Happ’s spot in the rotation as well. But even a cursory glance at his page on Baseball Savant shows underlying numbers that would scare off a team this winter. First, considering that doubleheaders are only seven innings this year, it actually lessened the strain on the pitching. Everything you need to know about sports betting starts here. Earlier this week, the Phillies made official their five-year, $118 million signing of starter Zack Wheeler, formerly of the Mets. © 2020 Advance Local Media LLC. Brenden Dillon thanks Sharks fans, San Jose after trade to Capitals, Billy Hamilton could give Giants huge edge with new rule this season, A’s takeaways: What you might have missed in 3-0 win over Angels. Welcome to our new and improved comments, which are for subscribers only. If you see comments in violation of our community guidelines, please report them. Brian Cashman’s job is to listen to both sides and render a verdict; in this case, he sided with the scouts who saw Gregorius as a winning player. Assuming that the Yankees could deal out of their surplus of young pitching prospects that just aren’t ready yet — and also that the Phillies could desperately use some bullpen help — I offered Albert Abreu straight up for Gregorius and the deal went through. In Gregorius’ case, it seems that Cashman’s scouts were right to push for the initial trade, and the numbers correctly identified the right time to let him go. Much love.”. Listen on Apple Podcasts | Spotify, Gang's All Here: A NY Jets Podcast "Didi … He waited and waited and waited for the Yankees to tell him during the 2019 season that they wanted him back, then he waited some more after he filed for free agency. Torres is a shortstop by trade and the Yankees leaned on him as Gregorius rehabbed from reconstructive elbow surgery on his right arm. Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. Advanced data noted that his first-step quickness had declined, which is one of the reasons the team decided to let him walk. D.J. Watch full interview here: h…, RT @fil_martino: A company out of Taiwan has a rapid #COVID19 test it wants to get approved in Canada. Alphastox Admin 2 hours ago. Gregorius’ exit velocity was in the 2nd percentile among MLB hitters. Get all the sports news you need, direct to your inbox. Phillies free agent signees Didi Gregorius (left) and Zack Wheeler chat during a news conference Monday in Philadelphia. Get the latest odds on all the top sports. You do not need a Facebook profile to participate. Pre-travel test means no quarantine for tourists to Hawaii, WHO study shows remdesivir does little to prevent COVID deaths, Starbucks sets goals for increasing diversity in coming years, Trump or Biden? PHILADELPHIA — Sounds of silence are what convinced new Phillies shortstop Didi Gregorius to give up hope of re-signing with the Yankees. The Yankees have a lot of doubleheaders coming up so I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have preferred spacing out the games if possible. In an apparent no-win situation replacing Derek Jeter, Gregorius became one of the team’s most popular players, arriving after back-to-back seasons falling short of the playoffs and helping the Yankees reach the postseason four times, while hitting .269 with 97 homers and 360 RBIs. I’ll believe that when I see it. You asked, and we answered in this week’s mailbag. This year in Philadelphia, his defensive metrics and underlying hitting numbers were fairly ghastly.”. Toward the end of a column yesterday suggesting that the Yankees trade Gio Urshela, we devoted a paragraph to Didi Gregorius: “One idea the Yankees should not and likely will not consider is bringing back Didi Gregorius to play short. New York Yankees shortstop Didi Gregorius jokes with teammates during batting practice for a baseball American League Championship Series in Houston, Friday, Oct. 11, 2019. Gregorius is among the most popular players in the Yankees clubhouse, which Jackson has gotten to witness firsthand being around the team throughout the season, starting in the spring. Do Not Sell My Personal Information, Your California Privacy Rights I don’t see why not,” Gregorius said. Gregorius signed a one-year, $14 million deal with the Philadelphia Phillies this year, and at 30 years old, he will be looking for a new team in 2021. A link has been posted to your Facebook feed. His hard hit percentage was in the eighth percentile. Both teams were off on 8/27, wouldn’t they each have preferred playing on 8/27 instead? But any commitment beyond that would seem to risk paying for his decline. He had a stellar 2020 season, hitting .284 with 10 … As for which pitchers Cashman may be targeting at the deadline, a better question may be which ones aren’t being targeted. And they won’t win it with a narrative, Hernández: Mookie Betts’ big plays keep the Dodgers on their feet, Dustin May doesn’t provide Walker Buehler moment, but other Dodgers deliver win, The Jenex Corporation Announces Board Change; Appointment of Advisory Board, Debt Settlement and Option Grants, Here’s what could drive Fire and Flower stock higher: Echelon, Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Devils rescind pay cuts to staff after backlash. “Cashman made it loud and clear that Cole was their priority,” Gregorius said Monday during a news conference at Citizens Bank Park in which the Phillies also unveiled their other prominent free-agent signing, former Mets pitcher Zack Wheeler. Gregorius was not extended the $17.8 million qualifying offer by the Yankees, Fast-moving Gerrit Cole talks now include 'mystery teams' competing with Yankees, Joe Girardi had his suspicions about Astros' sign stealing in 2017: 'I wasn't shocked', Mark Czerwinski, longtime sports writer, dies at 58, Football: Better conditioning leading to fewer injuries, Mahwah grad killed in shooting 'did everything full tilt', Male Athlete of the Week: Andy Bula, Passaic Valley, Girls soccer: Park Ridge wins, stays undefeated, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. Your California Privacy Rights Get ‘er done, Cashman. Last winter, the team viewed Gregorius as a winning player who had simply lost too much of his first-step quickness. His hard hit percentage was in the eighth percentile. He is not washed up. I wasn’t at my best, but I went out there and pushed and gave the best that I could.”, Buy Didi Gregorius Phillies gear: Fanatics, MLBShop.com, Lids, Dick’s Sporting Goods.