“It had nothing to do with falling out of love, we decided together we just probably are better as friends.“, Even still, there are times when Lovato thinks what if. I was not easy to work with,” she recalls of life post-treatment. Lovato reveals that her new, bigger purpose in life is to "inspire people," and "get people through their days and their problems". You go in, they fix you, and you're out. Below, Us Weekly recaps the 12 most eye-opening revelations from Lovato’s intimate and heartfelt film. You really have to surrender because that’s when the change is going to happen.”, 8. [19], Demi Lovato: Stay Strong commences with fans shouting Lovato's first name, while waiting for her to arrive at the Fox Theatre in Detroit where she is about to perform on November 16, 2011. The acoustic "Skyscraper" rendition at Timberline Knolls flows into a piano-driven performance of the song at a concert venue and Lovato is seen going into the crowd. She was severely bullied in school.“When I was 12, I was bullied. I think it was love at first sight, we connected on a level that I’ve never connected with anybody before, he was just my rock, my everything.”. Here are the six most revealing moments from Simply Complicated: From the opening scene of the film, Lovato reveals she was doing cocaine for the majority of filming her last documentary, Stay Strong. [27] "I've decided to tell my story because there are a lot of young teens, girls and boys, that are dealing with the same issues that I've been through. And like I still love Wilmer,” she shared. Wondering what it would be like to have a funeral. I struggle. It premiered on March 6, 2012 on MTV. [20] Lovato starts reflecting on the rough road that led her to self-harm and addiction, while scenes of Lovato getting ready for her performance in the dressing room are interwoven featuring a short cameo appearance from her former manager Phil McIntyre. Shortly after, Lovato's home in Los Angeles is shown where she is seen hugging her mother Dianna De La Garza, whereas Lovato's half-sister Madison De La Garza is also featured. Directed by Hannah Lux Davis, the 78-minute film also revisits Lovato’s ups and downs of her road to recovery and sobriety from the first-person point of view in addition to confessionals from members of her inner circle, including longtime friends Nick and Joe Jonas. The gym is her escape.Working out regularly has helped Lovato stay positive and clear her mind. She will always love her ex-boyfriend Wilmer Valderrama.Lovato opened up about her on-and-off relationship with her longtime love. Demi Lovato: Stay Strong is a 2012 documentary film about American singer Demi Lovato which follows her recovery after leaving rehab and her return to the music industry after abruptly cancelling her tour with the Jonas Brothers, putting her career on a hiatus in order to seek treatment. “I think my heart is always with Wilmer, I think it was with Wilmer, I think it is with Wilmer, I think it will be. I remember thinking in my head that I felt a little bit of pride about it, like selfishly maybe I was like, ‘I’m helping her back into coming back to being the Demi we all know and love. She struggles with her body image and has an eating disorder.“I would bake cookies for my family and I would eat all of them and nobody would have any to eat. 7. Lovato agreed to seek help and took "full responsibility" for the incident. [21] Some interviewed fans express what they think about Lovato's recovery and how she is an inspiration to them, while praising her strength. [28], After the documentary film was premiered, Lovato immediately appeared on Demi Lovato: Stay Strong — The After Show in order to react to her documentary and do a special question-and-answer session. [1] The documentary depicts her reflecting on her road to recovery, addressing several of her emotional and physical issues, celebrating Thanksgiving with her family in 2011 and returning for the first time to the treatment facility she retreated to back in 2010. [3], Several years later in her YouTube documentary about her life and career, Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated (2017), Lovato admitted to being dishonest about the outcome of her initial treatment in Demi Lovato: Stay Strong, and also revealed that she was in fact under the influence of cocaine while being interviewed about her sobriety for the documentary film. The star relates to her Lovatics fandom when she talks about first-date jitters and playing mind games and power plays with crushes over text. And I was so drunk that I threw up in the back of the car service on the way to the airport to perform on American Idol. I thought ‘I have to have him,’ but I was only 17 and he was like, ‘Get away from me,'” she jokes, though she adds: “When I turned 18 we started dating. [29], The after show also featured some unaired extra footage. She dates both men and women.Love is love! She’s not going to do anything crazy, it’s going to be fine.’”, 4. I was manic. If you or someone you know is struggling with substance abuse, contact the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357). “Anytime I’m able to take my mind off of any of my addictions, it’s very beneficial to me. The documentary depicts her reflecting on her road to recovery, addressing several of her emotional and physical issues, celebrating Thanksgivingwith her family in 2011 and returning for the ver… Part of the A360 Media Entertainment Group. The Grammy nominee has been vocal about her struggles with addiction, receiving inpatient treatment for the first time in 2011 after punching her backup dancer Alex “Shorty” Welch, who outed her for using Adderall during the Colombian leg of the Camp Rock 2 Tour. October 17, 2017 – “Simply Complicated,” Demi Lovato’s auto-biographical documentary comes out and includes thoughtful interviews about her struggles with drug abuse, her challenges in … [23][24] Sitting in front of the piano on stage, Lovato expresses how thankful she is to be there, "because not long ago I was in a treatment facility" and she "was so scared and was so alone but I had you guys [the fans] by my side". She was living two lives. “I was depressed at a very, very young age. 1 Album on Billboard 200", "Demi Lovato Tweets About New Special, 'Stay Strong,' Airing March 6 On MTV", "Demi Lovato NY, LA Shows Sell Out in Minutes", "Demi Lovato Recalls Entering Rehab In 'Stay Strong, "Demi Lovato Previews New Eating Disorder Documentary On 'Today' Show (VIDEO)", "Demi Lovato 'Stay Strong': Inside 'The After Show, "Demi Lovato Talks Tattoos In 'Stay Strong' Bonus Clip", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Demi_Lovato:_Stay_Strong&oldid=983496708, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 14 October 2020, at 15:31. She had suicidal thoughts at a very young age. I get envious towards people who don’t struggle with an eating disorder because I think my life would be so much easier.”, “I Am on a Dating App with Both Men and Girls”. “The less I have to think about food, the easier it is to go about having a normal life and I don’t want to let anybody down so when I do have moments when I slip up, I feel very ashamed. [21], The cameras follow her home where she spends her first Thanksgiving out of treatment and Lovato explains how her eating disorder had developed. ", "Demi Lovato to participate in live Q&A Tuesday on MTV", "Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated - Official Documentary", "The 10 Most Honest Confessions From Demi Lovato's 'Simply Complicated' YouTube Documentary", "Demi Lovato Talks About Casual Sex and Cocaine Addiction in Her Revealing 'Simply Complicated, "Demi Lovato's Childhood Bullies Were So Intense They Petitioned for Her Suicide", "Demi Lovato Interview: Teen Star Opens Up on Bulimia, Cutting Issues", "Demi Lovato Still Has "Nightmares" About the Childhood Bullying She Endured", "Demi Lovato Enters Treatment Center for 'Issues, "Demi Lovato Admits: I Would 'Smuggle' Cocaine On Airplanes (Exclusive)", "Demi Lovato Is Leaving Sonny with a Chance", "Tony Bennett, 85, Achieves First No. The show, hosted by MTV's SuChin Pak, was broadcast live from the MTV Studios in Times Square. “I felt out of control the first time I did it. [25] Lovato recalls on her way to Timberline Knolls, "The first time that I walked into Timberline Knolls, I sat there to eat my first meal, and it was chicken, rice, vegetables and milk, and I took like two or three bites of the chicken and was like 'OK, I'm done'."