[9] A number of his shows were sold out last year including his Canberra performance at the Ainslie and Gorman Arts Centre.[10]. More by Darren Hanlon. He’s wonderfully polite and charming  in person, he makes consistently good records – this year’s I Will Love You At All very much included – and always manages to put on a wonderful live show to accompany them. Fingertips and Mountaintops Album. ... And so call on me soon The city's so fun If you can't find the sun Just turn on a lamp and pretend that it's one We kissed in a cafe, held hands on a escalator I Will Love You At All 2010 Little Chills 2004 Fingertips and Mountaintops 2006 Pointing Ray Guns At Pagans 2009 Hello Stranger 2002 Early Days 2000 Hiccups - … Darren Hanlon When asked to describe an intimate Darren Hanlon live show he'd just seen in a Chateau loft, this 7 yr old French kid, who didn't understand any of the lyrics, suggested it should be called "camping music." In case you missed it, Y,WGAV! Australian tunesmith Darren Hanlon traveled to the wilds of Portland, OR to record his fourth album, 2010's I Will Love You at All, and for someone who literally traveled halfway around the world to make this record, he sounds remarkably at home on these recordings. Oh, the things this did to my heart. “I swore everything I say is true, on a first-edition copy of Peter Pan…”. Hanlon is known for his engagement with his audiences, through his down-to-earth storytelling at live gigs. Hanlon's voice, an unlikely but successful fusion of Billy Bragg and John Wesley Harding, is an ideal vehicle for his songs, and as curious details such as ice cream, Elvis Presley, lost jewelry, and sorting out old clothes pop in and out of his stories, he gives them the texture of real life alongside the careful structure of poetry. Don't Bogart My Heart (Live) 2. Live at Yep Roc 15: Darren Hanlon, released 05 June 2020 1. I Will Love You at All was produced by Adam Selzer, who previously worked with M. Ward, the Decemberists, and She & Him, and he's an ideal match for the fusion of folkie simplicity and melodic sophistication that dominates Hanlon's songs; the arrangements and audio are clever and lively enough to keep the music compelling throughout without taking the spotlight away from Hanlon's voice and lyrics, which is where he truly stands out. He self-published his first 'zine in … Career. Top 30 Videos of 2010: 30 – 26 « Yes, We've Got A Video! Hi everyone, [1] He self-published his first 'zine in late 2017.[2]. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Now, they have teamed up for an ambitious project that sees Darren give a bit of proper acting a […]. Watch This Now: Darren Hanlon – “All These Things” ... played by the lovely Heidi Barrett – move in perfect choreography as they turn the song’s call-and-response into a conversation. Before becoming a solo artist in 1999, he was a member of the Simpletons, and contributed backing guitar and keyboards for the Lucksmiths, the Dearhunters, and Mick Thomas. View the profiles of people named Darren O Hanlon. [5], In 2015 Hanlon released his latest offering, Where Did You Come From? After the dissolving of Candle Records he has started his own pseudo-label called Flippin Yeah Records in 2008. Darren Hanlon has released five solo albums, four EPs, and nine singles on Candle Records and Flippin Yeah industries, as well as several compilation tracks. Hanlon is a writer who is witty without forcing the laughs, and there are more than a few chuckles to be found in "Folk Insomnia" and "Butterfly Bones," but he also uses his humor to leaven the heartbreak of his carefully observed songs about relationships gone sour, such as "House" and "Scenes from a Separation," and on "All These Things" and "What Can We Say?" Just throwing this one out there – Darren Hanlon has to be one of the nicest, most approachable and genuinely lovely people in Australian music. Turning his creativity to the written word, Darren Hanlon planned to write a series of stories based on conversations he has with barbers. Thank you so much for reading and for liking this page. Heidi’s smile is infectious, as is Darren’s geeky enthusiasm for the dances. Watch This Now: Darren Hanlon – “Butterfly Bones” « Yes, We've Got A Video! Darren Hanlon - Romance Is Deafening Lyrics. Though the whole thing will make you want to give both of them the biggest possible hug, my personal favourite scene in the video comes when the two make their way into a closet and come out in a winter wonderland, complete with earmuffs and scarves. Australian tunesmith Darren Hanlon traveled to the wilds of Portland, OR to record his fourth album, 2010's I Will Love You at All, and for someone who literally traveled halfway around the world to make this record, he sounds remarkably at home on these recordings. "Darren Hanlon - "Cutting Remarks" Vol 1 Zine", "Fingertips & Mountaintops: triple j music reviews", "Darren Hanlon: on searching and songs from the south | Music", "Darren Hanlon – Where Did You Come From? Check this, and then the new album. It’s a wonderfull low-budget affair, as the two transition from place to place with the use of nothing but simple props and painted backdrops. It’s just an insanely hard to dislike video – they’re just so darn lovely! He recommends me a book about Mulgan and all his other NZ expat writer friends called Dance of the Peacock’s, and then when he learns my name, another book by a famous NZ lawyer called Alfred Hanlon. Get the Darren Hanlon Setlist of the concert at The Princess Theatre, Brisbane, Australia on December 23, 2018 from the 2018 Christmas Tour and other Darren Hanlon Setlists for free on setlist.fm! Exclusive album stream | Music", "Darren Hanlon Announces Annual Christmas Tour Dates", "Ainslie + Gorman Arts Centres » Darren Hanlon 2017 Christmas Tour – Canberra", "New Compilation Album Released…Pointing Ray Guns At Pagans | Darren Hanlon", Flippin Yeah Industries - Official Website, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Darren_Hanlon&oldid=970334844, Wikipedia introduction cleanup from March 2020, Articles covered by WikiProject Wikify from March 2020, All articles covered by WikiProject Wikify, All Wikipedia articles written in Australian English, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Electric guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, "I Wish That I Was Beautiful For You" (2005), "Electric Skeleton/Butterfly Bones" (2008) (7" Only), "All These Things" (2010) (AU Digital Release only), "Butterfly Bones" (2011) (Digital Release only), This page was last edited on 30 July 2020, at 18:12. Darren Hanlon is an Australian singer/songwriter who plays urban folk music. [7], Hanlon regularly performs Christmas concerts. he can sound sweet and dour at the same time, charming the listener as he ponders the endless ways in which life can take unwelcome detours. Go go go. Change ). is done. He self-published his first 11-page zine in late 2017 and is called the Cutting Remarks[2] series. See my original post on the video here – and, if you’re feeling adventurous, listen to my acoustic cover […], […] Natalie van der Dungen, who has worked with Daz on most of his videos, including the adorable All These Things. Romance Is Deafening Lyrics. Darren Hanlon has released five solo albums, four EPs, and nine singles on Candle Records and Flippin Yeah industries, as well as several compilation tracks. It’s a wonderfull low-budget affair, as the two transition from place to place with the use of nothing but simple props and painted backdrops. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. I Will Love You at All sounds simple and sweet on the surface, but give it a few spins and you'll be surprised just how deep this music runs, and how many flavors can be found; this is indie pop that's intelligent and thoughtful without sinking into navel gazing, and offers rich melodic rewards along the way. After the dissolving of Candle Records he has started his own pseudo-label called Flippin Yeah Records in 2008. Folk Insomnia (Live) 3. He’s also got a slew of adorable videos in his body of work, too, with the latest being this little stretch of the imagination bringing to life one of the many highlights of Darren’s latest album. ( Log Out /  [8] In 2017 Christmas tour was his 12th year and brought with him the Space Lady for a special performance from the US. Darren Hanlon Lyrics. Darren Hanlon tabs, chords, guitar, bass, ukulele chords, power tabs and guitar pro tabs including i wish that i was beautiful for you, elbows, a to z, ostracism of vinny lalor, notes on leaving [6] Songs were recorded in New Orleans, Memphis, Muscle Shoals, Nashville and Clarksdale, with an array of musicians he met along the way, from instrumentalists of popular music Spooner Oldham, David Hood, Howard Grimes, to unknown buskers and street musicians. And they slide across the hardwood floor as if they’re skating. ( Log Out /  [3] He has toured with the Weather Station, Michael Hurley, Billy Bragg, David Dondero, Tim Kasher, Violent Femmes, The Magnetic Fields, and Courtney Barnett. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. In what looks like a high school auditorium, Darren and his female counterpart – played by the lovely Heidi Barrett – move in perfect choreography as they turn the song’s call-and-response into a conversation. ( Log Out /  […] to the song itself – never thought that could be possible! Described as having a certain brilliance,[4] Darren Hanlon is a spectacular songwriter; able to create a whole scene from the sum of its subtleties and wit interspersed with poignant moments. ( Log Out /  Join Facebook to connect with Darren O Hanlon and others you may know.