Taurasi is out for perhaps the first half of the season due to back surgery but counts as a roster spot as does injured forward Camille Little, who has a guaranteed contract. I'm taking this rehab really serious. "I think there's always an anxiety just because of the size of the league (12 teams, 144 jobs) and everyone is talented," Smith said. With the selection, Cunningham became the eighth Tiger drafted into the WNBA, the first since 2014. I'm just owning where I'm at, my position and my role, and I'm hanging in there.". The Mercury are the only eighth seed to win since the WNBA switched to its current playoff format in 2016. 8), Phoenix selected Stanford forward Alanna Smith. The Phoenix Mercury are an American professional basketball team based in Phoenix, Arizona, playing in the Western Conference in the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA). Skip to navigation. "Sandy understands it's a lot coming at us," Turner said. © 2020 www.azcentral.com. For her efforts, she was named as just the 12th All-American in program history, while also taking home the Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year award.

"They're phenomenal, they've fit right in," Bonner said. — Sophie Cunningham (@sophaller) April 10, 2019. The Phoenix Mercury bolstered its roster Wednesday, adding two first-round picks through the 2019 WNBA Draft. In her senior season at Stanford, the forward shot 51.5 percent from the field (39.7 percent from long range) to go along with 8.6 rebounds and 2.2 blocks.

I really hope it's here. Tuner, who returned this season after missing the Irish’s 2018 NCAA Championship season rehabbing a torn ACL, averaged 14.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 1.1 assists and 2.7 blocks in her four active seasons. With her fifth block of the night she surpassed Ruth Riley-Hunter for the most blocks in school history with 371. It's kind of like, 'Where do I go, what do I need to do, where do I eat?'

As the eight seed, the Mercury traveled to the Chicago Sky in the first round. Taurasi returned for six games during the season. Sue Bird has broken records and won championships around the globe. Phoenix Mercury Roster Team Roster. But the Mercury weren’t quite done yet in the first round as they were able to make a draft-day trade with the Atlanta Dream for No.

In August, the team went 5–6, but did secure a playoff spot. Joining the two first rounders in the desert is Mizzou’s all-time leading scorer Sophie Cunningham. draft day 2019. 11 pick Brianna Turner out of Notre Dame, Cardinals-Cowboys injury report: OLB Dennis Gardeck upgraded, Arizona Cardinals can host about 1,200 fans vs. Seahawks in Week 7, Keim: Cardinals must consider youth, money in replacing Chandler Jones, Sign up for the Arizona Sports Insider email.

"It's outside my box and helping me grow," said Cunningham, a second-round pick. But what they accomplished at Stanford (Smith), Notre Dame (Turner), Missouri (Cunningham) and Louisville (Carter) — and even so far here — can only go so far when it comes to roster-crunching reality. The knockdown shots, they're not afraid. Friday, she reaches another milestone: It's her 40th birthday. Welcome to the squad, Arica!#BeHeard x #WNBADraft pic.twitter.com/JUFOggvtnM. 6' 1" 170 lbs.

Phoenix Mercury net two first-round picks in 2019 WNBA Draft, Stanford's Alanna Smith, right, poses for a photo with WNBA COO Christy Hedgpeth after being selected by the Phoenix Mercury as the eighth overall pick in the the WNBA basketball draft Wednesday, April 10, 2019, in New York. EXP Experience. As the eight seed, the Mercury traveled to the Chicago Sky in the first round. NUM Number. WNBA Western Conference Player of the Week, WNBA Western Conference Player of the Month - August, "Diana Taurasi out for 10-12 weeks after undergoing back procedure", "Mercury Re-Signs Briann January to Multi-Year Contract", "Briann January: On re-signing with Mercury, addition of Essence Carson, 2018 shoulder injury", "Phoenix Mercury sign Odyssey Sims to offer sheet, re-sign Briann January, Yvonne Turner", "Mercury Signs Free Agent Wing Essence Carson", "Sancho Lyttle re-signs with the Phoenix Mercury", "Mercury Re-Signs Two-Time WNBA Champion Dewanna Bonner", "Atlanta Dream draft, trade Brianna Turner", "Mercury Acquire 2020 Second-Round Pick From Minnesota", "Jonquel Jones, DeWanna Bonner Player Of The Week Highlights", "Briann January Receives May Community Assist Award", "Tina Charles, Brittney Griner Earn Players Of The Week", "Seven-Time Selection Charles, Dupree, Highlight Reserves For All-Star", "Connecticut's Williams, Phoenix's Griner Win Players of the Week", "Delle Donne, Griner Named Players Of The Month", "Phoenix's Griner, Connecticut's Jones and Chicago's Vandersloot Earn 2019 WNBA Peak Performer Awards", "Rookie of the Year Collier Headlines 2019 All-Rookie Team", "Leilani Mitchell Named 2019 WNBA Most Improved Player", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2019_Phoenix_Mercury_season&oldid=961264599, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 7 June 2020, at 13:50. The Phoenix Mercury bolstered its roster Wednesday, adding two first-round picks through the 2019 WNBA Draft. But I'm going to control what I can control, and that's the only thing I really can do.". Visit ESPN to view the Phoenix Mercury Team Roster. The 2019 WNBA season was the 23rd season for the Phoenix Mercury franchise of the WNBA.

Print Page. The season tipped off on May 25, 2019 versus the Seattle Storm. Copyright: © 2020 ESPN Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. PLAYER Player Name. Taurasi returned for six games during the season. A two game losing streak split five wins. “God is going to place you right where He wants you because He doesn’t make mistakes” AMEN!!! The Dallas Wings and coach Brian Agler have agreed to part ways after two seasons, the WNBA franchise announced Wednesday. Missouri. [2] The team started out the season 5–5 by the end of June.
The Mercury did well at the end of season awards with Brittney Griner leading the WNBA in scoring, Brianna Turner making the WNBA All-Rookie Team, and Leilani Mitchell winning the WNBA Most Improved Player Award. The Mercury's season started with the news that star Diana Taurasi would miss a significant part of the season due to a back procedure. The rookies are living together in the same hotel while awaiting decision day. In exchange for the center’s draft rights, Phoenix shipped Marie Gulic to the Dream. The Mercury used the No. May 23, 2019 – Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) – Phoenix Mercury News Release PHOENIX – The three-time WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury today announced its 12-player opening night roster for the 2019 season in advance of the Mercury’s season opener on Saturday, May 25 in Seattle at 12:30 p.m. PST on ABC.

Hey there Twitter world! With their highest pick in the draft (No.