© 2020 Biography and the Biography logo are registered trademarks of A&E Television Networks, LLC. Montgomery went on to star in made-for-TV movies that often won her critical acclaim. Elizabeth Cady Stanton was an early leader of the woman's rights movement, writing the Declaration of Sentiments as a call to arms for female equality. Betty leaves her cousins, Mary Graham, Ian Claessens and … LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Elizabeth Montgomery, who charmed 1960s television viewers as a nose-twitching suburban sorceress married to a wary mortal in ``Bewitched,″ died today after a battle with cancer. She never taught, but she devoted her life to being a homemaker and creating a loving and warm Christian home. Reference books and news clippings put her age at 62, but her family said she was 57. If you see something that doesn't look right, contact us! Married four times, her first husband was businessman Frederick Gallatin Cammann (1954-'55). In a 1965 Associated Press interview, when ``Bewitched″ was flying high, she recalled that ``I’d never thought much about a series because I liked the idea of picking a script I liked with a character I thought I could sustain for an hour. I pray that you are in the Heavens with the King of Kings, and we all will see you again, but not just in pictures. But television was her medium of choice. Elizabeth was preceded in death by her parents, and by her daughter Jolene Montgomery. By 1956 he was on to his third wife, Elizabeth Montgomery, daughter of famed Hollywood actor Robert Montgomery. She died just eight weeks later on May 18, 1995, at age 62. Have watched them as a young person through to an older adult. The daughter of Hollywood star Robert Montgomery also appeared in a few films in the 1950s and '60s, including "The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell." She attended Westlake School for Girls and Spencer School in New York. Actress Elizabeth Taylor starred in films like 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' and 'Butterfield 8' but was just as famous for her violet eyes and scandalous love life. Montgomery died at her home surrounded by husband Robert Foxworth and her children, said family spokesman Howard Bragman. Flowers may be sent or memorial donations may be made in Bettys name to the Salvatore Padula Chapter 87, To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our. We strive for accuracy and fairness. Plant a tree to honor the memory of your loved one. I have cried of Elizabeth's passing. "Bewitched," a comedy that ran on ABC from 1964 to 1972, was one of the network's biggest hits and Montgomery's only TV series. When Samantha wound up using sorcery as a last resort to solve a comic problem, a twitch of the nose was usually all it took. In March 1995, Montgomery was diagnosed with colon cancer. Elizabeth Smart spent nine months in captivity after being abducted from her home at age 14 in 2002. Among Montgomery's personal crusades was AmFAR, The American Foundation for AIDS research, and she regularly supported liberal causes. Elizabeth Montgomery was born on April 15, 1933, to actress Elizabeth Allen and actor Robert Montgomery, who was a major film star of the 1930s and '40s. She was born in Dunbarton, Scotland, the daughter of the late John and Elizabeth (Claessens) Montgomery and has lived in Marlborough most of her life. In "Bewitched," Samantha was surrounded by relatives who disapproved of her efforts to abandon her supernatural roots. She was a member of Wylie Baptist Church in Wylie Texas and Lakeway Church in Lakeway Texas. Select from premium Elizabeth Montgomery of the highest quality. In a series, you live with one character day in and day out _ and you only hope it will be one that will not drive your crazy." I always told my wife I love you very much dear but if Elizabeth Montgomery were to walk into this room you would be so out. A woman full of Christian love and charity, she was an extremely strong woman and a woman of faith and action who assisted disabled veterans, homeless, those in need of food, and children with health issues with whatever assistance she could provide or find. The antics of the well-meaning Samantha and her quirky relatives wreaked havoc for Darrin, who tried to conceal the strange goings-on from nosy neighbors and from his stuffy boss. Get email updates about Elizabeth Montgomery delivered directly to your inbox. York, who suffered from emphysema, died at age 63 in February 1992. Elizabeth Montgomery was born on April 15, 1933, to actress Elizabeth Allen and actor Robert Montgomery, who was a major film star of the 1930s and '40s. Actress Elizabeth Montgomery made magic on TV's top-rated sitcom Bewitched from 1964 to 1972. Montgomery's mother, Elizabeth Allen Montgomery, also was an actress. I am now 60 years old myself but now and then I will see bewitched on t.v. She passed away from cancer in 1995 at the age of 62 — just three years after she joined Dick Sargent as the Grand Marshalls of the Gay Pride Parade in L.A. Photo credit: Getty Images. Sargent, 64, died in July 1994 after a battle with prostate cancer. Sargent, 64, died in July 1994 after a battle with prostate cancer. ``Bewitched,″ which ran on ABC from 1964 to 1972, was her only series. and my heart will start to pound just the same way it did for her at the age of 7. It was her second TV film based on the career of reporter Edna Buchanan. A calling hour will be held prior to Mass from 9-10 a.m. in the church. Betty leaves her cousins, Mary Graham, Ian Claessens and Michael Thather as well as her close friends, Robert Valle, Patricia Nannery and Dorothy Orlandi. The John P. Rowe Funeral Home Inc., 57 Main Street, Marlborough is in care of the arrangements. Elizabeth,I still watch bewitched and see how beautiful you are back then and look at you now and you still haven't changed..sorry you had to pass in such a harsh manner..a fan forever. Please allow 24 hours for your entry to be reviewed for appropriate content. By the time the cancer was diagnosed, it had spread to her liver and it was too late for medical intervention. Prayers for your family here on this stop before eternity. Source: www.elizabethmontgomerysites.com/ Elizabeth a few weeks before her death in May, 1995. After Spencer, she enrolled in the Academy of Dramatic Arts. Send your deepest condolences with fresh flowers. Among Montgomery’s previous husbands were actor Gig Young and ``Bewitched″ producer William Asher; she and Asher had three children. After Bewitched, Montgomery played dramatic roles in TV movies, including A Case of Rape (1974), The Legend of Lizzie Borden (1975), Black Widow Murders (1993), The Corpse Had a Familiar Face (1994) and Deadline For Murder (1995). In a series, you live with one character day in and day out _ and you only hope it will be one that will not drive your crazy.″, Being a star’s daughter opened doors early in her career, she once said, but ``after that initial advantage _ then it’s entirely up to you. She has since gone on to become an accomplished activist and author. Elizabeth Montgomery, the mischievous witch with the nasal twitch who brought her enchanting whimsy into America's living rooms for eight years, died Thursday morning…