla Schaffel. Madonna received mixed reviews but received a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for her performance. In her dream, she and Che heatedly debate her actions; Che accuses Eva of using the Argentine people for her own ends, while Eva cynically replies that there is no glory in trying to solve the world's problems from the sidelines ("A Waltz for Eva and Che"). [45], Regent's Park Open Air Theatre presented the musical (directed by Jamie Lloyd) from 2 August – 21 September 2019.[46]. Includes fabulous color photos from the Broadway production! Travelling late to a meal one night in 1973, though, Rice heard the end of a radio show about Eva Perón which intrigued him. Evita is a musical with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice. Lloyd Webber and Rice produced these first three recordings. Some user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. 11 songs from this beloved Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice musical: And the Money Kept Rolling In (And Out) - Another Suitcase in Another Hall - Buenos Aires - Don't Cry for Me Argentina - Eva, Beware of the City - High Flying, Adored - I'd Be Surprisingly Good for You - On This Night of a Thousand Stars - Rainbow High - She Is a Diamond - Waltz for Eva and Che. Ackland's replacements included John Turner, Oz Clark and Daniel Benzali. After Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical Evita opened in London in 1978 with Elaine Paige in the starring role of Eva Peron (wife of the Argentine dictator Juan Peron in the 1940s and ‘50s), Marti Webb became Paige's stand-in, eventually inheriting the part. In the US and UK, respectively, Karen Carpenter, Olivia Newton-John, and Petula Clark released cover versions of "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina". A year had passed between the first screen tests and Minnelli's, which Russell reports was amazing. [19], Evita opened at the Prince Edward Theatre on 21 June 1978 and closed on 18 February 1986, after 3,176 performances. [35], In Mexico City the show premiered at the Teatro Ferrocarrilero on 26 June 1981, with Valeria Lynch and Rocío Banquells alternating as Eva, Jaime Garza and Javier Díaz Dueñas alternating as Che, Jorge Pais as Perón, César Millán as Magaldi and Carmen Delgado as Perón's mistress. Rice created a character, Che, to serve as a narrator and Greek chorus. [36], Directed by Maurício Shermann and starring Cláudia as Evita, Mauro Mendonça as Péron, Carlos Augusto Strazzer as Che, Sílvia Massari as Perón's mistress, and Hildon Prado as Magaldi, it premiered at Teatro João Caetano in Rio de Janeiro on 12 January 1983. In 1934, 15-year-old Eva Duarte lives in the province of Junín, and longs to seek a better life in Buenos Aires. Songlist: And The Money Kept Rolling In (And Out), Another Suitcase In Another Hall, Don't Cry For Me Argentina, Buenos Aires, Eva, Beware Of The City, High Flying, Adored, I'd Be Surprisingly Good For You, On This Night Of A Thousand Stars, Rainbow High, She Is A Diamond, Waltz For Eva And Che. Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website. [33][34], The first Spanish language version premiered at the Teatro Monumental in Madrid on 23 December 1980, directed by Jaime Azpilicueta and with Paloma San Basilio as Eva, Patxi Andión as Che, Julio Catania as Perón, Tony Landa as Magaldi and Montserrat Vega as Perón's mistress. LuPone has stated about her time in the show: "Evita was the worst experience of my life,' she said. When he began working on the project in May, he suggested few changes, other than for deleting Che's rock number "The Lady's Got Potential". It concentrates on the life of Argentine political leader Eva Perón, the second wife of Argentine president Juan Perón. Having already protested that idea, Russell quit the film. The story follows Evita's early life, rise to power, charity work, and eventual death. Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for Evita - Original London Studio Cast on AllMusic - 1976 - The original Broadway cast recording of Evita,… Gary Bond replaced David Essex as Che, then Mark Ryan, who had first starred as Magaldi, later assumed the role, followed by Martin Smith and Jimmy Kean. nominations.[24]. The Evita: Original London Cast Recording was recorded in 1978 and released by MCA Records. The production was directed by Harold Prince, choreographed by Larry Fuller, and produced by Robert Stigwood. Contains: 'On This Night Of A Thousand Stars', 'Another Suitcase In Another Hall', 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' and 'I'd Be Surprisingly Good For You. Scrobbling is when Last.fm tracks the music you listen to and automatically adds it to your music profile. When the album was presented to the press at Lloyd Webber's country home Sydmonton, Pasini organised a photographic presentation with his colleague Anton Furst to accompany it. The Stratford Shakespeare Festival produced Evita as its first rock musical from 28 to 6 May November 2010. It was not until 1996 that Evita came to the big screen. Rock music includes "Oh What a Circus", "Perón's Latest Flame", and a song cut from the original production called "The Lady's Got Potential". The original London production transferred to the Opera House in Manchester for an extended run following its closure at the Prince Edward Theatre. After a devastating earthquake hits the town of San Juan, Perón organizes a charity concert at Luna Park to provide aid to the victims. Covington's recording of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" (originally titled "It's Only Your Lover Returning")[11] was released in October 1976.