May finished out the inning and started warming up for the second inning before Dodgers manager Dave Roberts and a trainer came out to the mound. 12:55 am ET. I’m holding in Roto but would be willing to drop in points. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED is a registered trademark of ABG-SI LLC. overall stat line looks good, but not really offering much in the way of points. On Friday, as the Dodgers faced elimination, the team figured it would need him to go deep into the game. “We’ll know significantly more after the test tomorrow,” Roberts said. Mike Soroka (392) came into 2019 with breakout pedigree, but a late-March shoulder issue pushed back his arrival time to the majors, along with his draft value. Prefer this, actually; better chance for a win. Sandy Alcantara (260) comes into this year with 197.1 innings pitched for the Marlins in 2019, but his high walk rate (3.7) and low strikeout rate (6.9) pushes him under the radar. He did close 2019 on a hot streak, scoring at least 11 Fantasy points in four of his final six games. Use coupon code EDGE25 to receive 25% off your monthly season-long subscription & gain a cash-winning edge with FullTime Fantasy. Mike Soroka made his major league debut in 2019 on April 18th. For more game-breaking advice from Shawn Childs, a 5-time high-stakes fantasy baseball national champ, subscribe to FullTime Fantasy. I identified him in the Dodgers outlook in mid-February while giving him this closing line, “Almost a gift based on ADP (244). “We’ll see how he goes through one inning, and maybe he goes back out. Your guide to the 2020 election in California. The Dodgers shrugged off the conventional wisdom, at least for a night, and extended their 2020 season in their own way. Gingergaard (nickname not mine) is here to stay. Los Angeles is going to win over 100 games in 2020, and any starting arm that pitches a minimum of six innings is going to win close to half of their starts. With 30 starts (probably less now), May had the makings of an arm with a sub 3.50 ERA and 175-plus strikeouts. © 2004-2020 CBS Interactive. The Washington offense isn't expected to be explosive enough to trust Hopkins on Draft Day as a starter, but he could emerge as a streamer during the season. You’re going to have those games,” Roberts said. May pushed his way from AA to the majors last year while not losing a beat on the big stage (3.63 ERA and 32 Ks over 34.2 innings). On Friday, he got six outs on 55 pitches. We might permanently block any user who abuses these conditions.   Pasted as rich text. May covered the first two innings, and not well. Here’s a look at the ADPs for the top five breakout pitchers last year: Lucas Giolito (510) was a 50-50 coin flip to be drafted in deep leagues while finding his way back into the free-agent pool in mid-April due to a hamstring issue. I watch most of this guys starts and I was really happy with today. A move to Texas suggested more risk while owning a 200-inning resume in his early career with the Cardinals. Other breakout pitchers came from the mid-levels of drafts to the waiver wire. By May is Thor throwing sinkers. “I think I’ve learned some kind of cliche techniques of how to take some breaths in certain spots and things like that, but at the end of the day it is about making pitches, and I’ve been fortunate enough to do that in some spots previously.”. If a pitcher didn’t meet the innings requirement in 2018 for this graph, I gave them a -5.00 rating for SIscore. Dustin May doesn’t provide Walker Buehler moment, but other Dodgers deliver win Dodgers starting pitcher Dustin May delivers during the first … He proved to be a great value in drafts while offering an edge in ERA (2.32) and WHIP (1.01). It was not May’s day. Back-to-back home runs by Corey Seager and A.J. He has worked for daily newspapers as a sportswriter since 1983, in Southern California since 1987 and at the Orange County Register since 1999. Also, I used Dinelson Lamet as my breakout arm in 2018 only to see him blow out his right elbow before the start of the year. Hyun-Jin Ryu (190) pitched well in 2018 (1.97 ERA), but his success came over 82.1 innings. His success last year came over the final five months of the season. In reversal, Trump administration approves California wildfire relief funding. Dustin May went at least four innings in 10 of his 12 outings during the regular season. Buehler had started that season in the Pacific Coast League. By the time Minter was gone, May was long gone. The bullpen gave up one run in. Joe Kelly, Blake Treinen, Pedro Baez, Victor Gonzalez, Brusdar Graterol and (surprise) Kenley Jansen combined to give up one run and four hits over seven innings, holding down the Braves while Corey Seager and Will Smith roughed up the Braves’ bullpen with home runs. Without a doubt, the arm I view as the breakout arm in 2020 is Dustin May. Dustin May’s start Thursday was even shorter. The offseason reports have been positive, and he looks motivated to have a comeback season. But he should still make a couple starts IMO. His slider looked solid and he got 1 or 2 Ks with it if I remember correctly, and his fastball was electric as usual. His command was elite in the minors (2.0 walks per nine), and he followed through with the Dodgers in 2019 (1.3 walks per nine). he threw a pitch right down the pipe that was called a ball for some weird reason. With 151.2 innings under his belt in 2018, he should make a full season of starts with plenty of strikeouts. California is slowly gaining jobs, but unemployment remains grim, Dustin May doesn’t provide Walker Buehler moment, but other Dodgers deliver win. He had never started a postseason game, except for a one-inning stint as an opener. We are a keeper league but we did this year as a re-draft. It is all here. The home runs happened, but that's the price you pay of being aggressive with a lead. “It just wasn’t a crisp, clean game by us — all the way around. Over their past 11 games, Dodgers relievers have thrown 52 1/3 innings including at least three innings each game. In Game 1 of this series, May worked in relief of Buehler, getting five outs on 21 pitches.