I was a baseball player, I taught baseball, and all of a sudden I was in the business world. Votes: 3, If I'm compared to Babe Ruth or Willie Mays, that's great. We are just reminded when we see these individuals on the stage what an incredible tapestry this country is, and what a great blessing to be in a nation where individuals as diverse, from wildly different backgrounds, can help to shape our dreams. When I was in Birmingham I used to go to a place called Redwood Field. That's how easy baseball was for me. But when I'm hitting, I hit anybody. There have only been two authentic geniuses in the world, Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare and I think you'd better put Shakespeare first, darling. Quotes.net. I played with Willie Mays and against Hank Aaron. They throw the ball, I hit it. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Those are God-given talents, too. Willie Mays got traded. 17 Oct. 2020. Yes, I had to learn how to live life outside, but I had so many people help me. So it was like a community thing. You show some positive things and everybody jumps on that and says you should be the next Willie Mays. Not too much, just enough to keep going. Billy Mays, They invented the All-Star game for Willie Mays. Every time I look at my pocketbook, I see Jackie Robinson. I’m a very lucky guy. But what it most truly is, is disguised combat. Willie Mays Quotes "Baseball is a game, yes. I just played every day and enjoyed what I was doing. Votes: 3, I had some great role models along the way. You must also be prepared to work hard and be willing to accept constructive criticism.

I would try and help everybody, because the game was so easy for me. So what? I wanted to be like them on the field, and I am so damn proud to join them in the Hall of Fame. It was just like walking in the park.

Votes: 3, I've always played for the acceptance of my godfather (Willie Mays) and father (Bobby Bonds). Ted Williams. Willie Mays was the best ever. I've got desire. That's what I did. They invented the All-Star game for Willie Mays. Votes: 3, I want to establish myself as the first Eric Davis, not the next Willie Mays. Votes: 3, There have only been two authentic geniuses in the world, Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare and I think you'd better put Shakespeare first, darling. I had some great role models along the way. The greatest challenge I think is adjusting to not playing baseball. I never dreamed about being President, I wanted to be Willie Mays. I think I was programmed to do good things when I came into the majors. You must also be prepared to work hard and be willing to accept constructive criticism. I had so many people help me over the years that I never had many problems. Robinson was important to all blacks. To make it into the majors and to take all the name calling, he had to be something special. I cried, I guess, because I loved baseball and I knew I had to leave it. - Willie Mays Visit FamousQuotes.com for more inspirational quotes. Mickey isn't sound and Willie is. If I'm compared to Babe Ruth or Willie Mays, that's great. Never got hurt. Willie Mays was the best baseball player I ever saw. If I had a problem, I could sit down with someone and they would explain the problem to me, and the problem become like a baseball game. It's tough on a young player coming up. At ten I was playing against 18-year-old guys.

The only time I was in the hospital was when I would get exhausted a little bit, and go in for a check-up or something. But I've got enthusiasm. I had so many people help me over the years that I never had many problems. Those are God-given talents, too. You show some positive things and everybody jumps on that and says you should be the next Willie Mays. How can you explain that You cry because you love her. I used to get there for a two o'clock game. That's part of the game. Votes: 3, Come on, when does it come to the point where your name can't come up in trade talks?

It depends on how many games there was. That was a lot of money in those days. I'm not sure what the hell charisma is, but I get the feeling it's Willie Mays. It is also a business. I want to establish myself as the first Eric Davis, not the next Willie Mays.

It's tough on a young player coming up. If I had a problem, I could sit down with someone and they would explain the problem to me, and the problem become like a baseball game.

We might have gotten rid of Willie (Mays) forever if I'd only struck him out. When I was in college I once made a catch like the one Mays made over his head.

Willie Mays got traded. He could do anything. I've got desire. I've got hustle. I played with the Birmingham Black Barons. When I'm not hitting, I don't hit nobody. We're doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe.If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we'll take care of it shortly. Sometimes when I'm lying in bed at night I think about it.
And at that particular time they didn't have black quarterbacks, and I don't think I could have made it in basketball, because I was only 5' 11". They hit the ball, I catch it. When I got to professional ball I used to play 150 games every year. Votes: 3, With the Giants I broadcast the debut of Hall of Famer Willie Mays. Complete list of quotes and quotations by Willie Mays. Willie Mays was the best ever. It still makes me warm. They should practice, because you want to know what's happening as far as - when the game is concerned. 1 And my father didn't have money for me to go to college. I've got hustle. I think that all athletes should practice. Major League Baseball player for 22 seasons, starting his career with the Giants in New York, remaining with the team during their relocation to San Francisco, and then ending his career with the New York Mets. I've been hearing this since I first joined the Reds organization, that I'm going to be the next this or that. . Just be yourself and you'll never have a problem.
For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps." "I can't tell you about moments because I wasn't into that. Web. I bought a 1950 Mercury.