I've been dreaming about this since I was a very little kid. We feel like he's going to continue to play a premium defensive position, and he's one of the elite college bats that's done just about everything you can do at that level. 1-ranked baseball team to the College World Series, and won LSU's Skip Bertman Award, which goes to the player who best exemplifies the spirit of the LSU Baseball program. 1 overall pick, Brady Aiken. It's been my dream since I was a kid to play in the big leagues, but my focus is definitely entirely on LSU right now. [citation needed], Bregman began playing tee-ball at age 4. After a promising season in 2018, fantasy baseball players that drafted Edwin Diaz in 2019 ...read more, © 2020 ABG-SI LLC. Despite having Correa in the Major Leagues for what they hope is a long time, the Astros envision keeping Bregman at shortstop and said he could move quickly through the system considering his age and playing level in college. Alex Bregman happy with Astros but ‘pissed’ Diamondbacks didn’t take him No. [87] In June he was named AL Player of the Month, after batting .306/.372/.713 in 108 at bats, with 11 home runs and 30 RBIs (a new Astros record for June). -- LSU head coach Paul Mainieri, in an interview with Perfect Game. Can he rebound in 2020? He made his major league debut at third base against the New York Yankees that same day. [124] On defense he had the second-highest fielding percentage of all AL third basemen, at .979, and played 42 games at third base. [12][13][18] His grandfather saw all of his games in high school. [115] Bregman broke out of his slump in Game 4 of the World Series by hitting 3-for-5 with a grand slam and 5 RBIs in an 8-1 Astros win that tied the series at 2-2. "I've been watching his career, and he's been spectacular. [95] The moment gained social media buzz with local Houston businesses and news outlets. He might not win the American League MVP award, but he’ll at least get consideration. part of the ill-fated Shelby Miller trade, Jon Jay’s bizarre triple lifts Diamondbacks to win over Astros, Clay Buchholz’s season over due to flexor strain in elbow, Burden has been heavy on Diamondbacks relievers, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. What do you see of him coming up this season? [4][55][56][58], The Houston Astros selected Bregman with the second overall selection in the first round of the 2015 MLB Draft. [22][23] His best friend is Blake Swihart, who played for the Arizona Diamondbacks. [9][10][11] His father played baseball as a freshman for the University of New Mexico Lobos in 1982, a team for which his uncle Ben Bregman also played; they both originally moved to Albuquerque to play baseball for the college on baseball scholarships. Tweet from @ABREG_1: Holy Cow.... #GeauxStros @astros what an honor! [7][12][37][38][39] Moreover, he was named 2013 ABCA First-Team All-South Region, National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Baton Rouge Regional Most Outstanding Player, Louisiana Freshman of the Year, and SEC Player of the Week (March 25, 2013), and named to the 2013 USA Collegiate National Team (for which he batted .361). 30 in college to reflect the number of teams that passed on him in the first round. [7] He shared an apartment that season with teammate and future fellow major league All Star Aaron Nola. [125] Through 2020 he had the 4th-highest career on-base percentage (.381), slugging percentage (.521), and OPS (.902) of all Astros batters, and the 8th-best career rate of at-bats-per-home-run (19.6). Bregman said he could tell the Diamondbacks weren’t interested in him. The one knock on ...read more, Falling just short of a .300 batting average in 2019, Jorge Polanco was solid at the plate with 100 runs and 22 home-runs. He instead chose to attend LSU, where he was named the National Freshman of the Year in 2013, while also winning the Brooks Wallace Award, given to the nation's best collegiate shortstop. When you're looking for a baseball player that can hit well over 300, it all comes with a guy that can take more walks and strikeouts. He started 2017 as the youngest member of Team USA, which won the gold medal in the 2017 World Baseball Classic, and ended the season winning the 2017 World Series with the Astros. [76], At age 22, Bregman started his 2017 baseball season as the youngest member of Team USA in the World Baseball Classic (WBC), which won its first gold medal in the WBC by defeating Puerto Rico 8–0 in the final. [104] He returned to action in spring training on March 2. Yahoo Sports. [73] He was the first position player from the 2015 Draft to debut in the Major Leagues. [26][28] That year, at the age of 16, he became the first high school player to win the USA Baseball Richard W. "Dick" Case Player of the Year Award.