Note: GP = Games played, W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, Pts = Points, GF = Goals for, GA = Goals against, PIM = Penalties in minutes, These are the top ten scorers for the franchise, including its time in Cleveland. The thread isn’t up yet, but if you go to https://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/the-history-of-hockey.126/ you’ll find my thread there on Sunday.

The merged team continued as the Minnesota North Stars under the Gunds' ownership, but assumed the Barons' place in the Adams Division. Based in Oakland, California, they played their home games at the Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum Arena. Feb 16, CGS (9-36) tied with DET, 2-2, 67. Hi everyone! Become a Stathead & surf this site ad-free. I listened to every game I could on the east coast teams’ radio stations, staying up until 1 a.m. on a school night huddled with the radio next to my bed for games from Oakland. Best goals-against average by a goaltender, Most shutouts by a goaltender, Gary Smith (4 in 1968-69) and, Fred Glover, 1972–74 (resigned in February 1974), Garry Young, 1974 - given title of Director of Hockey Operations due to NHL ownership of club (resigned before start of 1974–75 season).

And for all of you sumo fans out there, and I know there are dozens of you out there, you will definitely want to check out the first hockey-sumo crossover in NHL history. Years after the Barons-North Stars merger, the Gunds wanted to bring hockey back to the Bay Area. In 1969-70, Saturday and Sunday games were broadcast by KGO radio.
WOW! Hi everyone! I remember one day finding in my basement among a bunch of old Esso album stickers a package of 17 team logo cards from that set (I was missing Vancouver for some reason). League approval for the move was granted on July 14, 1976, and the team was renamed Cleveland Barons after the city's old AHL squad.

The winner of the contest will be named next Friday, October 9, so get writing, folks! That's great! League Search Page-> NHL-> 1967-68-> Oakland Seals-> Roster & Statistics. [9] In return, the North Stars would be allowed to participate as an equal partner in an expansion draft with the new franchise. California Seals all-time player list.

Hi everyone! Although attendance was finally showing some improvement and the team playing better, minority owners George and Gordon Gund persuaded Swig to seek approval to move the team to their hometown of Cleveland. The Cleveland Barons remain the most recent team in an established North American major professional league to fold, as well as the only team in the NHL to do so since 1942. I’m not a Leafs fan, so I don’t know the feeling myself, but I do like mocking Leafs fans, so I know how I want Leafs fans to feel, and I imagine it isn’t pleasant. The NHL awarded an expansion team to Barry Van Gerbig for the San Francisco Bay area. Hope you made it all the way through.

The contest will remain open until October 9, on which day the winner will be announced.

In 1970-71, Roy Storey[21][22] worked play-by-play on KEEN radio while Rick Weaver called 10 games on KTVU. The Knoxes bought a minority share of the Seals in 1969, only to sell it a year later to fund the Sabres.[3]. All you have to do is write me an e-mail at stevecurrier@goldensealshockey.com or here at Contact Steve and explain, in 100 words or less, why YOU are the biggest, most dedicated California Golden Seals fan. Finley also was the first owner to allow players to fly first class on commercial flights to games.

Jan 14, CGS (8-24) tied with CBH, 6-6, 43. In 1966, the NHL announced that six expansion teams would be added as a new division for the 1967–68 season, officially because of a general desire to expand the league to new markets, but also to squelch the Western Hockey League's threat to turn into a major league. Join our linker program. Players on this team's active roster in bold. Charlie Simmer was still active with the IHL's San Diego Gulls until 1992.

[17], In 1967-68, KTVU 2 televised 12 games with Tim Ryan[18][19] on play-by-play. Leagues-> NHL-> California Seals-> All-time list. [16] In 2006, Brad Kurtzberg published the first book on the Seals franchise, Shorthanded: The Untold Story of the Seals: Hockey's Most Colorful Team.

Eventually, a compromise was struck whereby the Gunds would sell their share of the North Stars to Baldwin's group, with the Gunds receiving an expansion team in the Bay Area to begin play in the 1991-92 season.

He decided to move the team across the Bay from the Cow Palace in Daly City to Oakland to play in the new Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum Arena. As we’re down to just one Canadian team, here’s hoping Vancouver can continue their string of good luck and great performances and bring Stanley back home.

You’ll have to check out Tiger’s not-so-classic 1976-77 O-Pee-Chee card right here to find out what I mean. Do you have a sports website?

That first season did not go well for the poor Caps, as they won just one road game (against the Seals) and finished the campaign dead last at 8-67-5. Jim Gordon, Bill Schonely and Bill McColgan each did play-by-play alone on multiple games.