Ortega, Jung make weight for UFC Fight Night, McGregor says he will fight Poirier on Jan. 23, Sources: Calvillo tests positive, out of UFC 254, Freire to head return of Bellator featherweight GP, Sources: Viral KO star Buckley set for UFC 255, Gane-Delija fight off due to contract dispute, White: Yan vs. Sterling in works for UFC 256, Helwani: It's never easy with Conor McGregor and the UFC, but end result is always worth it, Inside the turbulent journey to Brian Ortega vs. Chan Sung Jung, The two lives of Brian Ortega: From menacing streets to UFC stardom, Cyborg chokes out Blencowe, retains Bellator title, The UFC's best nicknames and the stories behind them, Why UFC lightweight champ Khabib Nurmagomedov doesn't expect to ever face Tony Ferguson, UFC fighters react to Joaquin Buckley's spectacular KO of Impa Kasanganay on 'Fight Island', MMA, boxing and wrestling are all facing a major issue: a cracked combat sports pipeline. Personally, I have a sneaking suspicion that some of those more grueling moments in One FC changed Ben for the worse and softened him up a little before coming to the UFC, which was a mixed bag for the MMA fighter.

Following a win over Lawler, Askren was close to a UFC welterweight title shot. He has never sported a pair of Lonsdale Slip-ons, contrary to reports. The Funky one was in contention for a title shot prior to the Masvidal defeat and hoped to rebound with victory against Maia in October. Askren announces retirement from MMA (2:10), Askren retires, says he needs hip replacement, UFC Fight Night Brian Ortega vs. Chan Sung Jung: Live updates and results. VLOG 28 up now! He put an absolute wrestling clinic against Lyman, controlling him for five rounds and landing light ground and pound.

After an accomplished amateur wrestling career, Askren went on to become Bellator Welterweight Champion and successfully defended his time four times in a row. On paper, it looks like Ben's recent losses, coupled with his very vocal preferences for wrestling over MMA, must mean that he's lost his taste for the sport. Topics: Ben Askren, UFC News, MMA News, UFC, MMA. "My feelings," he said, "are very, very mixed. Not much is known about how much he made for his seven bouts in One FC, which must've been a pretty penny considering his high payouts for his UFC fights.

Askren's legacy includes a legendary amateur wrestling career and an impressive résumé in MMA. Askren officially announced his retirement to ESPN. "I'm retiring from the sport of MMA," Askren said on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show on ESPN. I'm a really busy guy. Askren retired in 2017, but came out of retirement for a chance to fight in the UFC. Jorge Masvidal has been out-wrestled in the past by the likes of Demian Maia, but had built some momentum after a stunning knockout of a very game Darren Till (who was way bigger than Jorge). Ever a controversial figure, Ben received nothing but respect from fellow Mixed Martial artists who showed love to the grappler after his announcement.

Ben Askren has elected to retire from the mixed martial arts. Prior to the trade, Askren had retired from ONE after a 57-second TKO win over Shinya Aoki on Nov. 24, 2017. "Frankly, I'm retiring from everything.". Askren was born on July 18, 1984, in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. Jorge nearly took Ben's head off and scored the fastest knockout in UFC history: 4 seconds. Glad we got to see him in the UFC, even if it was late. He made a winning debut for Dana White's promotion when he beat former UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler at UFC 235 but was halted in his tracks in his next bout when Masvidal produced a stunning flying knee just five seconds into their UFC 239 clash. Now, after suffering his second straight loss on Saturday, the 35-year-old isn't sure if he will continue that pursuit.

"The only thing I came back for was to try to prove I was the best in the world," he said. And I want that to be said out there.". I’m retiring from the sport of MMA and frankly I’m retired from everything. Stay on current site or go to US version. Askren, who said he's had hip issues for the past "3-5 years-ish," was coming off back-to-back losses, the most recent to Demian Maia in the main event of UFC Singapore on Oct. 26. Fox's Relationship Status Is Complicated, Don't Confuse DC Superheroes Static and Black Lightning, Justin Bieber Can’t Vote, So He Wants You to Vote on His Behalf, "The Korean Zombie" Earned His Nickname From His Exciting Fighting Style. Ben Askren announced his retirement Monday, just a little more than a year after joining the UFC with considerable fanfare. He did really well in the fight, actually showing off some decent stand-up against the Brazilian and scoring multiple takedowns against him, but ultimately succumbed to a rear-naked choke to the jiu-jitsu ace. And the main event was a title fight between Ben Askren and Lyman Good. Biography. In his UFC debut, Askren defeated Robbie Lawler. Perhaps more important than his victories was his ability to connect with the fan base and show class in defeat. He joined the UFC a little more than a year ago as a high-profile signing in a trade with the ONE Championship fighting league in exchange for fighter Demetrious Johnson. When I got the opportunity in 2018, I took it, but I was already in retirement. "I lost because I wasn't good enough, plain and simple, my opponents beat me, they were better than me. Ben Askren Reveals He Has Retired From MMA. Last updated 7:01 PM, Monday November 18 2019 GMT. The UFC agreed to release Johnson, who came to his own new deal with ONE. Askren held Bellator's welterweight title from 2010 to 2013 and went on to become ONE welterweight champion from 2014 to 2017. Ben seemed to take it rather well and had another fight on the calendar soon after: against fellow grappler Demian Maia. Askren retired in 2017, but came out of retirement for a chance to fight in the UFC. Ben Askren announces his retirement from mixed martial arts after finding out he needs hip replacement surgery. The UFC acquired Askren as part of an unprecedented trade with ONE Championship in October 2018. It wasn't a traditional trade like what would be common in team sports. Many MMA fans thought that Ben would transition to the Octagon from Bellator sooner than later, but it just didn't happen. 2010. See it all by using link in bio, A post shared by Ben Askren (@benaskren) on Oct 23, 2019 at 7:25pm PDT.

I loved that he was so good at one aspect of martial arts and that someone as talented and intimidating as Lyman Good couldn't do anything about it. Joe Gomez's Reaction To Richarlison's Horror Tackle On Thiago Alcantara, Bruno Fernandes Finally Misses A Penalty For Manchester United, Virgil van Dijk Has Reportedly Ruptured His ACL, Could Be Sidelined For 7-8 Months. He came out of retirement to make his UFC debut in March, choking out Robbie Lawler, but in July fell victim to the fastest knockout in the promotion's history, finished in five seconds by Jorge Masvidal. The 35-year old, who has suffered consecutive brutal defeats in the UFC at the hands of Jorge Masvidal and Demian Maia, revealed the news on Ariel Helwani's MMA show this evening - citing his need for a hip replacement as a key reason in his decision. Had a fun food tour for VLOG 30!! Bellator put on an amazing live show and I was there with MMA journalism creds. (2:10). Prior to the trade, Askren had retired from ONE after a 57-second TKO win over Shinya Aoki on Nov. 24, 2017. "I'm retired from the sport of mixed martial arts and frankly, I'm retired from everything. Even after the setback, though, he thought a win over Maia would put him back on track toward his goal. Prior to the trade, Askren had retired from ONE after a 57-second TKO win over Shinya Aoki on Nov. 24, 2017. Not too shabby, as a matter of fact. "I got really emotional the other day because I started thinking about all the great experiences I've had, and how lucky I've been to have the amount of success I've had," Askren said. Last updated 7:01 PM, Monday November 18 2019 GMT. 2010. "I would be lying to you if I said I was not. His victory in Philadelphia, although it garnered a ton of boos from audiences, was a spectacle. "I'm retiring from the sport of mixed martial arts, and frankly, I'm retiring from everything,". UFC Fight Night viewers guide: In long-awaited return, will Brian Ortega be better than ever?

Bellator put on an amazing live show and I was there with MMA journalism creds. While his opponents in One FC were landing heavy shots on his noggin, Ben was content to just take them down and put on a grappling clinic.