More rarely, “hole” is a verb meaning “make a hole in something.” However, this is usually restricted to ships and boats (e.g., The torpedo holed the ship). Check out our guide on how to avoid errors when using these terms. For daily English language lessons and tips, like our Learn English Facebook page, follow us on Twitter, or subscribe to our YouTube channel. (b) Tim stared into the hole, and from its depths two blazing eyes stared back. Please use it for reference purposes only. This can either be an opening that goes through something to the other side or just a hollow in something: My favorite part of a doughnut is the hole in the middle. A rarer use of ‘hole’ is as a verb meaning ‘make a hole in something’: HMS Pathfinder sank after being holed by a torpedo. In the second, “whole” is an adverb modifying “swallowed” (i.e., it tells us that the snake ate the rat in one piece). Your email address will not be published. She wrote only that she was getting along splendidly and living in her own home, although in reality she lived in a, "The apartment was spacious and bright, with a view all the way downtown along the East Side. Your email address will not be published. Remembering Jane Straus | May 18, 1954—February 25, 2011 | Author of the original Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation. In all cases, then, “whole” refers to something being complete or undivided. In this case, it's an adjective. 'As a whole' can be used when talking about something that's considered as a group and not in parts. : *1661 , , The Life of the most learned, reverend and pious Dr. H. Hammond *:During the whole' time of his abode in the university he generally spent thirteen hours of the day in study; by which assiduity besides an exact dispatch of the ' whole course of philosophy, he read over in a manner all classic authors that are extant . 'Reggie,' he said, 'don't look at the. We take a closer look. The community as a whole is healing after the accident. Word Choice: Hole vs. The adjective whole means entire, complete, or unbroken. We see this in some words that start with “wh-,” including “whole.” However, English also includes the word “hole,” which is pronounced exactly the same despite the lack of a “w” at the start. For example: The first sentence here uses “whole” as an adjective to modify “week” (i.e., the entire week). hole or whole Hole refers to an opening in a solid or an hollow spot on a surface. For reasons far too boring to go into here, English spelling involves a lot of silent letters. Subject Exercises: All vs Whole Exercise 2 Other Vocabulary: However, they are very different in practice, so keep the following in mind: Since these words are so similar written down, and since spellcheckers won’t flag either term as “incorrect,” you also need to look out for accidental typos. (d) I was relieved to have the whole afternoon to myself. As nouns the difference between whole and hole is that whole is something complete, without any parts missing while hole is a hollow place or cavity; an excavation; a pit; an opening in or through a solid body, a fabric, etc; a perforation; a rent; a fissure. “Whole” is usually an adjective or adverb and refers to being complete. 12 years ago. Hole vs whole A hole is (1.) For reasons far too boring to go into here, English spelling involves a lot of silent letters. ThoughtCo uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Material created by Jane Straus and GrammarBook.com. Published: 29 May, 2018. But proofreading can help with that! . : Underline? Required fields are marked *. We see this in some words that start with “wh-,” including “whole.” However, English also includes the word “hole,” which is pronounced exactly the same despite the lack of a “w” at the start. J. Cheney Hole is a noun which means a gap or opening. Hole or Whole? BeeDictionary.com is an Online American English Dictionary with intuitive browsing interface. Sight, site and cite are examples of homophones - words that sound the same but are spelt differently. homonyms exercise. . "I ate a whole fish." In this lesson, we explain the difference between the homophones 'vain', 'vein' and 'vane'. ( 2) Gap, opening through something He escaped through a hole in the wall. "He is of whole mind, but the same cannot be said about his physical state." Whole. In this case, it's an adjective. A hole is a lack of something, like the hole in a doughnut (despite the confusing fact that the little nubbins of fried dough are called “doughnut holes”). As a noun, a ‘hole’ can mean a gap or opening. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Uh oh! In this lesson, learn how to use these words correctly. Whole wheat vs. whole grain: What’s the difference anyways? Views: 302. Adjective (en adjective) Entire. 'Hole' is a noun that refers to a hollow place. They might have had some tough times but on the whole, they're quite happy. All and Whole both mean the complete/full amount,number, duration, etc. He is very holy man. hole vs whole : Common Errors in English. About This Quiz & Worksheet. Four quarters make a whole. “Whole” can also be a noun, where it again refers to something in its entirety: Taken as a whole, the work of John Hurt is impressive. (c) There were only three bullies in the whole school, but they could make life miserable for you. (d) I was relieved to have the _____ afternoon to myself. Definitions The noun hole refers to an opening, a hollow place, a defect, or a dingy place. valleykat. a cavity, a hollowed-out place (2.) Log in, With Yuan Devaluation, China Digs a Hole for Commodities (, Back the wrong horse and bet on the wrong horse. Whole means an entirety of something, complete with no parts missing. Do you know the difference between 'hole' and 'whole'? Whole vs. Hole. The teacher wasn't wholly convinced by the explanation the student gave. While most of our site should function with out, we recommend turning it back on for a better experience. It looks like you have JavaScript turned off. Hole refers to an opening in a solid or an hollow spot on a surface. But both of these are “holes.”, We assume this is a hole full of baked goods. Whenever I stay at my mom's, I think it is an inconvenience to fiddle with two handles to adjust the temperature. The noun hole refers to an opening, a hollow place, a defect, or a dingy place. Hole and Whole, commonly confused words in the English language. Hole or whole? Questions will ask you to use the words in a sentence based on context. “Hole” is usually a noun and refers to an empty space or gap in an object. What's the difference between sees, seas and seize, and when do you use these words? We use it to say that something is complete or unbroken. I could see the lighthouse through the hole in the cave. With a “w” at the beginning, “whole” is typically an adverb or an adjective. In the first sentence above, “hole” refers to the opening that goes through the entire doughnut. In English, you might hear people say the following expressions involving 'whole'. In some cases, it could also mean a pit or trench. (a) Somehow the drapes caught fire and soon the _____ place went up in flames. Zoe could work her, "She did not believe in a modern-day economy, in which everyone played a part in a large and complex, "[Gabe] Paul leaned back with a mild smile. He's always involved in religious activities. In the second, it refers to a space dug into the surface of the ground. of something, without missing any parts. It refers to an empty space in something. (Photo: George Cummings). an animal burrow (4.) As a noun, whole means an entire amount or a thing complete in itself. ( 2) All that there is of something She spent the whole of the year in hospital. The word “hole” is almost always a noun. We explain more in this lesson. Copyright by Jane Straus/GrammarBook.com. Letter A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z. Hole : (noun) ( 1) Cavity, sunken or hollow place in a solid mass or surface That road is full of holes. Titles of Books, Plays, Articles, etc. I really prefer single hole faucets over three hole faucets because I think they are easier to use. an opening passing through an object (3.) Whole is a noun which means the entire thing or is an adjective which means full or entire. (c) There were only three bullies in the _____ school, but they could make life miserable for you. “Whole” and “hole” are completely different in meaning, though, so you won’t want to mix them up in writing. I could see the lighthouse through the hole in the cave. (a) Somehow the drapes caught fire and soon the whole place went up in flames. 'Hole' and 'whole' are homonyms that are often confused for each other. The most significant distinction between cased and open hole completions is the amount of equipment and manpower required in each procedure. in the United States, a hole may be a cove or small bay (5.) In both cases, though, it shows we’re discussing the entirety of something. The dictionary has very useful other features like, full definition, audio, IPA and spelled phonetics... Father and son record hole-in-ones on same hole during same Father’s Day round, Corn hole tournament will benefit Florence team for global program, Giant Black Hole's Dust Oddity Surprises Scientists, Whole Foods Co-CEO: Executive Pay Caps A Part Of Our 'Culture' (VIDEO), Whole Foods changes English-only store policy, Interesting words in the English language. In some cases, it could also mean a pit or trench. As a adjective whole is entire. Whole (adjective) From which none of its constituents has been removed. Quotation Marks. Italics? Sign up to receive the FREE weekly GrammarBook.com E-Newsletter. The word 'whole' can mean entire. This quiz is no longer functioning. Dr. Richard Nordquist is professor emeritus of rhetoric and English at Georgia Southern University and the author of several university-level grammar and composition textbooks. It's another way of saying 'oh dear'. "Rats bored a hole into Richard's desk." The words hole and whole are homophones: they sound alike but have different meanings. 'To go the whole hog' can mean to do something thoroughly and completely. Whole (adjective) Sound, uninjured, healthy. The words hole and whole are homophones: they sound alike but have different meanings. For a Great Vocabulary, have a Healthy Heart. Hole and Whole, commonly confused words in the English language. Definition provided at the top and a multiple choice options are spread around so that students have reminders on spellings. Whole: entirety (noun); entire (adjective). Open Hole Completion vs. Cased Hole Completion – Cost Implications. “Whole” means things like entire, complete, and healthy and is used in expressions like “the whole thing,” “whole milk,” “whole wheat,” and “with a whole … As a noun, a ‘hole’ can mean a gap or opening. What about 'holy' and 'wholly'? You might hear people say 'holy moly' which is and exclamation. Hole can be used as a verb meaning to climb into an opening. Professional Web Design by weblinxinc.com, Remembering Jane Straus | May 18, 1954—February 25, 2011. As above, this verb sense of ‘hole’ usually refers to damaging a ship or boat. “Hole” and “whole” sound the same and share many letters, so they can be easy to confuse.