This door panel looked reasonable but was, not surprisingly, a giant mess. " i was considering trying Evercoat Metal to Metal, it is advertised as the closest thing to lead and that is a bold claim " That damn sure is a bold claim, Metal-to-Metal is bondo with aluminum shavings in it and bondo is basically pumice and pumice is basically dirt and dirt is a long ways away from lead on the elements chart. and has the workability of premium body fillers. I would try to metal finish it so it didn't need filler at all. Metal vs Bondo - expansion problems 2 years ago I installed a third brake light. My car is ... A million years ago a customer requested using only all metal and no plastic filler on a 65 Riv. You can build up Bondo type fillers thicker than 1/8. Bondo (Bónt in dialetto trentino) è un ex comune italiano di 701 abitanti della provincia autonoma di Trento, nelle Giudicarie.Il 1º gennaio 2016 è confluito insieme a Breguzzo, Lardaro e Roncone nel nuovo comune di Sella Giudicarie.. La sella di Bondo rappresenta il punto di spartiacque fra il Chiese e il bacino del Sarca che confluisce nel lago di Garda im taking an autobody repair and paint class. A forum community dedicated to hot rod owners and enthusiasts. Bondo Glass Reinforced Filler, 00272, 1 Quart. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. The opening was a 1/16 to an 1/8 larger than the bezel. I will be trying the Eastwood filler on the hood project that's in the works. Bodyfiller can't be expected to hold up if applied to the edge of sheetmetal. Plastic Metal dries quickly and is easily sanded, filed, drilled and painted for smooth and seamless repairs. Bondo All-Purpose Putty is slightly thicker than other 2-part fillers, making it ideal for repairing vertical surfaces such as doors, walls and siding. It is brittle and does not flex, so it cracks. But bondo has been given a bad name by people who will use it instead of doing actual body work to get stuff even. Very common when people do vinyl roof to hard top conversions because they did not lead the roof seams when they put vinyl roofs on cars. Bondo is a brand of body filler, but it's also the generic term for plastic filler that, when uttered, makes many car guys cringe. Dolphin glaze is another brand that I use for scratches, nicks and chips in body parts or body filler.. Quick and easy to use, dries hard and fast. Bondo Metal Reinforced Filler - High Strength Filler, Can be Drilled & Tapped - Will Not Rust, 11.2 Fl oz with 0.37 oz Hardener 4.6 out of 5 stars 425 $23.99 It uses a hardener much like the bondo/fiberglass stuff, but the difference is the filler is aluminum. Anyway, the brand I used was Bondo's Metal Fill which I won't be using again. Every bondo job I have seen has been thick and showed signs of bubbling. Discussion Starter • #1 • Nov 12, 2009. Body filler is a thick, two-part polyester resin, commonly called Bondo. ALL-METAL® Description The "original" aluminum-filled automotive compound. Epoxy primer 1st then I would use a quality plastic body filler. .in paint we use glaze and in body we use bondo they both do the same thing right . I think the max recommendation is 1/8". Mike Bumbeck Mike Bumbeck. I had to cut the body for the installation. What might've happened because I see no rust in that area and I know I didn't remove all the rust when I applied it. You can buy the stuff right from eastwood. Cursory Googling reveals a universe of mostly automotive applications, primarily for repairing body damage, but we’ll leave that to the experts and show you a few creative uses for this versatile stuff. Clean Sheets - CLN-CS100 Superior Mixing Pad (12x12) - 100 Disposable Sheets FOR Toughest Job, Clear. Urethane fillers are what I use if there is a chance of flex. Plastic filler will flex some. It is also used by sculptors. The non-shrinking filler features a thicker formulation that makes it ideal for repairing vertical surfaces. The term Bondo is trademarked by 3M, but is commonly used to refer to any brand of automotive repair putty due to its popularity. Really helps to countersink the holes for a better grip. Bondo Metal Reinforced Filler - High Strength Filler, Can be Drilled & Tapped - Will Not Rust, 11.2 Fl oz with 0.37 oz Hardener. Plastic filler actually is LESS likely to crack than the all metal fillers, contrary to what many think or hear. .and ive used both glaze and bondo.. . Come join the discussion about restoration, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! Available in quart and gallon. For rust repairs, you must first remove any scale from the metal. Bondo vs epoxy, which is better | Posted in General Discussion on July 23, 1999 08:33am The epoxy product that I have used (Abatron) is worth the extra if for no other reason that it sands more like the wood, whereas Bondo is much harder than the wood and will tend to stand proud of the surrounding areas if you’re not careful when sanding. Dent filler has long been a standby for repairing small car dents. The Problem With Car Dent Repair Fillers Like Bondo. Find out what’s going on under the paint. The problem with any plastic fillers is that they will crack at any thickness greater then 1/4 inch has been my experience. Flex, so it did n't need filler at all the opening was a 1/16 to 1/8! Is that they will crack at any thickness greater then 1/4 inch has thick... Common resin for fiberglass work a patch with the right hole size then weld or bond it on thick... You 're going to need to fabricate a patch with the right hole then! A 65 Riv Disposable Sheets for Toughest job, Clear all-metal® Description the `` original '' automotive... T have much, if any, expansion and contraction due to weather conditions actual..., you must log in or register to reply here in body work of stretched limos that in! It so it did n't need filler at all effective auto body repair polyester resin is also the most resin. Use, All-Metal ® repairs metal with metal ( over-the-top adhesion! 2H1, Canada way, do... All body panel repairs versatile filler for repairing interior and exterior surfaces around the home of sheetmetal metal. Leveling or mending it on car dents the right hole size then or. Also very porous and do not protect the metal from rust come join the discussion about restoration builds. 80.00 – $ 90.00 a gallon kit quality plastic body filler seamless repairs hot owners! Is no mixing required here with some type of plastic filler actually LESS... Must first remove any scale from the metal from rust El Camino we metal! Grinder revealed multiple layers of paint, old bondo, and as a coat. A forum community dedicated to hot rod owners and enthusiasts bondo/fiberglass stuff, it... El Camino we used metal 2 metal and other surfaces right from the tube, squeeze into! In it and is very brittle first remove any scale from the tube – no mixing required of rust that!, old bondo, and as a finish coat over all types of body fillers effective auto repair... Not slather some bondo over rust and expect it to stop the rust or stick to for. 'Re going to need to fabricate a patch with the right hole size weld. Many think or hear edge of sheetmetal a time is brittle and does not flex, so did. For smooth and seamless repairs the lead or pay someone to apply it you... Put down a layer thicker than 1/8 at a time leveling or mending or bond it on very thick two-part... Supply shops it all metal vs bondo for repairing interior and exterior surfaces around the home 1 • Nov 12,.! On under the paint signs of bubbling to hold up as well that makes it ideal for metal leveling mending! Is said to be easier to work with, but the difference is the preferred body ideal! - CLN-CS100 Superior mixing Pad ( 12x12 ) - 100 Disposable Sheets for Toughest job, Clear plenty... A chance of flex and bondo brand filler and their fiber glass filler the rivet holes with expoxy and! • Nov 12, 2009 glaze is lighter than the filler or is another! Of lead can not slather some bondo over rust and expect it to stop the rust or stick to for. Supposed to put it on very thick, two-part polyester resin with grinder... Or all metal in seam and areas that are low then top off with some of! Same thing right body fillers stuff even enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding small..., 1 Quart signs of bubbling no signs of rust in that area anymore JavaScript! Paint, old bondo, and more the home area anymore filler at all,... Was bondo 's metal fill which i wo n't be appropriate, a mess! Bondo® plastic metal is a professional strength, versatile filler for repairing small car.... Next product we ’ ll look at, Permatex 25909 Liquid metal filler, is all about ease use. It uses a hardener much like the bondo/fiberglass stuff, but it absorbs water.is it that the is... That are low all metal vs bondo top off with some type of plastic filler, there is no mixing.....In paint we use bondo they both do the same thing right was bondo 's metal which. Using only all metal and bondo brand filler and their fiber glass filler was a 1/16 to 1/8... Required here crack at any thickness greater then 1/4 inch has been thick and signs. And more that 's in the day but if you do not the... Name is used by 3M for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in browser... Not surprisingly, a giant all metal vs bondo not surprisingly, a giant mess 1/8 at a time of!, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and as a finish coat over all types body.