[13] Depending on the Ocean or Fleet AOR, there can be variations in the rite. Durante la cerimonia, i Pollywogs subiscono una serie di prove sempre più imbarazzanti (indossare abiti al rovescio e all'indietro; strisciare su mani e ginocchia su ponti rivestiti antiscivolo; essere schiacciati con brevi tratti di manichetta da fuoco; essere rinchiusi in ceppi e gogna e bersagliati con pasticcio frutta; essere rinchiusi in una bara d'acqua di acqua salata e colorante marino verde brillante (sale di sodio fluorescente); strisciare attraverso scivoli o grandi vasche di immondizia in decomposizione; baciare la pancia del Royal Baby ricoperta di grasso per assi, tagliare i capelli, ecc. Submitting to an employer faithfully & working to make him/her successful. Equator-crossing ceremonies, typically featuring King Neptune, are common in the navy and are also sometimes carried out for passengers' entertainment on civilian ocean liners and cruise ships. Ah, all my fellow sailors who lived onboard the Mercy Ship in 2000 will know. “Pollywogs no more! The coverage provoked widespread criticism, especially when the videotape showed some of the submarine's officers watching the entire proceedings from the conning tower. The challenge is getting on a voyage that goes through the last one you need. In seguito, alcuni potrebbero essere "interrogati" da Re Nettuno e dal suo entourage, e l'uso del "siero della verità" (salsa piccante + dopobarba) e uova intere crude messe in bocca. Even rarer, crossing at the Prime Meridian grants you access into the Order of the Emerald Shellback. —at last, glad enough, I escaped. 4. Totally thrilled to be short-listed, I had no aspirations of winning. La maggior parte delle marine moderne ha istituito regolamenti che vietano gli attacchi fisici ai marinai durante la cerimonia di attraversamento della linea. Copyright © 2007 - 2020 Tiffany Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Our ship’s crew claimed to be first in the world at the turn of the millennium to receive this rare title. The Golden Shellback, another rare status, marks a sailor who has crossed the equator at the International Date Line. Most modern navies have instituted regulations that prohibit physical attacks on sailors undergoing the line-crossing ceremony. Someday, we’ll stand before the throne and wait for the words, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”. In 1995, a notorious line-crossing ceremony took place on the Royal Australian Navy submarine HMAS Onslow. Is there any eternal significance? About 9am the next day, the novices or "griffins" were assembled in the darkness and heat of the lower deck, then one at a time were blindfolded and led up on deck by "four of Neptunes constables", as "buckets of water were thundered all around". The Navy Terms. They are fully personalized with crewmember’s name, rate/rank, date of event, Commanding Officer’s name and signature. Sharing of time, talent and treasure to further the kingdom. 1. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Sharing of time, talent and treasure to further the kingdom. If you do watch the Academy Awards this year, I hope it will remind you of the great up and coming Eternal Awards Ceremony. Mentre si avvicinavano all'equatore la sera del 16 febbraio 1832, uno pseudo-Nettuno chiamò la nave. [10], U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt described his crossing-the-line ceremony aboard the "Happy Ship" USS Indianapolis with his "Jolly Companions" in a letter to his wife Eleanor Roosevelt on 26 November 1936. I wog, tutti i non iniziati, possono catturare e interrogare i gusci che riescono a trovare (ad esempio, legandoli, rompendo le uova o versando la lozione dopobarba sulle loro teste). Sounds simple enough — until you realize there's only two left in the entire Armed Forces. I pollywogs hanno partecipato volontariamente, anche se le donne guardiamarina hanno osservato di essere sotto pressione sociale per celebrare la cerimonia, ma sono state oggetto di abusi più duri. Gli sforzi per ridurre la cerimonia di attraversamento della linea non iniziarono fino agli anni '80, quando iniziarono a circolare diversi rapporti di sfacciato nonnismo riguardo alla cerimonia di attraversamento della linea, e almeno una morte fu attribuita ad abusi durante l'attraversamento della linea. The Navy has plenty of interesting and unique milestones for its sailors to strive for. Shellback certificate awarded to Charles Cameron, aboard USS Utah (BB-31), commemorating his first crossing of the Equator, December 1, 1928. - Poi mi insaponarono il viso e la bocca con pece e vernice, e ne grattò via un po 'con un pezzo di cerchio di ferro ruvido. When a ship must cross the Equator reasonably close to one of these meridians, the ship's captain will typically plot a course across the Golden X so that the ship's crew can be initiated as Golden or Emerald/Royal Diamond Shellbacks. La loro cerimonia più recente si è svolta durante l'estate del 2019, sul TSES VI , tenutasi poco dopo la partenza da Reykjavik . No one is really sure when or how the Line Crossing Ceremony, “Order of Neptune”, came about. email us to request a copIES YOU CAN PRINT OUT. See Golden Shellback for crossing at the International Date Line. The ship's artist, Augustus Earle, made a sketch of the scene.[5]. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. So you see, your reward is truly out of this world! Nel documentario della PBS Carrier , girato nel 2005 (episodio 7, "Rites of Passage"), una cerimonia di attraversamento del confine sulla USS  Nimitz è ampiamente documentata. Please note that the actual certificates will NOT have the watermarked images. All in the Same Boat: Living in Community, Ten Reasons NOT to Complain about my Commute, Straddling the Streams – “The Baby Boomer Mom”, Autumn & Winter Seasons of Marriage: When Love Celebrates/When Love Rests, Summer Season of Marriage: When Love Toils, Spring Season of Marriage: When Love Blossoms, Anchored: Surviving the Drift of Unemployment. Il primo "grifone" fu Charles Darwin , che annotò nel suo diario come "fu poi posto su una tavola, che poteva essere facilmente inclinata in un grande bagno d'acqua. - L'intera nave era un bagno con doccia: e l'acqua stava volando in ogni direzione: ovviamente nessuna persona, nemmeno il Capitano, chiaro di essere bagnato. " From sticker charts on the fridge to printed awards, to trophies, to bursaries and university cash awards, they were constantly affirmed for achievement. Sailors still have, uh, "issues" in the Philippines. Does our tombstone record these? See special Emerald Shellback for crossing at the Greenwich Meridian. The ceremony observes a mariner’s transformation from slimy Pollywog, a seaman who hasn’t crossed the equator, to trusty Shellback, also called a Son or Daughter of Neptune. Wog poi restituito al castello di prua , dove sono stati hosed fuori dal firehose e poi permesso di bacio, a sua volta, il ventre del mare-bambino, ai piedi del mare-Hag, e l'anello di Re Nettuno , ogni personificati da shellbacks . 2. The Emerald Shellback or Royal Diamond Shellback for maritime personnel who cross the Equator at the prime meridian. First, the test of relationship – did we perform our deed apart from abiding in the Vine and in our own strength? In more than one instance, sailors were reported to have been killed while participating in a line-crossing ceremony.