If, for example, you had an artery dissection (like a cerebellar artery), it can be quite painful, though should not come in shocks but more continuous pain in your neck or back of head. These feelings are not only annoying but SCAREY! I am having the exact same symptoms. Sometimes these sensations are painful, come with dizziness, and might last for a few seconds, days, and even months in severe cases. How long did it take for you to regain coordination? It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. One of the most unbearable withdrawal symptoms reported are brain zaps (also sometimes called brain shivers, brain shocks, head shocks, and electrical shocks). Didn't find the answer you were looking for? it is possible, however, that you may be reexperiencing that again. thanks for responding - I did have a check for vertebral dissection and some strange inner ear thing that can cause sinus arteries to clot - but both were negative. I have heard that Zoloft can make you dizzy, but the electric shock feeling goes along with the withdrawl. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. The following are common descriptions of the anxiety brain zap, head zap symptoms: It feels as if your head or brain has been suddenly jolted by an electric shock or electrical charge. Here are 12 simple – and fun! I just switched my anti-depressent last Monday back to Prozac and these feelings now are almost continuous. I get the same electric shocks and dizziness. Multiple sclerosis is a chronic neurological condition characterized by inflammation of the nerves of the brain and body. I am on 40 mg of Prozac and 30 mg Buspar for anxiety/depression. – ways to boost your brainpower. Several neurological disorders can give rise to neuropathic pain. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. I was also a healthy person. Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease, The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. Possible causes of irritation or injury to the occipital nerves include trauma to the back of the head, chronic neck muscle tension, arthritis of the spine bones of the neck, degenerative disk disease in the neck, diabetes-related nerve damage and tumors that compress the nerves.cause: Multiple sclerosis is a chronic neurological condition characterized by inflammation of the nerves of the brain and body. By using this Site you agree to the following, By using this Site you agree to the following, 2018 General Information on Dry Eyes-Now known as Ocular Surface Disorder, TMJ – What a Pain in the Neck! Some hereditary nervous system disorders can also cause this troublesome symptom. I don't understand. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Although trigeminal neuralgia is not a life-threatening disorder, the pain attacks can prove disabling 2. I have these same feelings, sometimes I can go for a couple weeks without feeling them, then it comes back as a constant. I did 5 days later(earliest they would see me) an MRI was done that showed my stroke. The electric shock like sensation is actually a part of the discontinuation syndrome, where one suddenly stops the drug (SSRI family). I hate this feeling. It took up to four weeks one time after stopping Celexa for the shocks to stop, and I do still occasionally get the sensation, just not to that degree. My doctors have also just shrugged it off when I'd complain (over the past 13 years). Pain may also occur on the side of the head or behind the eye. Brain zaps are electrical shock sensations in the brain. I have had a coupoe of ear infection lately, and I want to go get an ENT, but I wanted to see if any one can related to these symptoms. I get an electric shock/pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet, accompanied with a flash of diziness. Many other conditions can cause neuropathic pain that may feel like electrical shocks. I have been having your same symptoms. I haven't missed any doses, so I don't know why. Subscribe to MedHelp's free newsletter for Community Support, Experience, and Guidance. I have told my doctor and he just seems to dismiss it like I don't know what I am talking about. The most outstanding symptom of occipital neuralgia is an intense, sharp and jabbing pain in the back of the head and neck, which is similar to an electric shock. you should clarify with your doctor whether they checked for a dissection. Maybe something else will work better. I have had these same symptons for about 3 years (on and off, more off). I do tend to get these symptoms more when I have missed a day or 2 of my Effexor, I'm *guessing* that's the cause but not 100% sure! Trigeminal neuralgia most commonly occurs in people older than age 50, with women disproportionately affected. The electric shock feeling can be due to occipital neuralgia. “Elegant Ecology”, Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGD, FICCMO, Acute Migraines Relieved By Beta Blocker Eye Drops, Alzheimer's Disease: Current Concepts & Future Directions, Causes of Headaches and Treatment for Headache Pain, New Gene Discoveries Shed Light on Alzheimer's.