I needed to join the Navy. Source: National Baseball Hall of Fame Website (Craig Muder, 'Whiten's two home runs lead Team Feller past Team Killebrew at Hall of Fame Classic', 06/20/2010), "Everyday is a new opportunity. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is. Sometimes I threw the ball clean up into the stands. They had three sons, Steve (b. - National Baseball Hall of Fame (Source), "(Bob) Feller isn't quite as fast as I was." If you believe your catcher is intelligent and you know that he has considerable experience, it is a good thing to leave the game almost entirely in his hands. Heroes don’t come back. He led the American League in strikeouts seven times and had 200 or more strikeouts five times. Survivors return home. People have called me a hero for that, but I'll tell you this - heroes don't come home. While other players waited until spring training to get in shape, Feller had the time to do push-ups, sit-ups, calisthenics and stretching, following a rigorous regimen. If you ask the people in Europe who won World War II, they don't say the Allies, they say the United States won the war and saved the world. Feller was born and raised in Van Meter, Iowa. You can talk about teamwork on a baseball team, but I'll tell you, it takes teamwork when you have 2,900 men stationed on the U.S.S. He had 46 shutouts during his career with 10 of those in 1946. Survivors come home. His sister Marguerite played for the girls' basketball team, and was the Iowa state ping-pong champion. I would rather beat the Yankees regularly than pitch a no hit game. He still holds the 20th century record for most walks in a season (208 in 1938). Sometimes I threw the ball clean up into the stands." Interview with Mary Buckheit, www.espn.com. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is. If you believe your catcher is intelligent and you know that he has considerable experience, it is a good thing to leave the game almost entirely in his hands. "Every day is a new opportunity. The fireballer authored three no-hitters and 12 one-hitters while winning 20 or more games six times." Nobody lives forever and I've had a blessed life. It's one of those cases where more is not necessarily better. Join; Authors; Topics; Movies; TV Shows ; Search. Many baseball historians have speculated that Feller would have won perhaps 350 games with well over 3,000 strikeouts had he not joined the military. Baseball; Teamwork; Team; Cooperstown is the greatest place on Earth. 2007. Bob Feller Quotes. Improve yourself, find your inspiration, share with friends. Bob Feller was honored alongside the retired numbers of the Cleveland Indians in 1957.