[6]:338– In time, they came to represent thinking of absent friends in the language of flowers. & A.E. On Aug 31, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote: I love zinnias, and my Mother and other relatives always had them in their Summer gardens, both in Louisiana and in Georgia. It is native to Mexico but grown as an ornamental in many places and naturalised in several places including scattered locations in South and Central America, the West Indies, the United States, Australia, and Italy.[4][5][6][7][8][9]. It was formally described as Zinnia violacea by Cavanilles in 1791. There are now many cultivated forms of Zinnia elegans, which are grown as bushy annual bedding plants in vivid shades of red, orange and deep pink. The daisy-like … Systema Naturae, Editio Decima 2: 1189, 1221, 1377, "Saving Butterflies Insect Ecologist Spearheads Creation of Oases for Endangered Butterflies", "Language of Flowers – Flower Meanings, Flower Sentiments", "First flower grown in space shows there is 'other life' out there", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Zinnia&oldid=971681302, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 7 August 2020, at 15:53. Their flowers can also take several shapes. But there is another variety that I know is a zinnia but it does not have any petals. I planted quite a few this year to attract butterflies, but our incessant rain in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, has really discouraged my zinnias, and I only have a few blooms in August, which should be the height of their flowering. Unique, Zinnia elegans 'Zinderella Peach' boasts eye-catching, frilly, semi-double and fully double flowers, 2.5 in. If you want bushier plants, remember to deadhead the plant when the first flower bud, almost always on top of the plant, emerges. They provide a tremendous bang for your buck in regard to their value in a garden. Borne atop sturdy stems, the luminous blossoms float above the fresh green foliage and make a bold statement in the landscape. Colors … As the flower matures, a circle of small golden stars surrounds its center disk. Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater, Grow outdoors year-round in hardiness zone, This plant is attractive to bees, butterflies and/or birds, Allow seedheads to dry on plants; remove and collect seeds. Air circulation is important. Zinnia elegans, also known as Zinnia violacea, is the most familiar species, originally from the warm regions of Mexico being a warm–hot climate plant. Fertilize once when established with fertilizer pellets specified for flowering plants. I could plant other varieties but once I started planting them, I never went back. On Mar 8, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote: Though Zinna elegans might sound pretentious, the zinnia is a simple, cheery garden flower that's related to the black-eyed Susan, marigold and aster. across (12 cm), packed with rich rosy-pink petals that twist and curl gracefully. Atha. No reported toxicity to Zinnias seem to be a favorite of butterflies as well as hummingbirds, and many gardeners add zinnias specifically to attract them.[9]. Zinnia elegans is an annual flowering plant native to Mexico. Zinnia Elegans, known as common zinnia, is an old garden favorite with many cultivars available. Resembling cactus dahlias, they are borne on very long, sturdy stems and make a big statement in the landscape. They make beautiful fun bouquets and are indispensable in the summer garden for color and a pollinator circus. Their petals can take different forms as single row with a visible center (Single-flowered zinnia), numerous rows with a center that is not visible (Double-flowered) and petals that are somewhere in-between with numerous rows but visible centers (Semi double-flowered zinnia). talk about bang for your buck! Cut off spent blooms to insure the continued production of beautiful full size flowers. Likes plenty of water and liquid fertilizer. :-). to a deep rich purple. I love the zinnia, even with that horrible mildew they still put out such beautiful blooms. Crosses have been made between elegans and angustifolia that flower for 120 or more days here. It receives full morning sun and then is protected by neighboring tree foilage. e if the are planted in full (most important) sun, watered at the base of the plant early in the day, and if I give them good soil and fertilize through the growing season. Blooming profusely over a lengthy season extending from early summer to frost, they are perfect for the sunny border or containers and make lovely bouquets enjoying a vase life of up to two weeks. I tried cutting some of them down to about a foot hoping they would "start over" but they didn't so I wound up with sticks that had stems everywhere with lots and lots of flowers.I wonder If I had "pruned them early if this woody look could have been prevented. Zinnias are grown in the summertime and bloom all summer long. We are in zone 8a/8b - it will get hot and dry in the summer Leander, Tx.) 2000. Memoirs of The New York Botanical Garden 85: i–ix, 1–246, Kirkbride, J. H. & J. H. Wiersma. form a strategic partnership called N.C. The dwarf types bloom all the way to the first freeze and come in colors of orange white and pink. Here this plant reseeds itself somewhat easily. Araniva de González. I did plant the white one year they did not look so good like...dirty...I will not be planting the ourity strain again. Flowers may be single with one row of petals leaving their center exposed, semi-double with several rows of petals still leaving the center exposed, fully double with several rows of petals hiding the center of the flower, or cactus-like with long petal whose edge rolls back along part of their length, giving the flowers a spiky look. You just have to love the variety of colors, plant heights, and flower styles that these easy to grow flowers provide. So give Z. eleganz a try. across (12-15 cm), packed with brilliant coral petals. It nectar-pollen-rich-flowers. If they get aphids I do spray the foliage to get rid of them. This variety is also earlier flowering. They attract butterflies of many types, the ruby-throated hummingbird and several species of birds that devour the seeds. Zinnia elegans 'Pinca' features large, fully double flowers, 5 in. La Flora de Jauneche: Los Ríos, Ecuador 1–512. I had never heard anyone outside of my family refer to them as such until I saw the OM reference in Welch and Grant's heirloom book. The striking flowers are terrific for cutting and bouquets. Zinnias are easy to grow with potential heavy blooms that gush in color. They are kind of fuzzy. NC State University and N.C. A&T State University work in tandem, along with federal, state and local governments, to Bees, Does not attract Zinnia elegans (syn. The zinnias I plant sometimes get up to 4"-5" in diameter and are always a show stopper! Over 100 cultivars have been produced since selective breeding started in the 19th century. It is also more resistant to powdery mildew than Z. elegans, and hybrids between the two species have been raised which impart this resistance on plants intermediate in appearance between the two. Around 1790 Z. elegans (Zinnia violacea) was introduced and those plants had a single row of ray florets which were violet. Zinnias are popular garden plants with hundreds of cultivars in many flower colours, sizes and forms. Becoming a contributing member of Gardenia is easy and can be done in just a few minutes. Plants will become lanky so do pinch back stems during early growth to promote bushiness of the plant. Tall, Zinnia elegans 'Orange King' boasts huge, full double flowers, 5-6 in. You get bushier plants and a longer bloom time, too. Noted for its unique bicolor pattern, Zinnia elegans 'Zowie! These blue and silver plants show to advantage against the... Use our interactive toolsto design your dream garden. Read our Commitment to Diversity | Read our Privacy Statement. Horses, No reported toxicity to They are bushy, leafy annuals that typically grow 1-3’ (less frequently to 4’) tall on upright, hairy, branching stems. The top soon starts to grow more leaves and roots will form to make a short compact version of the mildewed parent plant to add to containers for late color. They typically range in height from 10 to 100 cm tall (4" to 40"). I have taken the flower buds and a few inches of stem and disgarded the mildew and stuck this part of the plant in moist soil. Zones: Annual Height/Spread: 3 to 4 feet tall, 2 to 3 feet wide Exposure: Full sun Bloom Time: Spring to frost Color: Golden yellow (shown), deep red, orange, … To use the website as intended please  The garden zinnia was bred via hybridisation from the wild form. This year I plan to plant a few different zinnia mixes I have recieved from several trades, Colorado, New Zealand, and Spain, I cannot wait to see what comes of these seeds. The daisy-like flowers may be single, semi-double or double, in shades of scarlet, rose, orange, yellow or white. We are growing this plant at high altitude in two situations for the journal of the plant's adaptation to it's environment. Proposal to conserve the name, "Biota of North America Program 2014 county distribution map", "Zinnia elegans : Zinnia – Atlas of Living Australia", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Zinnia_elegans&oldid=982962320, Taxonbars using multiple manual Wikidata items, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 11 October 2020, at 12:29. On Oct 16, 2003, LittleShima from Tucson, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote: I planted zinnias in a bed that is about 3'x15'. Banco Central del Ecuador, Quito, Balick, M. J., M. H. Nee & D.E. (2007). Some may be grown indoors. I planted a couple of new (for me) varieties this year, some of the pastels scabiosa mix, peppermint mix, white purity, and some of the california giants agaIN THEY ALL GREW WONDERFULLY WITH ALMOST NO CARE. It's a favorite of skipper moths. Its long, sturdy stems make it a wonderful addition to bouquets. 1759. Description: Good background bedding and border plants, and excellent cut flowers. The uncultivated plant grows to about 30 in (76 cm) in height. On Aug 8, 2014, FlyPoison from Rock Hill, SC (Zone 7a) wrote: Zinnias are my favorite non-native annual to plant each and every summer. They have turned what was a sad little display around my mailbox into something above par. Zinnia elegans 'Queeny Orange' features eye-catching, double flowers, 3 in. On Nov 18, 2003, VeganGurl20 from Tulsa, OK wrote: These flowers are so easy to raise, they grow incredibly fast, and they are very pretty. Colors depend on hybrid. Blooming profusely over a lengthy season extending from early summer to frost, this Zinnia has received Novelty status for its improved doubleness and better plant habit for landscaping and cut flowers.