Once the sentences are ready, cut them up and keep them in separate cups or bags. Learn life skills for living in a new place. 9 Grin-worthy Spanish Classroom Games for All Ages. Why Play This Game? You need experience and interaction! Strategies and tools for working with young language learners online. Don’t be afraid to integrate them into your experience! Inside: Tips, demos, hacks, videos, and examples for teaching Spanish online. Flip a coin to decide which team goes first and once you have your first player, have them draw a paper. For about seven years. They should incorporate social media, visual aides and a short video to sell their product. What you’ll have to do is write sentences and color code them. It improves vocabulary, and it encourages creativity. Learning Spanish is more advantageous than ever, because it is the second most natively spoken language in the world. The student directing then has to do movements or gestures that everyone else will copy. What’s more, games get rid of the pressure or anxiety of making mistakes in front of our peers (which we’ve all felt at a certain point), and this makes the learning process run a lot smoother. I thought I was writing some emergency tips to get us through a month (maybe two) for distance learning. After that, give them the correct translation of the lyrics and take the time to discuss the meaning of the song so that they have context. Hundreds of teachers made the switch to online teaching or distance learning. These activities can be done live with students (such as on Zoom) or remotely via video taping and uploading to the platform you are using. You can decide how long you want to continue with this game. In short, PBL is a shift from teacher-centered instruction to student-led discovery through projects. earned a point. Each column will have a category: name, country, animal, color, food, object and a “total” column for the players to keep track of the points they earn on each round. Direct students to. Learning a foreign language becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. I a, Need a fun activity for for #backtoschool? Your email address will not be published. Basically, students employ the “Flipped Teaching” method. This is really helpful. Students should find actual places to stay, eat, make money, etc. You can continue until one of few people are left in the game. Please send me links and videos if you have more suggestions that would be helpful to other world language teachers. Much like the show, small groups in your class are given the name of an unfamiliar Latin American/Spanish city and are asked to investigate all aspects of the culture and life there, in order to survive and become a contributing individual in that society. Bonus: For a much quicker version of this project, the questions could be turned into a card game (in fact, there’s even an English card game with the same name). Presentation: Small groups present, “Shark Tank” style, to a group of lower-level Spanish students. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Ask everyone to suggest letters and if they’re part of the word, write it down in place. A homemade document camera. Why Play This Game? Suggestions for making digital assignments for Google classroom. How to Automate Teacher Emails & Save Time! Games help us improve and they motivate us to learn beyond our limits. And when this whole thing is over, these make excellent sub plans as well! She has not left her house or seen her friends in 52 days. For tons of ideas and a free online lesson, keep reading. Project Based Learning provides authentic opportunities to work with Spanish language and Hispanic culture. What is the best way to present the material to students in the future? ¿Qué es? You can also adapt the game to the level of knowledge of the group, so you can use it to practice verbs, nouns, adjectives, sentences, difficult words, etc. This game is an excellent way of putting your brain to work instead of just turning to the dictionary. Put them in a bag or a bowl so you can choose one at random. It is a challenge but it is look like it was all paid off! Social distancing games: Mafia; Bingo and Strip Bingo; Wordchunk Game IF you divided the room into two … Dealing with COVID-19 Closures: Getting Through This STRONGER from Tina Hardgaden, COVID-19 Survival Guide: Making a Reading to Provide Input with a Packet with Tina Hardgaden. to make their plan. Send those articles to newspapers or post them on a class blog. Love this activity to prac. Choose a video for the subject that you’re learning or let your students choose what they’d like to learn. Students can complete these without any supervision. #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram #covıd19 #zoom #teachingwithzoom, A post shared by Krissy Venosdale (@krissyvenosdale) on Mar 18, 2020 at 7:05am PDT. In the Spanish classroom, PBL provides students with the opportunity to interact with the culture and the language by being immersed in meaningful experiences. Place a chair in the middle of the classroom facing the other players, with its back to the board. This is one of the classics but the downside is that it gets boring very fast, so it is best used as a warm up at the beginning of a class. The lower-level students vote on which group’s method is most understandable and who they want to “invest in.”. I stated slowly and clearly, “ Busca un zapato rojo ” and the first student to find the object, show it to me and yell ¡Lo tengo! ¡Hola! Small groups must choose their country and create a character who is living through that particular crisis. This project is a “spin-off” of the hit TV show “Survivor.”  On that show, teams are dropped off at remote locations around the world and have to work together to “survive” (i.e., win the game). Because it’s impossible to play a “virtual” tagging game, we made it for students to look for an object of that color in the room. By not sharing a screen, it also becomes possible to see every student. today i failed my math test, then went home and slept, which felt so good; better then the sleep i would have had in Spanish. YouTube Spanish Grammar Videos. There’s an old Chinese proverb that says: “Tell me, and I’ll forget. Join to stay up to date with other teachers and get help if you need it. Acknowledge, Educat, Repost from @thewokecoach Distance Learning Games Scavenger Hunt- I played this with both my classes, and it was hilarious! It’s a simple but fun way to get students talking! I have included an explanation and notes as well, all for free. Games offer a break from tedious work, but not a break from learning. How can we help? Fun for Spanish Teachers is the result of my passion for teaching Spanish to children and my desire to inspire collaboration and creativity in a vibrant teaching and learning community. How can I get more people interested? I am not familiar with platforms other than Zoom, but in Zoom the host can choose to privately chat with a student. Small groups are then tasked with learning the material completely, and then in turn must figure out the best way to teach the material to lower-level Spanish students. I’m already investigating a level 2 hack with a cardboard stand, but for now, I wanted to share for my friends around the globe embarking on trying to share videos or videoconference with their at home learners. Anyway, we came up with the list below while brainstorming with some of my students about quick games we could do in class without the need to share my screen. During these crazy times of distance learning, I think it’s really important that we let our kids laugh as much as possible! How to Play: Brené Brown– obviously– says it better than me: “Understanding the difference between healthy striving and perfectionism is critical to laying down the shield and picking up your life. How to Play: Understand different ways of life. How the one-and-only La Maestra Loca records a class for her elementary students! © 2020 Enux Education Limited. Hey! While that student has his/her eyes closed, choose another student to direct the group. The story is about a girl who is sick and tired of Coronavirus and distance learning. Ideas from one Spanish teacher to another. If they words are repeated, they each earn 50 points, and if they’re not, the player earns 100 points.