[46][47], "Baby, Please Don't Go" is recognized as a blues standard, including by French blues historian Gérard Herzhaft [fr], who described it as "one of the most played, arranged, and rearranged pieces in blues history". "[32] Evans describes the reaction: As soon as his vocals are about to begin he comes out from behind the drums dressed as a schoolgirl. This version did not reach the Billboard Race Records chart,[12] but represents a move toward a more urban blues treatment of the song. And it was like a bomb went off in the joint; it was pandemonium, everybody broke out in laughter. [20] With the B-side, "Gloria", it became their first hit, reaching number ten on the UK Singles Chart in February 1965. Scrobbling is when Last.fm tracks the music you listen to and automatically adds it to your music profile. [24][g] Them's blues rock arrangement is "now regarded justly as definitive", according to music writer Alan Clayson. Many cover versions followed, leading to its description as "one of the most played, arranged, and rearranged pieces in blues history" by French music historian Gérard Herzhaft.[1]. By the early 1950s, the song became a blues standard. Directed by Michael McDonald. [1] The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame included Big Joe Williams' rendition in list of "500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll". He recorded it during his first session for Lester Melrose and Bluebird Records in Chicago. You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. Copyright: Writer(s): William Lee Conley Broonzy Lyrics Terms of Use, Baby, please don't go [3] AllMusic's Janovitz describes recordings in a variety of styles and notes "Sure, some guitarists like Angus Young and Ted Nugent have offered slick and fancy licks over breakneck tempos in their versions, but the song remains the same, to quote a phrase"[18], The sheet music includes a 1944 copyright date, indicating a later version of the song, Music historian Larry Birbaum suggested that the Orioles' 1951 version inspired, Muddy Waters' original Chess single lists the songwriters as "Strutt, Alexander", although reissues credit "McKinley Morganfield" (his legal name).

Before I be your dog Week-by-week music charts, peak chart positions and airplay stats. [27] Van Morrison also accompanied John Lee Hooker during a 1992 performance, where Hooker sings and plays "Baby, Please Don't Go" on guitar while sitting on a dock, with harmonica backing by Morrison; it was released on the 2004 Come See About Me Hooker DVD. Check out our picks for family friendly movies movies that transcend all ages. (02 May 2016). With Billy Gardell, Melissa McCarthy, Reno Wilson, Katy Mixon. Aerosmith recorded "Baby, Please Don't Go" for their blues cover album, Honkin' on Bobo, which was released on March 30, 2004. Big Joe Williams' various recordings inspired other blues musicians to record their interpretations of the song[13] and it became a blues standard. [44] A music video, directed by Mark Haefeli, was produced to promote the single. [4] However, Johnson, who was married to jazz-influenced blues guitarist Lonnie Johnson, never recorded it and her song is not discussed as influencing later performers. [32] The video from the Countdown show is included on 2005's Family Jewels DVD compilation. Label: Parrot - 45 PAR 9727 • Format: Vinyl 7 Them - Baby Please Don't Go (1965, Vinyl) | Discogs In 1947, he recorded it for Columbia Records with Williamson and Ransom Knowling on bass and Judge Riley on drums. [36] Albert Productions issued it as the single's B-side. You had the shackles on; baby, please don't go, Before I be your dog Baby, Please Don't Go

"Baby, Please Don't Go" is likely an adaptation of "Long John", an old folk theme which dates back to the time of slavery in the United States. He was a major inspiration for the British blues explosion in the 1960s, and was ranked No. Some user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Baby, please don't go down to New Orleans [3], Big Joe Williams used the imprisonment theme for his October 31, 1935, recording of "Baby, Please Don't Go".   Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. [33] In November 1974, Angus Young, Malcolm Young, and Bon Scott recorded it for their 1975 Australian debut album, High Voltage. Do you know any background info about this track? For even more, visit our Family Entertainment Guide. Before I be your dog

Before I be your dog to get you way down here High Voltage and a single with "Baby, Please Don't Go" were released simultaneously in Australia in February 1975. [6] The lyrics express a prisoner's anxiety about his lover leaving before he returns home:[8], Now baby please don't go, now baby please don't go [31] Although they have expressed their interest and inspiration in early blues songs,[32] music writer Mick Wall identifies Them's adaptation of the song as the likely source. The song became a hit and established Williams' recording career. Before I be your dog to get you way down here

Oh, baby, please don't go A new version of Last.fm is available, to keep everything running smoothly, please reload the site. [28] The song was not included on Them's original British or American albums (The Angry Young Them and Them Again), however, it has appeared on several compilation albums, such as The Story of Them Featuring Van Morrison and The Best of Van Morrison. [19][e] Hooker's song later appeared on a 1959 album, Highway of Blues, which Van Morrison heard and felt was "something really unique and different" with "more soul" than he had previously heard. Looking for a movie the entire family can enjoy? Subsequently, Them's uptempo rock arrangement also made it a rock standard. Baby, please don't go Baby, please don't go Baby, please don't go down to New Orleans You know I love you, so, baby, please don't go. View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 1965 Vinyl release of Baby Please Don't Go on Discogs. [19], Them recorded "Baby, Please Don't Go" for Decca Records in October 1964. [14] By the early 1950s, the song was reworked in contemporary musical styles, with an early rhythm and blues/jump blues version by Billy Wright (1951),[1] a harmonized doo-wop version by the Orioles (a number eight R&B hit in 1952),[c] and an Afro-Cuban-influenced rendition by Rose Mitchell (1954). [40] Although "Baby, Please Don't Go" was a popular part of AC/DC's performances (often as the closing number), the song was not released internationally until their 1984 compilation EP '74 Jailbreak. [30], "Baby, Please Don't Go" was a feature of AC/DC's live shows since their beginning. Molly meets up with a former student who is pregnant and living on the street, so she invited her home. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. To enjoy Prime Music, go to Your Music Library and transfer your account to Amazon.com (US). [41] Billboard magazine describes the song as "the kind of straight-ahead, hard-driving track that always typified the band's [1970s] records". In 1953, Muddy Waters recorded the song as an electric Chicago-ensemble blues piece, which influenced many subsequent renditions. Become A Better Singer In Only 30 Days, With Easy Video Lessons! With Billy Gardell, Melissa McCarthy, Reno Wilson, Katy Mixon. I believe there's a man done gone, I believe there's a man done gone

(0 fans), McKinley Morganfield (April 4, 1913 – April 30, 1983), known as Muddy Waters, was an American blues musician, generally considered the "father of modern Chicago blues". Hot Dog. [11] Since both songs appeared before recording industry publications began tracking such releases, it is unknown which version was more popular. I'll make you walk alone; baby, please don't go, hey, Before I be your dog

It was first released on Reprise Records in 1964 and was a minor regional hit. [32] Tony Currenti is sometimes identified as the drummer for the song, although he suggests that it had been already recorded by Peter Clack. [6][b] As with many Delta blues songs of the era, it remains on the tonic chord (I) throughout without the progression to the subdominant (IV) or dominant (V) chords. Get instant explanation for any lyrics that hits you anywhere on the web!   Get instant explanation for any acronym or abbreviation that hits you anywhere on the web! more », Sheet Music  [45] Subsequently, the song has become a staple of the band's concert repertoire. Baby, please don't go

[34] Wall notes that producer George Young played bass for most of the album,[33] although Rob Bailey claims that many of the album's tracks were recorded with him.[35]. Baby Please Don't Go. You know I love you, so, baby, please don't go, Baby, your mind done gone Before I be your dog Before I be your dog Playlist. [40] Rudd laughs throughout the performance. Live versions appear on Muddy Waters at Newport 1960 and on Live at the Checkerboard Lounge, Chicago 1981 with members of the Rolling Stones. Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? Hey, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away! [22] Morrison has acknowledged Page's participation in the early sessions: "He played rhythm guitar on one thing and doubled a bass riff on the other"[23] and Morrison biographer Johnny Rogan notes that Page "doubled the distinctive riff already worked out by Billy Harrison". [1] Blues researcher Paul Garon notes that the melody is based on "Alabamy Bound", composed by Tin Pan Alley writer Ray Henderson, with lyrics by Buddy DeSylva and Bud Green in 1925. [35][h] AllMusic critic Eduardo Rivadavia called the song "positively explosive". Which I really enjoyed, we should have its bookend. Beginning about 1:22 in Them's recording, bassy-sounding riffs appear. Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website. "[43] It was the first single to be released from the album and reached number seven on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. You know I love you, so, baby, please don't go yeah, Before I be your dog DBEATLS. Check out some of the IMDb editors' favorites movies and shows to round out your Watchlist. [16] Chess Records originally issued the single with the title "Turn the Lamp Down Low", although the song is also referred to as "Turn Your Lamp Down Low",[3] "Turn Your Light Down Low",[14] or "Baby Please Don't Go".

Your Amazon Music account is currently associated with a different marketplace. Well, your mind done gone, left the county farm [1] Mose Allison recorded the tune in his jazz-blues piano style for the album Transfiguration of Hiram Brown (1960).[15]. [18], "Baby Please Don't Go" was one of the earliest songs recorded by Them, fronted by a 19-year-old Van Morrison. NEW SONG: AC/DC - "Shot In The Dark" - LYRICS, HOT SONG: 21 Savage x Metro Boomin - "My Dawg​" - LYRICS. [41] The album was produced by Jack Douglas, who had worked on the group's earlier albums, and reflects a return to their hard rock roots. FAVORITE However, the A-side was largely ignored and "Baby, Please Don't Go" began receiving airplay. In the 1960s, "Baby, Please Don't Go" became a popular rock song after the Northern Irish group Them recorded it in 1964. Janovitz claims that Henderson's bass line "was later lifted by. [42] Edna Gundersen of USA Today called their version a "terrific revival. I believe there's a man done gone to the county farm, with a long chain on. [23], Janovitz identifies the riff as "the backbone of the arrangement" and describes Henderson's contribution as an "amphetamine-rush, pulsing two-note bass line. Title: Keep track of everything you watch; tell your friends. [33] The single entered the chart at the end of March 1975[37] and peaked at number 10 in April. Jimmy Page, a studio guitarist at the time, participated in the recording session, possibly on rhythm guitar. The song is registered as "Turn the Lamps [. Baby Please Don't Go by Them chart history on Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes and YouTube. 17 in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. Besides Morrison, there is conflicting information about who participated in the session.