The algorithm is described by this simple piece of Perl code: for ($level=1; $level<7; $level++) {   $new[$level]=0;   for ($k=0; $k<$new[$level-1]; $k++) {     $nfriends=20;      for ($m=0; $m<$nfriends; $m++) {        $rand=(10232193*$rand + 3701101) % 54198451371;       $friend= $rand % $n;        if ($a[$friend] == 0) {         $a[$friend]++;         $new[$level]++;       }       }   }   $npeople+=$new[$level];   print "$level: $new[$level] - $npeople \n"; }. Archives: 2008-2014 | Read More…, Jeep guy. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. This famous statement -- the six degrees of separation -- claims that there is at most 6 degrees of separation between you and anyone else on Earth. This is especially true if you allow people to only have two friends, rather than 20. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I like this example since it talks a lot about modeling the domain your graph will represent. Use Creately’s easy online diagram editor to edit this diagram, collaborate with others and export results to multiple image formats. Six degrees of separation is the theory that every person and every thing on the planet can be associated by six or less connections. In this case, it fails miserably, being able to produce only 32,768 (that is, 2^15) different values, while we need 2,000,000. We also explain how it applies to web crawlers: Any web page is connected to any other web page by a path of 6 links at most. Note that in practice, people are connected through clusters of people, not randomly as in this model. Watts and Strogatz showed that the average path length between two nodes in a random network is equal to log N / log K, where N = total nodes and K = acquaintances per node. Use PDF export for high quality prints and SVG export for large sharp images or … So I replaced it by a basic formula that fits the bill: This is what the computation of the variable $rand is for. Finally, all links that crashed were given the chance to be re-visited one more time, weeks later. And so on. We did it, and here is the size of the data gathered at each level (compressed, in bytes): The distribution is somewhat similar to the one shown in the first table, with a drop in the last level, and a rapid build-up during the first few levels. Hydroponic lettuce & veggie farmer. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I'm truly passionate about. (I've written over 3,000 articles here so far!) The most famous, of course, is the “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon” — where virtually any other individual on earth can be linked with this popular actor, by way of 5 other people or relationships. Publisher of a few of dozen websites. Several studies, such as Milgram's small world experiment, have been conducted to measure this connectedness empirically. It took several months to gather all these links, using a 2-second timeout for each webpage crawl, downloading only the first 16 KB of each page, using a highly distributed architecture, and accessing only a few webpages per domain. However, the funniest thing is the fact that someone has taken the time to caculate the percentages and “scores” for people who can be linked with Kevin Bacon (…and the fact that there are actually 1,048 OTHER people who are actually more popular and can be linked to more people than Kevin Bacon himself!) If you just take a look at the numbers, the six degrees of separation idea seems pretty plausible. Use PDF export for high quality prints and SVG export for large sharp images or embed your diagrams anywhere with the Creately viewer. These connections in turn have 20 friends, so at level two, you are connected to 400 people. Harley owner. No problem! I've worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo -- to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. Facebook, Badges  |  For example, imagine that you want to meet Will Smith and that, perhaps, you have a relative who works in an advertising agency . Supports over 40+ diagram types and has 1000’s of professionally drawn templates. It can be done on a laptop with multiple web crawlers running in parallel, if you are interested in only capturing 99.9% of the visible Internet. Tech geek. Share !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs"); You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites). Read More…, Copyright © 2004-2020 The Fun Times Guide | Privacy Policy | About | Contact | Sitemap, Watch him on Late Night TV with Seth Meyers, franklin.thefuntimesguide.com/the_face_behind_the_blog/, Try your hand at this game yourself by playing the.