Some still believe that Gibson’s Mosquito simply ran out of fuel or that it had a faulty fuel gauge on board which gave misleading readings.

[148], Gibson's death was formally announced on 8 January 1945.
The squadron was stationed at RAF Digby, but flew from a small satellite field at RAF Wellingore about six miles away. He had been on one training flight on 31 August to learn how to dive bomb and Mosquito crews knew they had to practise regularly, particularly in pulling out of dives.

He was ruthless in screening crews for reliability.

They flew out over Skegness and Cromer. He then went on to training bases at Carberry, Rivers, Dafoe, Moose Jaw and Moss Bank.

He was credited with a "probable" kill.

Churchill arranged for Gibson to meet the President at a private meeting.

Here he met the mother of the navigator in his own Dams Raid crew, Mrs Taerum. On 2 September he flew a Mosquito to Scasta in the Shetlands. [151], The plane crashed at Steenbergen in the Netherlands at around 22:30. The Bristol Blenheim was not designed as a night fighter and the Airborne Interception (AI) was still in its very early days of development. [170], Gibson proposed to Eve in October 1940 and she accepted.

The instructor added the comment "could do well". He went to Skegness to collect the tail assembly as trophy for the Squadron and the crew’s dinghy for himself. A photo was taken of the crew entering the plane. He went to Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and London (Ontario). [117] [81] On 24 April Wallis made a request for the altitude to be reduced to 60 feet. Some crews or pilots were known to him including Hopgood and Shannon, who by this time had transferred from 106 squadron to the Pathfinders) and 83 Squadron. because as one of these new flight commanders, he was seen as part of Widdows’ reforms and he had been chosen over an existing member of the squadron. The full Squadron flew down on 29 April. According to some around at the time, Gibson was effectively an accident waiting to happen. The laundry tag in a sock identified the other person as a "Guy Gibson". He made a similar flight in a Lightning a few days later to Le Harve.

On his return, the Squadron had moved to Ringway near Manchester under the Scatter Scheme.

Guy Gibson's medals on display at the RAF museum.

[5], In 1932 he started at St Edward's School, Oxford, the same school as Douglas Bader where he was also placed in the same house, Cowell's.
[citation needed], Graves of Gibson and Warwick in Steenbergen, Netherlands, Dam Busters memorial park, Steenbergen, Netherlands, The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) maintains Gibson's and Warwick's graves[185] which are still in Steenbergen's Roman Catholic Cemetery. He completed his final draft in September 1944.[128]. [108], On 2 August Gibson made his last fight with 617 Squadron. [96] At 02:10, he received an enquiry from HQ 5 Group asking whether any crews available to attack the Sorpe. He made some further interceptions but his guns or cannons failed. Cochrane came out to his plane to wish him well. [133] A short-list of candidates was drawn up, which also included AVM Bennett.

[83], Security was Gibson's constant concern.

L - R: Trevor-Roper, Pulford, Deering, Spafford, Hutchison, Gibson, Taerum,

Won the Victoria Cross for his performance on the dams raid.

[144] [106] They all went on to the Hungaria Restaurant to a dinner arranged by AV Roe, the builders of the Lancaster. Gibson’s bomb aimer, Sqn Ldr Richardson, a bombing instructor from RAF Manby, requested 12 practice runs over the target, but they still failed to damage the ship. [20] With the likelihood of war increasing and as part of a plan to improve standards, Gibson was sent on a navigation course at Hamble near Southampton. During this time, he acquired a reputation for being seemingly fearless, particularly as he was willing to fly in marginal weather. Gibson was seen as too valuable in terms of his propaganda value to be allowed to fly after the raid. Gibson was awarded the Victoria Cross for his leadership during the legendary Dambuster Raid of 1943.

Gibson and Warwick were driven over.

Humphreys and Hevron started the task of informing the next of kin. He then called in Knight, who made a single dummy run before releasing his bomb.

However, owing to various communications problems, one of the planes dropped its bombs on a Royal Navy submarine.

[74], The squadron commenced daily flying training at the beginning of April with long cross country flights with precise turning points. He was then transferred to 16 OTU at RAF Upper Heyford.