There is often a policy of leaving off the additional s on any such name, but this can prove problematic when specific names are contradictory (for example, St James' Park in Newcastle [the football ground] and the area of St. James's Park in London). An apostrophe is a figurative language that can be used to make a simple expression more creative. You may also check out examples of an oxymoron in sentences. You may also like examples of assonance. [46], Australia's Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping also has a no-apostrophe policy, a practice it says goes back to the 1900s[47] and which is generally followed around the country.[48]. I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race.”. Which means that the technique is ubiquitous in many of the famous literary works we know. Below are a few examples of the use of apostrophes in literature. For guidelines on apostrophe usage in Wikipedia, see, "Apos" redirects here. Odes are usually directed to an absent object or person who is not present. Hence, this is a classic example of apostrophe. The solution was to use an apostrophe after the plural s (as in girls' dresses). Apostrophe, a rhetorical device by which a speaker turns from the audience as a whole to address a single person or thing. To help your students better understand apostrophe, you may want to incorporate some activities into your instruction. A similar facility may be offered on web servers after submitting text in a form field, e.g. By the 18th century, apostrophe + s was regularly used for all possessive singular forms, even when the letter e was not omitted (as in the gate's height).

For example: Furthermore, an apostrophe may be used to indicate a glottal stop in transliterations. Their paintings may be abstract or literal, but they should show something about how the apostrophe impacts the emotional tone of the poem, passage, or scene. However the terms have similar start but their meanings are very different. 2. Failure to observe standard use of the apostrophe is widespread and frequently criticised as incorrect,[76][77] often generating heated debate. "his and her children"). (For example, in the USA and UK, the notation 5′ 7″ signifies 5 feet and 7 inches}. Example 8: Sire (By W. S. Merwin)Another apostrophe example comes from the poem Sire, written by W. S. Merwin: “Forerunner, I would like to say, silent pilot,Little dry death, future,Your indirections are as strange to meAs my own.