Please try again. Something went wrong. Too much political maneuvering, to my taste. --This text refers to the paperback edition. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Reviewed in the United States on January 21, 2019. by Saint Martin's Press. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. The main character Stella Marz is a tarnished gem, but I admire her guts. The spine may show signs of wear. It's crimes were rather graphic. In Steelton, a struggling Midwestern city on the cusp of an economic turnaround, two prominent men are found dead within days of each other. Neither is clearly murder, but the circumstances are horrific and unusual, involving heroin and kinky sex. As the case becomes heavily related to a certain mega drug dealer, Stella realizes she has no one she can trust, she's in danger of becoming the sixth victim and her thoughts are jumbled and confusing. In Dark Lady, Richard North Patterson displays the mastery of setting, psychology, and story that makes him unique among writers of suspense, and one of today's most original and enthralling novelists. Only our second RN Patterson novel, we agree with the many readers who found aptly titled “Dark Lady” really dark, detailed, and often boring. Those familiar with the TV series The Wire will remember that each season was about a civic issue that effected the lives of the characters and everyone in town, such as the drug trade, education, and similar issues. Slow in parts, and nothing too surprising. You have to be stubborn to finish this book, Reviewed in the United States on April 29, 2000. Reviewed in the United States on January 2, 2020. plot is very complicaated and I never figured it out. While it is basically a crime thriller, it is overloaded with politics and political corruption, as the building of a new baseball stadium and the ambitions of everyone associated with that tend to overwhelm the plot to solve two bizarre murders. Too much bad language, description of sex with whores, gay men, bad cops. and none of the other books have been like this one, Reviewed in the United States on November 24, 2014. October 17, 2020: Biblio is open and shipping orders. --This text refers to the, Patterson (Degree of Guilt; No Safe Place) has advanced considerably from his earlier, rather glib commercial thrillers. A Catholic third generation Polish American who had to break with her family to go to college and live the life of an ambitious prosecutor, she has slowly learned how to maneuver in the murky world of politics, where eve. Take a stab at guessing and be entered to win a $50 Biblio gift certificate! To get started finding Dark Lady Richard North Patterson , you are right to find our website which has a comprehensive collection of manuals listed. When life throws a major curveball, Ava decides it’s time for a new plan, to start over and learn to live again. Please try again. ... (1998), and Dark Lady (1999) all became immediate international bestsellers, and in 2011 Silent Witness became a feature film on TNT.
I will continue to read his books, but will explore them further before I do! She (except when it came to her rescued kitty) had no quirks, at least none that engaged me, and her backstory (which centered on her family's dynamics) just wasn't that interesting. Now Stella Marz stares at the body of her former lover, hanging from a doorway in a gruesome tableau. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. Mr North Patterson is such a gifted writer, I hardly want to put my own words here. All very distrustful , especially after reading Patterson's other books. Deadly Stillwater: A gripping crime thriller (Mac McRyan Mystery Thriller and Suspe... A Ghoulish Midlife: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Novel (Witching After Forty Book 1), The Borman Factor: Suspense Thriller (A Nick Borman Novel Book 1). The author loses the grip on the story completely & stutters towards a crippled finale. . Something went wrong. But I have to see it through.". Our library is the biggest of these that have literally hundreds of thousands of different products represented. To see what your friends thought of this book, Solid research add details to the plot of 'Dark Lady' which equal a good story and strong characters, who are very believable. A young mother tries a revolutionary PTSD therapy, only to find herself—and her family—in danger. She has personal demons to overcome: a wretchedly unhappy childhood, an unwise affair in her youth with a flashy lawyer who became the drug king's mouthpiece. (Literary Guild main selection) --. I liked the political part of it--sounds like our newspaper:), but I had to keep going back to the menu to make sure I was in the right book! Jack was once Stella's lover--and he was also one of Bright's largest contributors. Many of his earlier novels were first rate, but this is not one of them. Hardcover. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. Steelton, a struggling midwestern town trying to save its decaying inner city by building a major league baseball stadium. Analyzes the dirty politics, business and conflicts of interests that surrounds the construction of a stadium, in the name city development.

He and his wife, Laurie, live with their family in San Francisco and on Martha's Vineyard. Patterson's attempt to go beyond commercial formulas to create real, contemporary American drama is admirable, but somewhat undermined by, for example, a reader's realization that a character with an adorable small daughter cannot, in the nature of Patterson's fiction, be a villain.

I honestly gave this book a chance, reading up to the second section titled Jack Novak, a drug lawyer who was murdered. Richard North Patterson is the author of fourteen previous bestselling and critically acclaimed novels.

Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Assistant County Prosecutor Stella Marz discovers that her current and former bosses both had something to hide and all is political as current boss, County Prosector Bright, is determined to run for mayor with Stella to replace him. Another old one (copyright 1999) pulled from my shelves though I mostly read the Kindle version and even listened to a bit of the book via Overdrive.
Read more here. Good. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. I had to be with her through to the end - you know, moral support. His world now seems much more somber, his characters more ridden with real-world angst; only a tendency to melodramatic flourishes and a certain narrative slickness suggest the pop writer he once was. He lives in San Francisco and on Martha’s Vineyard. Did you know that since 2004, Biblio has used its profits to build 16 public libraries in rural villages of South America? In Steelton, a struggling Midwestern city on the cusp of an economic turnaround, two prominent men are found dead within days of each other. Richard North Patterson studied fiction writing with Jesse Hill Ford at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Please try again. I was more afraid for Stella and her bulldog ways of fighting for justice because the author wrote the book that pulls the reader into the story and makes them feel as if they're there. Dark Lady is his signature work. This seller has earned a 3 of 5 Stars rating from Biblio customers. More By and About This Author. The plot was interesting; although I was sad to read about the corruption in all aspects of local/state/federal government. Be the first to ask a question about Dark Lady. Patterson lives with his wife, Laurie, and their family in San Francisco and on Martha's Vineyard. Read the rules here. Please try your request again later. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Visit Amazon's Richard North Patterson Page, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. These promotions will be applied to this item: Some promotions may be combined; others are not eligible to be combined with other offers. The stadium seems to be good for the city and its suffering minority workers, but who really stands to gain?

There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Additional gift options are available when buying one eBook at a time.