You must have a goodreads account to vote. Lists are re-scored approximately every 5 minutes. I was a biracial child in the 1980s. 1. When all forms of creativity are banned, it doesn't stop 17-year-old Ellie Baker from running a secret illegal library. This is exceedingly important for young Black girls to see, since most go through some type of hair identity crisis during their lives. These are some of the new books by black women authors we're most excited about. Thank you for signing up! And they’re there when their Grandmother’s church blows up. Told in dual narratives, Acevedo returns with a powerful and emotional story that's both heartbreaking and hopeful. All products featured on Vogue are independently selected by our editors. Johnson writes an adorable queer rom-com that will leave you in joyful spirits. California residents can opt out of "sales" of personal data. With a unique premise that parallels our current climate of systemic racism, Morrow knocks this one out of the park. She will not be deterred from her goal either, no matter how much teasing she has to face from those around her. Sulwe is a dark-skinned little girl who yearns to be beautiful like her lighter sisters. So, some of the books I mention will include biracial children so that they too can see someone like them in the pictures they look at. But as Afua Hirsch for Time magazine wrote: "This book is so much more.". It just took a lot of work to find them. Moving from North Carolina to New York City to stay with her aunt, multi-talented Celeste experiences all aspects of the Harlem Resistance. Emotional and enlightening, you're not going to want to miss this one. Book Riot has even showcased articles about this, focusing on. This list of Black children’s books by Black authors are ones which you may want to get for the kiddos in your life. It’s always wonderful when you know the author personally – it is as though you can hear them telling you the story. Authors. It just took a lot of work to find them. Lansdowne Dearest: My family’s story of forced removals by Bronwyn Davids. With impressive world-building and action-packed plot, Ireland knocks this one out of the park. I think my parents realized this early on and tried to make up for it the best they could. There is beautiful but selfish Manyara and kind Nyasha. © 2020 Independent Online and affiliated companies. The seriousness of the situation of growing up in apartheid South Africa intermingled with his humour makes this a pleasurable read. The affair sours; he is denounced and summoned before a committee of inquiry. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission. 23 Phenomenal Young Adult Books By Black Authors From The First Half Of 2020 We're almost halfway through 2020, and one of the good things that has come from it are these YA books… You're going to have trouble putting this one down once you begin reading. Ad Choices. This is a mix of current and older titles. This one is a winner all around. But things don't go as planned, leaving Jane to question everything she thought she knew. The titular character in this early reader novel can’t wait for summer to start. Woodfolk pens a poignant and relatable story about friendships growing apart. Get it from Bookshop for $17.47, Barnes and Noble for $18.99, or from a local bookstore through Indiebound here. © 2020 Condé Nast. Throughout the book, Misty encourages her to reach new heights by having faith in herself so that she can reach her full potential. Obsessed with travel? It is an epic tale with a triumphant ending that would scarcely have been credible just a few years ago: from a traditional Tembu childhood, through political activism, the founding of the ANC, life imprisonment for treason and violent conspiracy, 27 years behind bars, to release in 1990 and the first multi-racial elections in 1994.